PDA

View Full Version : Grass has brown tips?

jpp
04-20-2005, 09:49 PM
I did a search on found some good information. From what I am reading the tips of the grass that turn brown is because the blades are not sharp enough. Is this true?This is the first year I have noticed it. I have been using a hand held angle grinder since 1998. If it is the grinder, then can you guys recommend a good bench grinder for me.

Thanks,

JP

DLCS
04-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Your angle grinder is fine for sharpening blades, just use a flap style sanding disc.

jpp
04-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Your angle grinder is fine for sharpening blades, just use a flap style sanding disc.

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure I know what a flap style sanding disc is. If I go into the hardware and ask for this they should know right?

Thanks,

JP

DLCS
04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure I know what a flap style sanding disc is. If I go into the hardware and ask for this they should know right?

Thanks,

JP

You can see them on this site. Go to link and put in page 2457 of their catalog. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Most hardware store will know what a flap disc is for a angle grinder.

jpp
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
You can see them on this site. Go to link and put in page 2457 of their catalog. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Most hardware store will know what a flap disc is for a angle grinder.

Mike,

Thanks for the link and the picture. I will give this a shot.

Thanks,

JP

MMLawn
04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I did a search on found some good information. From what I am reading the tips of the grass that turn brown is because the blades are not sharp enough. Is this true?
JP

Of course it is true. Heck, that's Lawn Care 101.....your profile says you have 15 years of experience so you should know that.

jpp
04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Of course it is true. Heck, that's Lawn Care 101.....your profile says you have 15 years of experience so you should know that.

Sorry MMLawn this is the first time I have ever had brown tips that I have been aware of. I change my blades every two days of mowing, so roughly 50 to 60 yards. That is why I was asking about the angle grinder. I was wondering if it was that or, I might be doing something different when sharpening. But I check the blades after sharpening and they seem pretty darn sharp.

JP

Bayrat
04-20-2005, 11:10 PM
I would check them after a few yards, if the edge is not holding one of two things could be wrong. The angle could be too lean or you are using a grinding wheel that is taking the temper out of the blade due to excess heat.

The flexible disc will allow you to "polish" it to a fine edge, much like a hand file. Only other method I am aware of is to purchase an expensive blade grinder.

Meg-Mo
04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
With the MEG MO blades it is very rare you will see brown or torn tips.

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Sorry MMLawn this is the first time I have ever had brown tips that I have been aware of. I change my blades every two days of mowing, so roughly 50 to 60 yards. That is why I was asking about the angle grinder. I was wondering if it was that or, I might be doing something different when sharpening. But I check the blades after sharpening and they seem pretty darn sharp.

JP

Yeah JP if you have kept them sharp like that then that is why you have never had an issue and so yes it sounds like you may have something going on with the last time you sharpen them as the edge was not there so it "ripped and tore" the grass instead of cutting it. If I understand you correctly you are getting 50-60 yards of cuts before changing the blades so that too is probably pushing it too far. I don't believe I would try and get more than 30 at the most and I personally wouldn't even do that many without changing.

dishboy
04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
If every lawn displays same tip problem , change your blades out more often. Dull blades usually leave white tips though. Brown tips are can follow a fertilizer application and usually goes away with cutting.

marko
04-21-2005, 11:44 AM
If every lawn displays same tip problem , change your blades out more often. Dull blades usually leave white tips though. Brown tips are can follow a fertilizer application and usually goes away with cutting.

Good call. The point Im trying to make is maybe its a dull mower blade, maybe its not.

jpp
04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey Meg Mo,

Do you have a link? I do not see any sponsors links on my page of lawnsite.

Thanks,

JP

jpp
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah JP if you have kept them sharp like that then that is why you have never had an issue and so yes it sounds like you may have something going on with the last time you sharpen them as the edge was not there so it "ripped and tore" the grass instead of cutting it. If I understand you correctly you are getting 50-60 yards of cuts before changing the blades so that too is probably pushing it too far. I don't believe I would try and get more than 30 at the most and I personally wouldn't even do that many without changing.

MMLawn,

I change my blade every two days. I went back and double checked the number of lawns. It is more like between 40 and 50 lawns that I do before changing. I thought about going to every day of changing blades. It only take a few minutes each day.

JP

jpp
04-21-2005, 09:03 PM

Funny you posted this. Talked to the customer today and she said it was fertilzed the morning I cut it. I was there late in the afternoon. The took the sign down.

marko
04-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Well there you have it! Good call Dishboy, was not the blades at all. I would try to get two sets of blades and rotate every day if you are cutting 20 or so a day. Take care

jpp
04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Well there you have it! Good call Dishboy, was not the blades at all. I would try to get two sets of blades and rotate every day if you are cutting 20 or so a day. Take care

That's just it. I have plenty of blades. Three sets for each mower. I might go out and invest in another set so I have four. I guess it just freaked me out that this was really the first time I have seen this. Thanks for the input.

JP

ALarsh
04-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey Meg Mo,

Do you have a link? I do not see any sponsors links on my page of lawnsite.

Thanks,

JP

www.meg-mo.com

DLCS
04-22-2005, 10:06 PM
With the MEG MO blades it is very rare you will see brown or torn tips.

I beg to differ........

Heller Landscaping
04-23-2005, 10:15 PM
I Had this same thing happen on some of my lawns last year in the spring
talked to the guys at Lesco and found out that it was the grass bur-oil or something like that it was fine later on in the year. hope this will help.