PDA

View Full Version : "Any Activists Out There?"

nocutting
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Guys & ladies, I work with a local enviromental group, yesterday they did a news conferance [ as Earthday is approaching], related to pollution, ground water and the benifit of "Organic Landscapers", as an active menber I offered to be present, answered questions by the local newspapers, and lucked out as than had cable news 55 follow me to some of my accounts. As luck would have it the neighbors lawns had big yellow posted signs. They filmed for over 2hrs to make a 3minute clip, & I made the 11pm news broadcast in our area.....What I'm tryin to tell you all is that it pays to work with as many non-profit groups as possible- as the phone will will always be ringing. I havent spent more than $150.00 a year on advertiseing in about the last 6yrs. I relie on these groups to keep food on my table & a smile on my face!!!!! Hoorah for the "Green Movement" :cool2: payup payup payup

Grandview
04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
But the lawns with the flags were nice and green and weed free.

Green Quality
04-21-2005, 08:28 AM
An organism which lives,grows,feeds and takes shelter in or on another organism;a person depending entirely another without providing something in return. (A mouth full of corn meal should solve this problem,when speaking! :dizzy:

betterlawn
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
How is he a parasite? It sounds like good marketing to me. If your going to offer a niche product like organic lawn care you've got be a little creative in how you market it. Hooking up with an environmental group makes perfect sense.

People pay more for organic apples...

Jealous much?...

Green Quality
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
This is in his words a $$ non-profit group$$ that he is working with,while he himself is making a profit from the group. and so full of him self to go on line and brag about it.makes me a little sick! Go fish!

betterlawn
04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
I still don't get it. He's not taking money from a non-profit group. The group would no doubt encourage people to use organic lawn care. By providing organic lawn care he is forwarding the aims of the group and potentially educating more people. Its win-win. Its just good marketing/positioning/whatever. You can't make an objective case against it.

The Muscular Dystrophy Association raises awareness about MD and raises money to fight it. Hospitals treat people with it, and they CHARGE MONEY.

I've been looking into organic lawn care and can't understand the vitriol it inspires in some LCO's. The purpose of these forums is to share knowledge gained, so if some other organic LCO can hook up with their local green group and pass out flyers at a meeting, than good for them.

nocutting
04-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Listen, some of you must of gotten up on the wrong side of bed when you read my post?....I thought I was on the "Organic Forum", just trying to give info for some of you newer organic guys on how to increase your bizness....no one seems to mind "Paul Sachs for selling an orgaic fertilizer" on the high end that makes it almost impossible for anybody to compete.....I try to co-op buy with guys in my neck of the woods all the time ,[ so we can compete with the larger chemical LCO's]....Personally I dont think competion is bad, its only makes my job easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Information & education in your field makes you a "Cut above" your competion....just tryin to share alittle, not lookin to start anything......Again I try to look for the good in all these posts and maybe it wouldnt hurt if we all tried to do the same......And make a little cash for all our "Hard Work"......Not all of us are in this bizness just to make money [ though thats surely helps when payin the bills]....I can name countless groups from the boy& girl scouts, womens groups, botanical gardens where I speak [ & decline the payments] as I feel I'm provideing a service to the community......or where my company donates plant materials for public gardens.....I'm a "Mom & Pop operation" and Dam Proud of it....Cheers to all of You who support the Greens Industry. :)

Grandview
04-22-2005, 07:15 AM
The nonprofit idea is bogus. All the people who work for these organizations get a salary, sometimes six figures. Many get government funds which they return to legislators in campaign contributions. All at the tax payers expense.

betterlawn
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Churches are non-profit, does that mean that ministers shouldn't get a salary? A lot of hospitals are non-profit. Are the doctors not being paid?

That's why have trustees (just like a board of directors). Its up to the person donating to check out the organization, just like an investor checking out a company.

What exactly is bogus about that? Boy Scouts, Charities, the GOP, Heritage Foundation (probably - not sure about that).

I don't think a local eco-group is getting government funding.

Grandview
04-26-2005, 07:17 AM
I know of a couple environmental nonprofit groups in this state that have gotten government funding in the past. Not sure if they still do.

green_mark
05-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Take a look at a controversial topic up close and personal.

I have applied chemicals since I was 9 years old on my farm where it was my job to spray 2-4d on horse-weeds in our cattle pasture. We had a dog and he was always full of ticks. It was my job to "dust the dog" with a pretty purple powder. The ticks would fall out within minutes. It was great, we laughed as we stepped on them. I loved my dog. My parents thought our connection was so strong that each time I would get violently ill as a child (many times each summer) he would get sick with me. Amazing no one imagined why it would happen within a day of "dusting the dog"

Then, as an adult , I applied them for farmers professionally.

Treflan was so pretty in the container. Such a nice inviting color. Then when mixed with water it turned totally yellow.

It took years after I got sick and the tumors came to get the yellow out of my hands and fingernails.

Amazing, five professional applicators in our community. All of us suffered,
3 don't anymore, 1 is close to peace, I remain.

It's not our customers who are at worst risk. It's us!

While I realize no study directly links pesticides to directly causing adverse health effects. I don't see the FDA telling us to drink two glasses daily. But we do when we apply without PROTECTION.

If you insist on applying, please lotion up your entire body everyday. This will help. Also wear water repelling clothing. At least this stops most skin absorption as the point of entry. The next thing is to try to use a respirator. This is hard in the heat and unlikely to be used.

The last thing. Try a spray gun from www.rittenhouse.ca it is called the lawnjet gun. It keeps the spray closer to the ground and about 2' in front of you.

Be smart. Please.

Visit www.whybanpesticies.org and just read. Maybe what happened to me and my friends won't happen to you or your family.