PDA

View Full Version : Winter, Oh How I Miss Thee

jasonnau
04-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Ah, the smell of flowers, the birds the bees, the twelve hour work days. Hmm, I think I finally can look forward to winter now. I used to hate it. Now that I run my own lco, I think winter is my favorite season.

grassmanvt
04-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Amen to that!!!

Eddie B
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm so burnt out right now... and the calls keep coming in. I still only mow 3 days a week, but all this landscaping, mulch, and cleanups is keeping me more than busy. I also have a large sod install coming up. I've hired a man to work for me as well and he's 54 years old. Kinda strange being 19 and employing someone that old, but I couldn't ask for more out of this guy. A winter vacation looks so good right now.

lqmustang
04-19-2005, 08:45 PM
ahh, spring time how I love thee, let me count the ways

$1k, $2k, $3k, $4k........... payup

I'm sure I'll be ready for winter again when it gets here, but that's a good ways off :D

Lawn Dog2001
04-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Ah, the smell of flowers, the birds the bees, the twelve hour work days. Hmm, I think I finally can look forward to winter now. I used to hate it. Now that I run my own lco, I think winter is my favorite season.

Cmon man!!! This is not the time for that kind of talk. The time to wish for winter is mid May. Your a few weeks early. :D

jasonnau
04-19-2005, 08:54 PM
The phone keeps ringing, every customer flags me down in the yard to add more to my books, I just picked up a Hampton hotel (21 yds mulching, $1,100 pruning, weekly mowing, flowers, landscaping, etc.) They called me on Wednesday, I bid on it and got it. They begged to have the spring clean up done by Friday. Put off my other customers and did the spring clean up on Friday (To make them happy). Now they want the 21 yd mulch job done by the 28th of this month!!!! I'm mowing three days a week too. I have 39 residentials, half of which need mulching, landscaping, etc. I'm trying to hire someone, but, I'm all by myself here. You know what though, I'm smiling myself to the bank every other day.!!!!! payup ....I think I'm going to start counting down the days to Christmas.

jasonnau
04-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Cmon man!!! This is not the time for that kind of talk. The time to wish for winter is mid May. Your a few weeks early. :D
I live a little south of you. Our season started a few weeks earlier!!!!

tinman
04-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Not missin winter at all. :waving:

tjgray
04-20-2005, 08:26 AM
But the days are starting to kinda blur together....wake up at 5:30am try to accomplish the many many things on the list for the day give up around 8pm and put off anything you didn't get done until tommorow....sit in front of the tv with my family while we eat supper. 9pm the children are willingly going to bed we are dragging our butts behind them at 10pm.....5:30am it repeats.....I really look forward to the weekends....not that they aren't filled with work as well because we are even working Sundays but because at least we can sleep in until 8:30am :)

Itsgottobegreen
04-20-2005, 11:57 AM
If I could plow snow all year long. I rather do that than cut grass. Way more money and a lot less work. payup payup payup

But the smell of fresh cut grass is nice.

Todd's lawncare
04-20-2005, 02:03 PM
In the winter all's every one did is cry about it and say i cant wait for spring and summer its here !!! And now its to hot to long of days to this to that get an office job if you cant hack it we work 10 all year long booohooo :cry:

rodfather
04-20-2005, 05:31 PM
If I could plow snow all year long. I rather do that than cut grass. Way more money and a lot less work. payup payup payup

But the smell of fresh cut grass is nice.

Me too...$200 an hour on average is nice $$$.

proenterprises
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Im glad that the weather is warm and spring is here. Ill take this over winter!

jasonnau
04-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Me too...$200 an hour on average is nice $$$.
I need to know what your doing right with snow, I make 65/hr plus 15cents per pound salt. I guess you must be running a couple of guys.

jasonnau
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
In the winter all's every one did is cry about it and say i cant wait for spring and summer its here !!! And now its to hot to long of days to this to that get an office job if you cant hack it we work 10 all year long booohooo :cry:
At first, winter drove me nuts. I remodeled my house, I fixed about everything. Then I ran out of things to do. Got bored as hell. Then one day, I thought, "you know, I don't have to be anywhere, and I have nothing to do". After a few weeks of that, It got to be kind of nice. Then, like a freight train, spring was here. I'm carrying around about 15 extra pounds of winter fat, and working twelve hour days. I love what I do, and I've already lost about 10 lbs of winter fat, but, those days of sitting around are still fresh in my memory!!! But, Now I'm making the cash to sit back next winter. Bring it on. It's always hard the first month or so of spring, till you get used to it all, then it's a breeze.

Todd's lawncare
04-20-2005, 09:15 PM
At first, winter drove me nuts. I remodeled my house, I fixed about everything. Then I ran out of things to do. Got bored as hell. Then one day, I thought, "you know, I don't have to be anywhere, and I have nothing to do". After a few weeks of that, It got to be kind of nice. Then, like a freight train, spring was here. I'm carrying around about 15 extra pounds of winter fat, and working twelve hour days. I love what I do, and I've already lost about 10 lbs of winter fat, but, those days of sitting around are still fresh in my memory!!! But, Now I'm making the cash to sit back next winter. Bring it on. It's always hard the first month or so of spring, till you get used to it all, then it's a breeze.
Boy must be nice to not work in winter i would only make 4 months with spending cash if i didnt work in winter

Itsgottobegreen
04-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I need to know what your doing right with snow, I make 65/hr plus 15cents per pound salt. I guess you must be running a couple of guys.

I make $100 to $175 with a kubota B7500 series tractor. (thats a little tractor with a 5' plow and 4' snowblower) Get a bunch accounts close together and own the company. I also sub it out at $75 an hour for doing sidewalks to another company when I am done with my stuff. Being subs just doesn't pay enough, but not having the hassles that go with being the owner makes it worth it at times.

I got a friend that make over $1000 an hour with nothing more than a F-350w/blizzard 810 and a F-550w/blizzard 8611 working together plowing and spreading salt on parking lots.

rodfather
04-21-2005, 06:41 AM

$200 an hour per truck (last winter we ran 3) and that is with travel time...just have to know how to price your jobs is all.

jasonnau
04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Boy must be nice to not work in winter i would only make 4 months with spending cash if i didnt work in winter
I did snow removal. Some weeks there was a lot to do, but we only got one really heavy snow. Usually it's just a dusting to 2 inches or so. I made some cash. But, towards the end of winter especially, there wasn't much going on.

jasonnau
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
$200 an hour per truck (last winter we ran 3) and that is with travel time...just have to know how to price your jobs is all.
I could be making some serious mistakes with this. Am I way under bidding myself on this? I'm running a chevy 3500 dually with a 9 foot plow. I am using a tailgate spreader though, no v-box. We pay 7.5 cents per pound, and double the price to 15/pound to the customer. Yeah, It averages higher than 65 an hour when you add in the salt profit, but still, it's a far cry from 200.00. I myself only had one comercial account last year, but subbed to one of my friends who owns his own lco. I earned 60/hour, and half of the profit on salt. This year, I'm going to have a few of my own commercial accounts, so I'd like to do this right. Now that I think about it, a guy running a 9 ft. plow should earn more per hour than a guy running a 7.5 foot plow right?

rodfather
04-22-2005, 05:30 PM
I could be making some serious mistakes with this. Am I way under bidding myself on this? I'm running a chevy 3500 dually with a 9 foot plow.

Now that I think about it, a guy running a 9 ft. plow should earn more per hour than a guy running a 7.5 foot plow right?

I would think so...and I think you're too low on price too jason