PDA

View Full Version : How much gas does your mower use per Hour?

Soupy
04-16-2005, 05:09 AM
I just got a new mower with a 27hp Kohler on a 52" Hustler Z. I am figuring about 1.1 gallons an hour. I filled it up and it ran out right at 10 hours. The tanks are 12 gallons, but I only put 11 gallons in because 12 would fill it to the very top and make a mess.

This mower only registers hours when the blades are running. I was able to cut 36 lawns on one tank averaging $35 per lawn. 9 of these lawns were cut with a different mower (36") in back though.

I thought the 27 Kohler would cost me more in gas then my 23 Kawi (same mower only 400 more hrs) but that doesn't seem to be the case. The Kohler is a little better. One thing I noticed is that the Kohler doesn't work as hard as the 23 Kawi. The 27hp on a 52" can go through some thick grass. My time spent cutting was cut way down too. I didn't have to double cut many lawns that the 23 Kawi on the same mower would have to.

My 23Kawi/52 Hustler is a 2001 (Had 50hrs at the start of last year) model with 450 hrs but has the same deck etc. The other difference that might change the fuel consumption is the 23 Kawi didn't have the Donaldson air filter.

I am very glad I went with the bigger engine size. A lot of people would think it is overkill, but so far it has proved to be a wise decision. Like I said gas consumption doesn't seem to be an issue and the added power has saved time.

I would like to hear what some of you other guys are using per hour? Please state your engine size, make/model of engine, mower size, and make/model of mower.

MOW ED
04-16-2005, 05:45 AM
I have a 26EFI and I have a 4 gal tank on the Walker. I get about 6 hours out of it.

ProMo
04-16-2005, 08:25 AM
I demoed a 27hp generac put in over 8 gallons of fuel and ran dry with 4 hrs on the meter

grass_cuttin_fool
04-16-2005, 08:30 AM
At my dealers open house back in March, they are saying that the newer model kohlers are alot more fuel effiecent than just 2-3 years ago

Soupy
04-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I have a 26EFI and I have a 4 gal tank on the Walker. I get about 6 hours out of it.

Now that's good gas mileage!!! I figure you are getting about 1/2 gallon and hour better then my 27 Kohler. With todays price at $2.14 down from last weeks $2.25 you are saving about $1.05 per hour compared to me. If you keep your mower for 1000 hours it will pay off to have purchased the EFI based on gas usage only. If you keep it for 2000 hours you will more then double your money back. You made a Wise choice. I didn't have the extra grand up front :(.

Soupy
04-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I demoed a 27hp generac put in over 8 gallons of fuel and ran dry with 4 hrs on the meter

That's 2 gal an hour. over $4/hr just for gas for that thing. With todays gas prices we should be looking real close at which engines get what gas mileage today.

Soupy
04-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Bump... Doesn't anyone know their gas mileage? I guess it's back to talking about lowballers :(.

ALarsh
04-16-2005, 10:23 PM
I have a 27 kohler on a 60" turboforce deck. I would say I am getting a little less than you are (If I were to give an estimated guess, I would say 1.2-1.3 gallons/hr). I can't give you an exact answer yet because I don't run the tanks dry (I do not carry gas tanks with me so I fill up before I leave).

Envy Lawn Service
04-17-2005, 12:48 AM
48" ZTR with 21hp Kawasaki, also without canister air filtration. SuckZ.

The best I have EVER got out of this engine is 1.25 gallons/hr or 0.8 hrs per gallon.

Funny part is also sorta like your situation Soupy. Exact same mower with a 25hp Briggs gets twice as good at best. Yeah, 0.66 gallons/hr or 1.51 hrs per gallon.
The Briggs has never burned over one gallon. On average more like 0.75-0.80 gallons/hrs.
As a general rule of thumb, feels like twice the power, at half the fuel consumption.

I don't see what everyone thinks is so great about Kawi-Power?
Torque Torque Torque, that's all you hear.
Feels stronger than higher HP engines.

My azz..... they need to try a Briggs out for power.

But if you want real power and torque with the best fuel consumption, go DIESEL.
Yall are gonna be sick when some of the diesel owners start posting 0.5-1.0 gallon/hr of non-road taxed diesel.
(50-some cent cheaper in NC)

Appalachian landscape
04-17-2005, 01:21 AM
I think my walk behind gets about 2/3 gal per hour.

Travis Followell
04-17-2005, 07:24 AM
We've got a new Ferris IS 3000 with a 61" deck and a 26 hp liquid cooled vertical shaft Kawasaki and from what i can tell were burning about 1.1 gallons an hour.

We have also got a Woods 60" ztr with a 25 hp Kohler thats about 5 years old and it burns about 1.5 gallons an hour.

Critical Care
04-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Appalachian, I have a 21" Honda HRC 216 with a half gallon tank, and I bet I could run that straight for the hour. It would be hard to believe that you'd have to fill yours four or six times per hour...

And Mow Ed, I've been wondering about the efficiency of my EFI Walker. Six hours, eh? I'll have to check, but that figure sounds a bit high since that equates to two thirds of a gallon per hour. But, if that is true, and if our average mow speed is 5 mph, then we're getting 7.5 miles per gallon.

By the way, all of my machines use a lot less fuel per hour when they're not running.

Appalachian landscape
04-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Appalachian, I have a 21" Honda HRC 216 with a half gallon tank, and I bet I could run that straight for the hour. It would be hard to believe that you'd have to fill yours four or six times per hour...

And Mow Ed, I've been wondering about the efficiency of my EFI Walker. Six hours, eh? I'll have to check, but that figure sounds a bit high since that equates to two thirds of a gallon per hour. But, if that is true, and if our average mow speed is 5 mph, then we're getting 7.5 miles per gallon.

By the way, all of my machines use a lot less fuel per hour when they're not running.

my exmark gets 2/3 gal per hour. 5 gallon tank. my honda get great gas per hour. maybe 3 hours to a gallon.

iluvscag
04-17-2005, 07:52 PM
:waving: 29 Kawasaki DFI and guess how much?

0.8 an hour.

MOW ED
04-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I have been watching it this spring but the PTO isn't always spinning when I am dethatching so it might not be a totally accurate assessment but as of now I'm doing pretty good on the gas.

sweetz
01-05-2011, 08:49 PM
What are some #'s now?