PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever call you their gardner?

ofishil
04-20-2005, 11:11 PM
I have a new cust. and he likes to call me his gardner. I have no idea why but it really bugs me. Most of my cust. call me by my name, or the lawn guy. Maybe I am overreacting.

Todd's lawncare
04-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Alot of guys would flip . I would say something if it bugs ya ! But dont be an a** about it .

Greenstar Services
04-21-2005, 12:42 AM
He is just proud that he can afford someone ,so charge him more when gas prices jump up again in the comming months. :D

trying 2b organic
04-21-2005, 01:01 AM
It doesnt bug me a bit. Its not ment to be an insult and its true, we all get the attitude some times that "oh, thats just the gardner". Its what keeps us humble. Just keep making that money. As long as I'm geting paid (well), im happy.

sheshovel
04-21-2005, 01:12 AM
i am a gardner and landscaper,I do renovations and know hoe to work with plants in a garden that makes me a gardener and that's OK with me,I get nothing but respect from the people who hire me.Nothing to be ashamed of being a gardner,it's a professional skill.

mike freeman
04-21-2005, 04:51 AM
I'm not in the business, but I would consider 'Gardner' to be as high or higher title then 'Lawn guy'.

I hire a Lawn guy to cut my grass, I hire a Gardner to maintain my million dollar estate. (i.e., more then just cutting grass) Of course, I would expect to pay more for a gardner then a lawn guy too.

Now if I only had a million dollar estate, I to, could impress my friends by hiring a Gardner. :D

For the amount of contact, I would just ignore it if it bothers you, as long as the checks clear. It is more then likely just an ego thing or the term they grew up with for a lawn maintenance professional.

rodfather
04-21-2005, 06:01 AM
Gardner, Lawn Guy, Landscaper...really, who cares?

Aussie Topcat
04-21-2005, 08:06 AM
The gardener sound good, better that the guy that cut the grass.

Now charge him more! gardener's get paid more than the lawn guy. LOL :laugh:

Runner
04-21-2005, 09:34 AM
I guess this would be the equivalent to the "maid/cleaning lady" dilemna for women.

daveintoledo
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
i will become like the gardener on desperate housewives " doing the clients "hahhhahhhah i say honey look at him and look at me... nuff said.. :blush:

nocutting
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a "compliment to me", I intro myself as a "Horticulturist", but very happy being there "Gardner" [ as we all no I dont cut anybodies grass],,,Dont make a big deal outa it :)

ndunn
04-21-2005, 01:07 PM
that's the title I would shoot for with customers anyway. If you are the "lawn guy", you probably get paid to cut the lawn. If you are the gardener, you probably get paid to cut the lawn, trim the hedges, keep the beds sharp, plant spring flowers, tend vegetables, control weeds and pests, and any number of things that lead to a better paycheck from a house you've already dropped your gate at anyway.

sheshovel
04-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a "compliment to me", I intro myself as a "Horticulturist", but very happy being there "Gardner" [ as we all no I dont cut anybodies grass],,,Dont make a big deal outa it :)

You should not use that title unless your holding a degree in Horticulture or are a certified Horticulturalist.IMAO :cool2:

Mo Green
04-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Gardener, Lawn Guy, Grass Cutter, Landscaper.......whatever. I could care less which one someone calls me....as long as they pay. payup

Remsen1
04-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I guess it would depend on how it was said. If it sounded like I was being referred to as one of the staff, then I would not like it. Otherwise I would take it as a compliment. I would take it to mean that this person wants everything maintained beautifully and is empowering me to do it all.

Rhett
04-21-2005, 07:15 PM
As long as they do not call me thier boy or lawnboy. That costs way extra

Green Pastures
04-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't care what they call me, as long as the check comes on time every month.

:blob3:

WhohasHelios?
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I do everything from installs to pruning to mowing...I would MUCH rather be called a gardener than a 'lawn guy' any day! No one is going to ask their lawn guy what to do about their roses, or that camelia that stopped blooming last season...And I like to have my clients know that they can approach me about anything on their property from the perimeter drains out and that i can provide a solid answer for them!

But at the end of the day, I rather people call me by name to be honest.

-Reuben

lawnguyland
04-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Call me what you will. Pay me. payup

AintNoFun
04-21-2005, 09:35 PM
i usually get called a gardener by people with serious money which irratates me... it makes me feel like a house keeper or something...

ECS
04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't care what they call me, as long as the check comes on time every month.

A client took me door to door last year when I decided to open my business. Took me to all his friends in the area that were there at the time. He introduced me to them and said that I was the person that took care of his lawn and everything else for him. He also told them that if he could have me full time he would. They can call me anything they want as long as they are paying me, just don't call me late for dinner.

robcrow03
04-22-2005, 07:00 PM
As long as their checks don't bounce they can call me anything they like. :) :)