PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Stripes!!

dwost
04-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Third mow of the season and the grass is looking good!! :D Here are a couple shots after this evening's cut.

dwost
04-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Shot #2..........

dwost
04-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Here's the last one

kwelch
04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
WOW! Excellent job. Looks great! :blob3:

cooksjr537
04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
dwost, great looking stripes. Do you have a striping kit on your mower?

dwost
04-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys,

Cooks.....yes I built a custom roller and I'm also using a proslide. That combination is hard to beat.

TClawn
04-21-2005, 01:57 AM
dwost, how much did you pay for your proslide?

christoff
04-21-2005, 04:16 AM
pics of your mower please

kwelch
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
dwost, how much did you pay for your proslide?

I know you didn't ask me but I paid $125. I found a guy on ebay that had bought a ton of them and was trying to get rid of them quickly. If your going to buy one, get one of the new models. They are called Proslide XT. They fixed all the little problems with the original Proslide.

dwost
04-21-2005, 10:53 AM
TC, I did the same thing as Kwelch. Found a guy on e-bay, paid 125 + shipping..........I think the total was around $140 which is a screaming deal for the slide. Granted this was the original design as Kwelch pointed out. The XT is the newer version and looks like there are some nice enhancements. The slide replaced a set of Jungle Wheels that worked OK but I like the slide SOOOOOOOO much better. Much smoother ride, better stripes and no jackknifing. Highly recommend one!! :)

Cristoff, I'll snap some shots later today and post them for you.

TClawn
04-21-2005, 04:22 PM
arggg. I can't find a proslide for less than $200 w/out shipping. the proslide XT is like $369.00 that's a bit steep if you ask me.

dowst, could you take some pics showing how it's mounted? I want to retro fit one for the quick 36 and I think I'm going to have to use some angle iron to strengthen the back end (there's a slot cut out in the back for the hydro release, and I don't want to bend it)

dwost
04-21-2005, 04:38 PM
TC, that's a bummer. I know that guy on e-bay bought out the remaining stock of original units. They were selling for about 6 mo's at that price. Keep looking, you may be able to find one at a deal. As for the new one, yeah, that is expensive and the reason why I went with a used set of jungle wheels at first. I will say, however, I'd pay full price for this thing after using it. It really is a great addition to the mower and for a commercial cutter something that would be quite handy. The self retraction feature is killer. I'll snap some shots for you tonight of the setup.

Don

TClawn
04-21-2005, 07:19 PM
it's just a bit scary to fork out that kind of money for something that may or may not work on my mower. I'm pretty sure I can make it work, but you never know. the thing I really need to see in the pics is how far up on the frame the mounting bracket goes.

dwost
04-21-2005, 09:45 PM
TC, here are some shots of my setup. I've attached a couple different pics for you to see how it's attached. I also attached a couple of the mower itself and the roller for Christoff. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

dwost
04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Here is a shot of the roller and my OCDC

snap12.5
04-21-2005, 11:58 PM
nice mower.
where does ur striper attach to? it is kind of hard to tell from the pic. how did u weigh down the roller or does it just drag???

dwost
04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Snap, the roller is attached to the rear antiscalp brackets. I've attached A pic to clarify.

The roller sits about 1/2" off the ground which keeps it in contact with the grass at all times. That combined with the proslide is a great combination.

cleancutccl
04-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Is that an ezchute?

TClawn
04-22-2005, 03:42 AM
no, he made it himself.

thanks for the pics dwost, just one question, can the bolts be mounted in two different locations? it looks like you've got it on the high bolt holes but, it looks like there's a place down lower where you can put it.

dwost
04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Clean, TC is correct that is a $25 DIY Home Depot special :)

TC, Yes, you can mount it with the higher set of holes, however it will put you a bit closer to the handles. Not a big deal you should be able to do it.

dwost
04-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Clean, TC is correct that is a $25 DIY Home Depot special :)

TC, Yes, you can mount it with the higher set of holes, however it will put you a bit closer to the handles. Not a big deal you should be able to do it.

Just to clarify, I meant there are two sets of holes on the bracket. You can mount it with either set of holes. If you use the LOWER set of holes on the bracket, it will raise the arm a bit and put you closer to the mower. Hope that helps!!

Don

TClawn
04-22-2005, 02:43 PM
that helps alot, I'm pretty sure I can make it fit now. if worse comes to worse, I can use angle iron to raise or lower the arm.

about how many inches up from the bottom of thre frame is it?

dwost
04-22-2005, 03:07 PM
about how many inches up from the bottom of thre frame is it?

Not sure I follow. Are you asking how many inches up from the bottom of the MOWER frame does the bracket for the proslide mount? If that is the question it's only about an inch or so. You can see there is some overhang below the mower frame where the proslide bracket sits.

Don

TClawn
04-22-2005, 04:31 PM
I have a 1 3/4" area where I can connect it. I need to know, if it can be connected withing1 3/4" it can hang below the frame, but no higher than 1" up the frame.

dwost
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
You should be totally fine.

TClawn
04-22-2005, 06:31 PM
thanks alot. you've really helped me.

dwost
04-22-2005, 08:24 PM
No problem, glad I could help!! Post some pics of your setup if you decide on the slide :) By the way, here is one on e-bay that you may want to bid on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4374288812&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

A+ Lawncare
04-22-2005, 08:32 PM
dwost don't show pics of that clean nice garage again i'm already jealous of your setup, may have to do some burgularies(j/k).....haha

dwost
04-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Oh great, now I've got a stalker!!! LOL It's actually a freakin mess right now. I'm about to head out and try to get it organized while the weather is so s@#$$y out!! I had to put the heater back on to keep it comfortable while I'm puttering around out there!! Gotta love spring in northern Ohio.

TClawn
04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
No problem, glad I could help!! Post some pics of your setup if you decide on the slide :) By the way, here is one on e-bay that you may want to bid on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4374288812&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

SHHHHHHHH! don't tell anybody that, I'm the current high bidder. :)

dwost
04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
open mouth..........................insert foot......................my bad.............. :D :D

snap12.5
04-22-2005, 10:19 PM
dwost- good pics by the way!
on the third pic of the first page, your stripes on that hill are a little shaky. i have this problem too with keeping the lines prefectly straight. i know that it can be done and sometimes i need to keep straightening out the mower in order to keep it on course in a straight line but the lines can still get uneven. do u have any ideas on how to maintain straight lines everytime???

kc2006
04-23-2005, 12:36 AM
I was the first bidder on that! (mean83sc) I just can't see paying 200 (what thats going to go for) for a used proslide when they normally sell for 125, if i spend over 200 for a used one i'll go get the new improved one for 150 more. Nice stripes by the way, get ready for the snow tomorrow :D

dwost
04-23-2005, 09:21 AM
dwost- good pics by the way!
on the third pic of the first page, your stripes on that hill are a little shaky. i have this problem too with keeping the lines prefectly straight. i know that it can be done and sometimes i need to keep straightening out the mower in order to keep it on course in a straight line but the lines can still get uneven. do u have any ideas on how to maintain straight lines everytime???

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's weird because it doesn't look that shaky in person!! The pic does make it look that way. Couple things that come into play. First, it's hard to see but I cut vertical the week before so from that angle some of the stripes look "pulled" if you will making them look a little weird. If I moved over a bit you would see the checkerboard pattern. The second Item is the fact that I'm using a belt drive and on hillier areas you have to finess the controls as it can wander. When I had the jungle wheels it was horrible as they would shake around on bumpy ground and it would make the wheel marks look all jagged. The slide is much better.

As for the snow, I still have my snowblower ready to go :) Man I thought I could put it to bed for the summer, guess not!! they are calling for 8-12" here.

bretben55
08-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Dwost,

Can you re-post the instructions and photos of your lawn roller? I can't seem to access them.

Also, what kind of fertilizer and how often are you putting it down?

Your yard looks great!

dwost
08-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Bretben55, here is the link to the write up http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=35589&highlight=roller The pics are off the forum, but I'd be happy to send them to you via e-mail. PM me with your addy and I'll send them over for you :) As for the fert, I only use Lesco. I'm one of those obsessed homeowners (that used to be in the business in college) that strives to have the best turf. My fert program is a bit more than most will do. I typically will do about 6 apps throughout the spring - late fall. I don't do the insect control as I really don't have any issues with pest's and I really don't want my kids playing around on the insecticide as well. I also do not do a "weed/feed" app as that is useless in granular form. I only have a few weeds so I can walk around and spot spray a couple times per year. My grass is KB and is cut at 3" early in the season and 4" throughout most of the year. Hope that helps!!!

Don

bretben55
08-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the pics. I have tried to make several different rollers out of PVC for use on my Toro Wheelhorse lawn tractor. Each one of them has eventually ended up breaking.

I looked into your idea using the conveyor roller about a year ago and could never find a source for them.

I have now purchased a used Lesco 48" walk behind for $482. I just got the high lift blades and the gators, to run doubles, today. Tomorrow I mow. :)

I was wondering how hard it would be to build a Proslide type sulky?

Your yard is one of the best striped yards I've seen.

As far as your fert. program, do you use the same type of fert. for all 6 applications? Did you work out a program through your Lesco dealer?

bretben55
08-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Here are my new stripes after installing doubles; high lifts under gator blades.

I know i need to work on the grass quality, but that will come. I dropped off a soil sample to Lesco this morning.

dwost
08-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey Brett, Looks like you got a great deal on the mower!! Those stripes look killer for only running doubles!! You might as well throw out the PVC idea especially on a HEAVY commercial deck it won't last a week. As for the roller, I'm sure you read my post and have been on Mcmaster Carr's website as they will have everythign you need. You could build a proslide, however, I'd just drop the $$ and get one. There were a couple different knock off's on ebay over the years but none of them looked to be of the quality of a true Proslide. I got mine from a guy on e-bay that bought out much of the remaining inventory before they started selling the revised model (I think its the XT now) Anyway, picked it up for about 140 shipped.

As for my fert, program I mainly follow what Lesco recommends for my zone which is the same as yours. I start in early march with Dimension , follow that with standard fert (24-5-11) in May. I usually do a third application of either 24-5-11 or 18-24-12 in June or early July depending on how wet the spring is. I do one more 24-5-11 in september and then in late november do my last application. I'm going to put down Pre-M this year in hopes to control some of the early season weeds in the back section of my lawn and also to try and control the spread of the Poa Annua that has crept into my KB. I've heard this sometimes works but we'll see. I'ts not a real big issue but if I can eliminate having to Roundup the spots that would save me some work. Anyway, that is my program. I know many on here will say it's overkill, and it probably is but my yard stands out above anyone elses in the entire area so it's workign for me. Oh, I also have an irrigation system so I wouldn't recommend this if you can't heep it hydrated. As for my watering program I have 9 zones and each one runs for 2 hours. I do this every 5 days unless there is rain then the sensor shuts down the system. That gives me a good 1" per week on the entire yard. The only downfall is that my sprinkler's run for 18 hours and the waterbill can get a bit steep but it's worth it when I walk out onto the carpet :) By the way, on the pics above the shots of the hill coming down to the retention pond is mainly weeds that I started applying Lesco to this year. The grass has filled in and as you can see greened it up quite nicely. I only did the first two apps on that section since it is not irrigated. If you look at it now it's mainly brown from the lack of rain we've had here. That was taken early this season when it all looked great. Let us know what you find out!!

Don

bretben55
08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Here is a pic of my "proslide" I made for the Lesco. It's made from a snow sled carpet, which has a slick bottom to it. I bolted it to some angle iron and used 2 chains to connect it to the mower. It worked great.

bretben55
08-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Here is the backyard from another angle.

bretben55
08-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Dwost,

Thanks for the fertilizer specifics.

I have a sprinkler system, but I think I may not be watering it correctly. I only have 5 zones, and run them twice a day for 12 minutes each.

I have heavy clay for soil, and am told I need to core aerate at least twice a year.

As far as the roller, I haven't came up with a good place to attach it yet as I don't have anti-scalp wheel mounts on my deck. Also, I haven't determined what length I want. With yours, why didn't you get one that was the total width of your cut?

Bret

dwost
08-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Hey Bret,

You are correct, with clay soil (thats what I have as well :( ) you should aerate twice per year. Also adding gypsum in spring and fall will assist in breaking down the clay further. As for your watering, you should change your process. Watering daily in very short increments does nothing except make your turf susceptible to burn out. It won't be able to handle more than a day of heat before getting brown. The idea of "deep" watering is to establish a good deep root base and make the grass tougher and more resilient to heat and stress. It's funny because several of my neighbors have systems as well and they all do the daily short and fast method. We had three solid weeks of 95 degree sunny weather, no rain and every one of their lawns turned as brown as the ones that didn't' have sprinkler systems. Mine was the only one that was as green as it was in early spring. Every morning I'd drive out and their sprinklers would be on watering brown grass, I found that to be quite amusing. :)

There is really no need to run the roller the length of the deck as the wheels will lay down the grass on the outside of the roller. The majority of the visible stripe is in the center and that is what you should be concerned with. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Don

snowshreadr4ever
03-31-2007, 12:33 AM
hey dwost, nice looking stripes man. I have a good idea of what i am gonna do to build the brackets for a homemade kit, but i do not know what to use for the pipe. What did you use to make it roll? can you tell me how you set it up? thanks man

dwost
03-31-2007, 01:38 AM
It's not a pipe, it's actually a conveyer roller. you can source them from several mfg. I got mine at McMaster-Carr. Here is the post with the build info. I believe some of the part numbers have changed but you should be able to figure out what you need to build one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=35589&highlight=striping+kit