PDA

View Full Version : Don't give me any STATIC!!!

mower_babe
04-19-2005, 11:24 PM
So, we have been buying AO Safety Peltor Worktunes for awhile now. Loved them. Told you guys how great they were even. This year, I go to purchase them. Same price, $59 on sale. Different design. Different box reads "New and Improved."

NEW AND IMPROVED MY AZZ! These suck. Cannot tune in and when you finally DO get some kind of music, you have to listen to 3 radio stations at the same time. SUCKY SUCKY SUCKY. GIVE ME BACK THE OLD AND UN-IMPROVED puhhhlllleeeeaaaasssseee. I am emailing them as we speak. NOW, what in the hail am I gonna do with 5 brand new PELTOR WORKTUNES that noone will wear?

1MajorTom
04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
sell them on ebay.

TLS
04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I wish the tuning knob on the old ones was STIFFER. They are WAY too easy to bump and then your LOST and it takes you a long time to find your station back. You don't know if you bumped it a little or a lot.

Shame the new ones are this bad.

I'll pay $200 if they had station presets, FM and AM, and built well. Also wish someone would incorporate the antenna in the headband.

Jason Rose
04-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I bought a pair at walmart last spring... they must have been selling that same model last spring. I tried them but spent more time messing with the dial trying to fine tune them and then when I would get a station it would be country. crap, no thanks.

I really don't like headphones, maybe it's just me but the pressure of them on my ears gives me a royal headache in about half an hour plus they are HOT in the summer. Commercials on the radio stink too, i am a channel hopper to find MUSIC and not commercials.

I decided to try and preserve my hearing this year, started using earplugs just about all day. takes getting used to for a while but now I really don't notice them and the plus side is that I can actually HEAR after being on the mower for a couple hours straight!

pjslawncare/landscap
04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Now MB, dont u know to stay away from the "New and improved" crap :D
I take that as a warning

mower_babe
04-19-2005, 11:48 PM
sell them on ebay.

You know, I used to be an eBay nut, but I have this nasty little, itty bitty thing called a conscience and I could not do that to someone else. I will return them to F&F and tell them exactly what the deal is.

I emailed Peltor/AO Safety.Hey if any of you guys need the info, here goes...

Aero Company - 317-692-6666 or customer_service@aero.com

While on the website I found out that just last month they came out with worktunes with walkie talkies in them. Called WorkTunes 22 Forestry Kit. But, if they are new style, which I am positive they are, not interested.

I think you are right PJs.

TLS - I agree, but at least you weren't listening to gospel, country and rock all at one time like I have to now.

tinman
04-19-2005, 11:48 PM
anything with a "DIAL" sux..... I'd rather just buy those earmuffs that have a wire running out to connect to your walkman, IPOD, MP3 player, etc.... I just use regular earphones connected to mp3 player & cover with Stihl earmuffs.

LwnmwrMan22
04-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I too would pay $150 - $200 for a set with digital tuning...

When it's colder, I'll use the Peltors. When it gets warmer out, I switch to the little foam earplugs that you insert into your ear canal, then use a walkman type radio.

Itsgottobegreen
04-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Screw the Am/Fm digital. I want Sirius satellite headphones. No commercials ever, worth the $15 a month.

lawncare3
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
It'sgottabegreeen- Where can I find these?

Itsgottobegreen
04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
sorry double post. Some one please delete.

Itsgottobegreen
04-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Sirius doesn't make any. Thats why I want someone who will.

ProMo
04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
my peltors are on there last leg, I have an old digital headset with no noise protection that im going to try to imbed into the peltors

fga
04-20-2005, 08:18 AM
this is my first season using peltors. i have no trouble at all, unless i'm in certain areas with bad reception (for "am" atleast). FM is always crystal clear, but i listen to sports all day, and sometimes i have to just "touch" the dial to retune slightly. no big deal..
free your consiuos! put them on ebay cheap, and let me know when you do. :D c'mon, get rid of the junk... $15 a piece :angel:

byw, which model is it? the yellow ones? i have the peltors worktunes that are black and grey. i don't know if there is a mechanical difference.

TClawn
04-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I've found my self listening to my peltors instead of the radio. I never miss a minute of rush now. lol. I get crystal clear reception on AM, but sometimes FM does not come in very well. I wish that the dial was stiffer too.

funny thing though, my peltors got better reception after I dopped them. ;)

Up North
04-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey Mower Babe, just take them back to where you bought them (which I think you said you're going to do). Do you have an ACE Hardware nearby? They still have the older version, black & yellow, I just saw them today. If you can't find any let me know and I can go pick those up and ship them over to you.

FGA, you got your Peltors for xmas right? I would assume they are the 2004 model. I sure like mine, I use them all the time even around home, when I'm cutting or stacking wood, working in the garden, or when I'm in trouble with my wife... :D

Has anyone ever tried zip tying the antennae to the headband? I think I'm going to strap mine down, I'm tired of having them yanked off my head when I go under branches while on the Z. I always forget to duck far enough to clear my antennae... :angry:

Buck

crawdad
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I've found my self listening to my peltors instead of the radio. I never miss a minute of rush now. lol. I get crystal clear reception on AM, but sometimes FM does not come in very well. I wish that the dial was stiffer too.

funny thing though, my peltors got better reception after I dopped them. ;)

Ya, because, after you drop them, they only want to get AM! I have an older pair that only get AM, and I ain't into Rush's BS, and a newer pair that I have to mess with to get FM to come in.
Hey, Rush fans, buy my old pair! THey get AM fine. Useless to me.
Crawdad

Woody82986
04-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I bought mine a year ago. They work ok. Sometimes I have to fine tune a station in. The only thing that bugs me is that in my area there is a spanish or tejano station in between darn near every big radio station and sometimes when I am mowing larger lawns and turn alot, I end up picking up those tejano stations and it drives me nuts. It has happened often enough that I have heard the same tejano songs several times and can sing along now!

TClawn
04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Ya, because, after you drop them, they only want to get AM! I have an older pair that only get AM, and I ain't into Rush's BS, and a newer pair that I have to mess with to get FM to come in.
Hey, Rush fans, buy my old pair! THey get AM fine. Useless to me.
Crawdad

it get's FM from 91.7 and up crystal clear too. under 91.7, the reception is not too good.

BladeRunner1967
04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I got fed up and bought a IPOD Shuffle, put the earbuds in and put the Peltors over top. Works well. Get's about 12 hours of music on one of those. I here ya Buck!!! I'm gonna tie mine down too. :dizzy:

fga
04-20-2005, 09:23 PM
FGA, you got your Peltors for xmas right? I would assume they are the 2004 model. I sure like mine, I use them all the time even around home, when I'm cutting or stacking wood, working in the garden, or when I'm in trouble with my wife... :D

Buckoh man, the feud we had yesterday... i wish i thought of getting them out of the truck. i think she divorced me 2 times yesterday :D

TLS
04-20-2005, 09:39 PM
I'd be snagging those earbud cords left and right. Started using a Walkman back in the '80's and was constantly being snagged.

morturf
04-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I have the ultimate setup. I have a set of peltors and xm myfi. I tune the peltors to 88.1 and the myfi rebroadcasts the xm tunes and stuff right to the headset!! I love it. all cordless if you get the myfi unit high enough. Sometimes i have to put on the external antenna for the xm but i love not commercials!!

mike

Soupy
04-21-2005, 01:54 AM
I use a walkman with the ear bud phones. they are kinda like ear plugs as you roll them between your fingers and insert into your ears and they open up. I bought the $7 ear protector muffs from J.Thomas and put those over them. I tuck the cord in my shirt and put the walkman in my front pocket. This keeps the cord out of the way. I use rechargeable batteries that give me about 20 hours of play.

I guess if you are buying them for the crew then it would be easier to by the all in ones, but it would be cheaper to give them the $7 ones and let them supply their own radio if they want one.

mower_babe
04-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey Mower Babe, just take them back to where you bought them (which I think you said you're going to do). Do you have an ACE Hardware nearby? They still have the older version, black & yellow, I just saw them today. If you can't find any let me know and I can go pick those up and ship them over to you.

Buck

Yep, black and yellow. emailed company - no response. I am interested in the walkie talkie worktunes. Those would come in super handy. I think I will call the company later today and see what I can come up with.

genoaustin
04-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Landscaper Radio
High-quality FM radio with 82dB(A) output limit for hearing protection.
Automatic station locator and memory that stores the most recently used stations and volume level.
Automatic shut off after 4 hours and low battery consumption.
$ 109.95

https://www.snowssawshop.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=landscaperradio

TLS
04-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Nice looking, but lacking AM for my weather/news that I tune to occaisionally.

LwnmwrMan22
04-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Yep, gotta have AM. Good weather forcaster when the dark clouds are creeping up behind your back. :D

TLS
04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Makes you wonder why in large markets, there are no 100% news/weather radio stations on FM???

out4now
04-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Makes you wonder why in large markets, there are no 100% news/weather radio stations on FM???

I think we have one here, but never listen to it. Best one is on AM. Good poin, wonder why there aren't any on FM? ;)

DLCS
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM

I think for one reason is am radio broadcasts further. I have always got better reception on am during electrical storms, don't know why though.
Years ago lots of radios were am only so thats probably what started it and no ones thought to change it.

DLCS
04-22-2005, 11:52 AM
So, we have been buying AO Safety Peltor Worktunes for awhile now. Loved them. Told you guys how great they were even. This year, I go to purchase them. Same price, $59 on sale. Different design. Different box reads "New and Improved."

NEW AND IMPROVED MY AZZ! These suck. Cannot tune in and when you finally DO get some kind of music, you have to listen to 3 radio stations at the same time. SUCKY SUCKY SUCKY. GIVE ME BACK THE OLD AND UN-IMPROVED puhhhlllleeeeaaaasssseee. I am emailing them as we speak. NOW, what in the hail am I gonna do with 5 brand new PELTOR WORKTUNES that noone will wear?

Just a thought were the batteries new? I have to change my batteries about every week. When they go weak, reception sucks. I get the "three radio stations at a time thing". I only paid $25 for my Peltors, Wal Mart, so they aren't they expensive ones but they do work great as long as the batteries are changed often. :dizzy:

yard sloth
04-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I think my Walmart has two different packagings of the black/yellow peltor worktunes. how can I tell which ones are the better ones (the old unimproved ones)?

N.H.BOY
04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
I quess I'll chime in here. This is what I do- I have a Palm pilot and I down load my fav. music and it can hold 150-200 tunes. I put the palm next to me on my z in a little foam-type bag and i run the cord up under my shirt and and put ear plug head phones in and then my Peltors on and I.m good to go. Yes no weather, but I change up my tunes once a month. I also use my Palm for info on my accounts that Im mowing and e-mails and such. Love the thing. Im still learning it :dizzy: