PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Emergence Control in Beds

jrblawncare
02-15-2001, 06:15 AM
It's looking good for a bid I just put in on a few commercial sites....I will be Re-muching in total apx.5000 sq.ft.of landscape beds....weeds have been a problem in the past.What would you recomend for Pre-emergence control in these beds and should it be appied after the new mulch is installed?Thanks,JOHN

kutnkru
02-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Liquid First Choice:
SURFLAN broad over the top plant material. has a very orange colorant and is not recommended for pavers and stones. A 2.5 gl. costs roughly $200(+/-).

Liquid Second Choice:
RONSTAR is water soulable and comes in 5lb. packages covering approximately 10-12m/sf. Cost is around $36 each.

Granular:
TREFLAN comes in 40 lb bags and covers approximately 10m/sf.
Cost is around $32 bag.

Hope this helps.
Kris

kutnkru
02-15-2001, 11:14 AM
We use Surflan and we apply it to the ornamental beds prior to mulching because of its coloring factor.

Kris

bob
02-15-2001, 03:42 PM
Another product you could us is Snapshot. Lesco carries this. I think a 50lb bag is around $70. Put it down after mulching. It also requires 1/2 of rain within 3weeks.

SLSNursery
02-15-2001, 04:31 PM
We use a lot of Pendulum (Pendimethalin) because it is cost effective, easy to use, and can be applied at variable rates for longer, more effective control. The water soluble bags are good for backpacks, and we use the EC (Emulsifiable concentrate) in our big tanks. For small sites, the water soluble bags are basically 1 per gallon of water for use on 1000 square feet for a couple months of prevention. They come in small boxes or separate pouches. This product is a good combo with Roundup for post and pre-emergent spray jobs. For smaller jobs, match up 1 pack of Roundup dry with 1 pack of pendulum per gallon of water for an easy and convenient mix.

Snapshot is the cadillac of pre-emergent control, and its cost reflects this. We use it on special jobs, or occasionally just to rotate stock.

Treflan - a good old standby. Treflan is similar to the retail product Preen, only it is 5% concentrate compared to something like 1.47%.

In order to compare pricing, you should evaluate each product's label to determine the rate necessary per square foot, for a certain time range of coverage.

grassfreak
02-16-2001, 11:23 AM
we use the cadallac, snapshot works wonders, only had a few problems with nutsedge(not prevented anyway) and a little spurge. I put customers on a yearly fee or 4 payment plan and use roundup pro to spot touch when we come t0o mow. had some figuring involved, but got a formula per 100ft square and per 1000. we charge for two apps in the spring/summer time, and two half cost apps for late summer fall for touch up( which is hardly anything if snapshot is applied correctly.

I just started using treflan since the high cost of snapshot has scared a few customers. i try uusing the snapshot first then fall back on treflan which is cheaper depending which the customer wants me to use knowing there is a qualiity difference. we have a very informative and freindly relationshiip with our customers.

If you have questions, about anythin, email me at rrodgers1@kc.rr.com

OBRYANMAINT
02-16-2001, 01:48 PM
would it be too soon to apply sanpshot now and get all season protection?-----ohio