PDA

View Full Version : How much to price transport of stone

DAZ982500
04-19-2005, 12:25 PM
This is a job I typically do not take on however I have and will need assitance pricing this type of work.The job requires picking up 1.5 tons =1 yard of crushed 1a stone from quarey.I have 3/4 ton truck I am thinking there will be 2 trips of about 3 mile one way trips total distance 12miles. I will uload the rocks with homeowner I believe this is the extent of the work. There is the possibilty of having to use a wheelbarrel to move stone to other location 20 feet from drop off area.My questions are these how much do I charge for the transportation of the stones second, how much do I charge for labor in both cases that I described above.I normally perform lawn cutting/snowplowing.I generally consider overhead and all this but there is alot for gas on this job and pure labor shovel wheelbarrel and soar back.Please advize. Thanks daz.

stxkyboy
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Have it delivered and then double the charge for making a phone call.

aklandscape
04-19-2005, 10:19 PM
The guys that deliver stone around here include delivery into the per ton cost. Example for you is $12.75 per ton delivered. The stone is around $7.50 a ton. I don't think this is a very profitable example for you though.I would say $35.00 bucks delivered and would put all 1.5 tons on. But thats just me, I've put more on than the trucks are rated for in the past and not gotten into to much trouble.

hosejockey2002
04-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Most 3/4 ton pickups can handle 3,000 lbs. without too much trouble. I can haul that much in my light duty '84 Chevy C20. It's about all I want to put in it, but if I keep my speed down it handles it fine.

MarcSmith
04-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Some quarry's can't load less than a yard, so you might be screwed there. Charge a flat hourly rate from the time you pick up the fist load, until you are done unloading and cleaning up the second load.

you would be doubleing the rated capacity of your truck. With one load, is it worth the possible consequences, blown shocks, tires, broken spring, just to save a 6 mile trip????

DAZ982500
04-20-2005, 11:00 AM
This Was One Of My Main Concerns Was Overloading The Truck .as Indicated It Is 3/4 Ton However I Am Buying 1.5 Tons Of Stones I Do Not Want To Overload The Vechicle Just To Save 6 Miles.most Dump Trucks , Small Trucks Charge 50.00 Dollars For This Delivery.2 Trips Would Be 100.00 Plus The Labor To Remove From Bed.i Think He Would Be Better Off Having A Regular Dumptruck Come And Dumpi.e. Save Money. I Guess I Will $$$$$ In.dave

hosejockey2002
04-20-2005, 12:22 PM
you would be doubleing the rated capacity of your truck.

"3/4 ton" is not the actual rated capacity of a truck. It's holdover marketing term from way back when 3/4 ton trucks were only rated to carry 1,500 lbs. My '84 Chevy weighs 4,400 lbs. empty and has a gross vehicle weight rating of 7,200 lbs for a rated capacity of 2,800 lbs. This, of course, includes me an any tools I carry. The heavy duty version of my truck has a payload rating of close to 3,500 lbs. Some of the newest "3/4 ton" trucks have payload ratings of over 4,000 lbs. So your truck may or may not be overloaded, but I am sure you will not be in danger of breaking anything by hauling 3,000 lbs. a short distance.