PDA

View Full Version : I Mow mine, can I Mow yours?

Dogbonz
04-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Just starting out a part time lawn care biz,,, here in Lake Odessa Michigan.
With a new baby here and the wife working at Blue Cross (her bennies are great), cant say that bout my job, So Ill be quiting my job to be stay at home dad, and mow part time. Hope everything goes good. This is a great sight, I have read a bunch of the info, and will take it all to heart.
I have Poulan Pro rider 44""deck, weedwhip, and 21'' push with bagger. an a 4x4 s-10. Now i need a small trailer. Just went to Saginaw on Saturday to buy a Husqvarna 48" WB. I bought it on ebay for $1200. The guy I bought it from has a lc biz in Tawas, he gave me a bunch of good advice, along with some of his horror stories. My goal for this first season is 7 to 10 lawns. I'll be cutting evenings and on week ends.
I did auto body repair for the last 20 years. and have a bunch of tools and a MIG welder. so the maintenance will be a piece of cake. I'm looking forward to a great year. I have a program that lets me make flyers and biz cards etc, so I made up a few flyer's and hung them in the local stores. Then I did some biz cards to give to family to hand out for me as well. If anybody has some ideas for me please feel free to share. :cool:
Well thats my story hope to hear from you guys soon, BE CAREFUL, BE HAPPY AND BE GOOD. Dave from: DAVES LAWN CARE

South Florida Lawns
05-21-2005, 02:48 PM
However most customers want their yard done before the weekend not during it, you might run into a problem there otherwise I wish you the best of luck.

Toy2
05-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Welcome Dave, the weekends might get you in trouble, if you do mow on Saturday or Sunday, your start time should be later, 10 or 11am....late afternoon will be best, before weekend,,,

A+ Lawncare
05-21-2005, 03:03 PM
i agree alot w/sf lawns.....

but now of days on sat. ppl are working unless they have an office job or work for the government.... so sat. shouldn't be outruled totally, but b4 signing contracts w/customers make them aware of ur schedule & circumstances and tell them u may have to mow their lawn on sat., but stay away from sun.

sun. is a day of rest for both u & ur customers and the customers/families will be resting/relaxing and don't want to be bothered. on their only day off, much like how u would feel urself.

rattlerkc
05-25-2005, 09:40 PM
My son and I mow evenings and weekends in Spring and fall while school is still in session. We tell our customers that we will avoid Sundays if at all possible. But once or twice, when the schedule gets all messed up for one reason or another, we find it necessary to extend over to Sunday. I will call on Saturday and give them the choice of us cutting on late Saturday or Sunday afternoon or just wait until Monday. Our customers love the fact that I communicate with them and everything works out fine.

P.S.
When there has been 3 or 4 days of rain and it's dry and ready to mow on Sunday, my customers appreciate that we can go ahead and cut on the weekend.

rattlerkc

WaitnonCharlie
05-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Part time can be a little rough to schedule. However, it can work out. I have about 12 yards, which is more than I've had in the past couple of years. I hired a helper, but think I'm going to give him a couple of yards and go back to working solo. One thing I've found is that working Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays works for part-time, while maintaining the family time. If you do the yards every 10 days or so, this works out. The ones you do on Monday will need to be done the following Thursday, Thursday would be the following Saturday, and Saturday yards would have to be done the following Monday. 2-3/night during the week and knock out 5-6 on Saturday. Really depends on how hard you want to work. Work more, make more (but comes at a cost with new baby.)

bradd
02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
hi im brad im 16 i live in walk michigan i run and own brads lawn care