PDA

View Full Version : What kind of grass will grow in sandy soil in full shade?

QualityLawnCare4u
04-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I have a client that lives on the river and her yard is one of the few I HATE to do! Not one blade of grass, just sand and oak leaves. She asked me today if their was any seeds I cut put out that would do good in her yard. Said that when she first moved there that they had the whole yard sodded and it died or washed away. The yard is also on a steep incline. I really dont think there is anything much that can be done with this yard without spending some big bucks, and I know she is not going to want to do that. Just curious if there was anything I could put down that might work. Told her I wanted to talk to some "experts" first and see what I could find out. The othe LCO who sodded her yard is the best around and the biggest. I would think he knew what he was doing.

DennisF
04-20-2005, 08:19 PM
You could try Bermuda or Bahia. But, both grasses are a pain in the azz to cut and make it look good. I would try the Bermuda and avoid the Bahia. I hate that grass.

williamslawn
04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Bermuda or Bahia will not grow in shade. You can try St. Augustine, but it will not last long in full shade. You can remove some trees and it will do better.

Gautreaux's LNG
04-20-2005, 09:30 PM
AstroTurf...........

ed2hess
04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Combination of fescue and rye grass...guess she doesn't have any water system? Without regular watering...not much you can do.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I suggested removing some trees also, she did not really want to do that. Im affraid she is just going to accept the fact her yard is as good as its going to be, nothing but sand and leaves. In fact, there is not one single yard I have seen in this area with any grass in the yard. She is basically living on a sandbar with lots of oaks.

MMLawn
04-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Combination of fescue and rye grass...guess she doesn't have any water system? Without regular watering...not much you can do.

NOT. I ahve been dealing with fescue and rye for 20+ years. These will not do well in full shade either esp in the HOT GA weather as they are also a cool season (fescue) grass and a cold season (rye) grass. Lesco does make a "shade blend" of seed that you could try.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Shade sucks period. I would say a fescue or rye grass mix also. Just think golf course. I would suggest cutting down some trees or opening them up some to get sunlight in to help it out some. I am always amazed when I go see a property and it is cluttered with trees in close proximity to each other. I always wonder what in the hell people were thinking back when they planted those trees. My grandfather did it back in the early 60s when he built his house in a new subdivision in town that my folks bought in the late 80s when he died and it was to big for grandma. He planted a couple of crimson maples exactly 15 feet apart. He also planted 3 locust trees damn near next to the foundation. One was 20 feet away, one was 13 and was 18 feet away. Hello gramps, trees grow, expand and get bigger. Thanks for the mess you caused with them growing right over the house. Had them cut down on Saturday of Labor Day weekend last fall. Greatest investment my father ever made. Now the house faces directly west into the beating sun and our front yard is now bare with tree cover. Not to mention 35% or so of the grass we had to reseed the entire front yard with did not come back this spring. But at least those locust trees were cut down. God they are a mess to deal with. We had the ones with pods thank god, dont think I could stand the ones with the foot long pricker clusters in them. Those pods suck too dont get me wrong. They would never come down with the leaves in October, they would come down about mid-December, 3 weeks after city leaf pickup. Anyway, that was my rant for the day! LOL

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Its not really the shade you have to worry about, its the sand. But fescue and rye in Georgia you are right though, probably not a good idea with the weather down yonder. Good point.

DennisF
04-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I suggested removing some trees also, she did not really want to do that. Im affraid she is just going to accept the fact her yard is as good as its going to be, nothing but sand and leaves. In fact, there is not one single yard I have seen in this area with any grass in the yard. She is basically living on a sandbar with lots of oaks.

She might want to consider building a retaining wall, then filling the area with mulch and shade tolerant shrubs and ground cover. I have a number of customers that have a greenbelt area behind their homes with a lot of shade and they eliminated the grass by planting different species of shrubs and trees that like shady areas. It gives the property a park like feel and still makes good use of the yard.

Precision
04-20-2005, 11:09 PM
offer to install beds with colorful plants and go with a non grass-gound cover for the fill in stuff.

My brain is kinda shot, so I can't think of any of the ground cover ones now,but there are plenty of plants that would work.

Maybe even suggest planting an herb garden in a pattern

Society garlic might work

Wedelia will take over like the plague, but die down to the ground every winter. That is what it does here if it freezes. But our freezes don't last so that may not work. But worth looking into. drought resistant and will grow in full shade.

Thought of dwarf mondo grass? drought resistant and will grow in full shade.

br1dge
04-20-2005, 11:18 PM
creeping red fescue is ur best bet

Jozgators
04-21-2005, 11:46 PM
How about Seville it is St Augustine but requires full shade. If not in full shade it can dry out to quickly.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will check into some of these types of grass suggested.

NickN
04-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't forget centipede!Does well in sandy soil and has a good shade tolerance.
Mix the seed with sand spread it.Then lightly roll into the existing soil.
Doesn't require alot of mowing and doesn't respond well to high N apps.