PDA

View Full Version : Tired of all the trash talking

fairways
04-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Everyday I get on here there is a thread about some scrub trying to make some money and everyone has there cracks at them and what not. The last time a checked this site was to share ideas with each other and to get useful info from each other, this is my first year owning my business but have been in this industry for a bit now, don't you guys who argue on here have any kind of life or more importantly some work to do!! Lets make use of this site and stop worrying about everyone else and grow your own business!!

Todd's lawncare
04-21-2005, 12:07 AM
It will ever stop ? Form what i see there are only a few the want to and give good advice on anything and they don't seem to post much . I think it will be an on going thing unless it is stopped . The only thing that gets me is the racist remarks . And every one is scared of that 15 dollar lawn guy braking there bank . I look at it this way if you can't do them all then do the ones you got and deal with it . If you cant live on that do something else in life . i run two company's . And i still do side jobs on the side of that . You cant stop the low baller scrub and you cant cut them all your self . Let them have theres and you have yours and move on or fold your cards !!!!

SoloMow
04-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Fairways,
You really do get good information on LawnSite. Sometimes you have to filter out the BS. :rolleyes: Sometimes you have to roll with the flow. ;) But, most guys here are willing to help. :cool:

1MajorTom
04-21-2005, 12:18 AM
I agree this site is about sharing ideas and a place to interact with other guys and gals in the green industry. It also is a place to let your frustrations out and believe me we hear it all here... high gas prices, pain in the butt customers, collection problems, people that bid too low.... it's like sitting around with your favorite buddy and drinking a beer (if you drink) and telling your buddy, "you aren't gonna believe what happened to me today while I was out cutting Mrs. Smith's lawn...."
Fairways, congratualtions, you've been in business for one year, and I'm sure if you stay dedicated, you will prosper too. These guys here that have been at it 5, 10 and 15 plus years have seen it all, and so if they complain a little, so be it. I do know one thing though, how many times do you ever see a question go unanswered here at Lawnsite?? This forum is like a community, and when it comes down to it, we are all here to help.

Todd's lawncare
04-21-2005, 12:24 AM
I agree this site is about sharing ideas and a place to interact with other guys and gals in the green industry. It also is a place to let your frustrations out and believe me we hear it all here... high gas prices, pain in the butt customers, collection problems, people that bid too low.... it's like sitting around with your favorite buddy and drinking a beer (if you drink) and telling your buddy, "you aren't gonna believe what happened to me today while I was out cutting Mrs. Smith's lawn...."
Fairways, congratualtions, you've been in business for one year, and I'm sure if you stay dedicated, you will prosper too. These guys here that have been at it 5, 10 and 15 plus years have seen it all, and so if they complain a little, so be it. I do know one thing though, how many times do you ever see a question go unanswered here at Lawnsite?? This forum is like a community, and when it comes down to it, we are all here to help.
Be right but . There will be 1000 views at a ? and 500 people that post . Out of the 500 there will be 200 answer and ideas the rest will be bashing or bickering in the crowd . Am i worn or is it just me ? Don't get me wrong alot off good comes from here but there just the same amount of B/S . One person i think give good advice is Jim lewis and he don't like me but i still give him credit !!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:

Greenstar Services
04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
This site is a great place to give advice and get it. Granted there are a few people on here that post just for the sake of posting. A lot of bashing may go on about other lawn service providers but thats what business is all about. I have been in the industry for over 25 years. I have good years and bad, but what always seems to pull me through is quality service at a fair price.

daveintoledo
04-21-2005, 08:46 AM
there really is good information here, my first year has stared off great, as a direct result of help from the people here... thank you very much payup

br549oicu8
04-21-2005, 08:50 AM
I have been in business 25 years. The business has grown from one lawn to 200 mowing locations, 250 spray customers, 100 irrigation customers, etc.
Not bragging..just fact.
I can help others and am glad to do so. I also appreciate the help I get from reading your posts and getting my concerns answered in a professional manner. I was referred to as a newbie a while back...hahahaha!!
New to this site maybe.
I personally thank those that treat me and others with respect and concern. I promise to return the same.
SO as the original post said...............
Let's clean up the trash talking please!!!! :waving:

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Very good response (as usual) Jodi. Esp the part of the guys/gals that have seen alot of things in alot of years. Heck I find it kinda funny in a way that the guy that started this post is 26 and this year I've been doing this 26 years, so if he has seen much, much more and still feels the same way about the trash talking in 25 more years I'd be surprised. Plus heck, some of the trash talk is fun and only meant for that reason, to fully enjoy the site. I'll be the first to admit I'll talk junk, but I'll also freely help and give advise too! I also have never seen a "true" question ask on here that hasn't been answered in very helpful ways......now if your are asking which trimmer line to buy and didn't have the brains to Search on such a common question before you ask...well.....

Also to the poster the type thread you posted gets posted (if you had searched.....LOL) about once every month or so by a Newbie member.

mole
04-21-2005, 09:24 AM
This is why people are afraid to post. I Was just reading one about a guy who is trying to bid a wall that he has to do over from some other guy. all he asked was if his price was right for the hours he quoted. Now everyone is jumping all over the guy. What there not reading is that he has to do most of the work himself like taking out the stone wall. Me being a one man band know how hard it is to do everything myself. If you need something, I have to go get it not my help. if the customer comes out I have to stop working to ans. questions. this all adds up. If we don't have something good to say let's not say anything at all.

lawnranger44
04-21-2005, 03:33 PM

Yeah, what she said!

I don't think there is a problem.

HOOLIE
04-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Personally, I like that Lawnsite keeps the censorship to a minimum. I'd much rather see some senseless bickering than have the mods crack down on "non-educating" posts.

Some guys just need to blow off some steam and vent after a long day in the field...and that's alright with me. You're not gonna find useful info everyday you're on here, but chances are, you'll pick up some useful tips if you keep logging on.

pagefault
04-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Also to the poster the type thread you posted gets posted (if you had searched.....LOL) about once every month or so by a Newbie member.

There are new threads complaining about newbies, lowballers and scrubs every month too, but that doesn't stop the "old guard" from posting them over and over again. Maybe some of you are getting senile?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

marko
04-21-2005, 04:10 PM
There are new threads complaining about newbies, lowballers and scrubs every month too, but that doesn't stop the "old guard" from posting them over and over again. Maybe some of you are getting senile?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Just because someone has 1500 or so posts does not make them the "old guard!" As you said most of their posts have to do with whining or telling some one to look it up. If you went through and read all their posts, there would be about 12 constructive or informational posts in the 100's that they have made.

pagefault
04-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Just because someone has 1500 or so posts does not make them the "old guard!" As you said most of their posts have to do with whining or telling some one to look it up. If you went through and read all their posts, there would be about 12 constructive or informational posts in the 100's that they have made.

I haven't read all of the old posts, but I am not going to call you a liar. Are you saying that there are certain people who have taken the time to say "look it up" 1500 times, give or take a few whining posts? That's kind of sad.

Heh *snort* heheh

I've tried to say something helpful whenever I think I have something helpful to say.

marko
04-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I haven't read all of the old posts, but I am not going to call you a liar. Are you saying that there are certain people who have taken the time to say "look it up" 1500 times, give or take a few whining posts? That's kind of sad.

Heh *snort* heheh

I've tried to say something helpful whenever I think I have something helpful to say.

Exactly! If some of these guys would just skip them and not say anything unless it was helpful, they would be newbies on this site.

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Soooooooo, let's see..............
Some folks on here would like every one to say nice things....................never say a foul word or disagree with another..............guess what folks, that ain't the real world.

There are times when things just get ugly........I've been there...........there are other times where the poster just doesn't want to hear the truth, OR the question is so elementary that it becomes an amusement to some rather than a serious subject.

This site is much calmer than it once was........Kudos to Sean, Jodi, and the gang, but if you're looking for a Rodney King (can't we all just get along ) forum then I suggest you find something else to do with your time. The green industry in general is chock full of independant minded, rough and tumble, get it done folks, who don't worry too much about a bit of cussin' and fussin'............

If your skin is that thin then how will you deal with all of those onry customers? (without a Bobbygedd shovel that is......) :waving:

Tonyr
04-21-2005, 06:36 PM
G'Day OLD Mate!

How ya been DVM!??

My contribution is....What he said ^^^^^^^

I will say with risk of comeback, why is it all of a sudden when browsing this forum, recently joined members have so much critisism about this forum and it's older members?

It is a proven system, please settle in and learn to enjoy it, not critisise it or other members from the get go just because maybe someone was a little blunt or rough with you or in a thread you read, don't try to change this forum, how it is makes it so great, mess with it and it will break. Learn to go with the flow and lighten up about it, a lot of great people here!

When you log on, bring your sense of humour with you, makes a big difference, or if you want to battle it out with someone, be prepared for a line up of contenders!

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 06:44 PM
G'day Ya old codger, how've you been?

Good to see ya around................
Hope things have gone well for you and the other blokes down yonder this season..........

I think the young folks just want to be coddled sometimes rather than hear the truth...........Oh well............

Bring the sense of humor with ya............... good advice.

pagefault
04-21-2005, 06:57 PM
...not critisise it or other members from the get go just because maybe someone was a little blunt or rough with you or in a thread you read

If we're not supposed to criticize you for criticizing us, then you ought not criticize us for criticizing you.

Tonyr
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
If we're not supposed to criticize you for criticizing us, then you ought not criticize us for criticizing you.

My point is....there are heaps of new members here at the moment, in other threads they are often the aggressive ones, it takes awhile to get used to forums, some just join up and want to run the place, then this thread complaining about trash talk, this is an adult forum of mostly those in the green industry, it ain't always gunna be smooth going, just like small business.

your quote above....good point, touche! :)

if a lot of you new to forum guys would take more time to settle in here you would find it much more enjoyable.

I haven't looked at how many posts you have made, doesn't matter, but I have seen guys here under 8 weeks with hundreds of posts, look around and you'll see, and they can't say they are contributing 100% positive info here every post, but they whine about the older members, quite a few forum newbies come here and seem to want to suddenly clean this place up, I think it's pretty clean now actually....question is, what do the new members want??

swearing...is none.
critising other members...it is a forum, comes naturally.
debating....that's the idea, we do actually benefit from flogging out ideas etc.
rude etc....ok, but ya gunna get that, it is a forum of outdoors business people afterall, many opinions, many facets of the industry.
humour...lots of it, lighten up and you will see it!
fights....rare, but again, ya get that.

OK, please give a list of the problems new members find here that they want changed, provide problem and recommended solution please.

Dave...yeah mate, been off for awhile, I see our aussie forum died eh?
We are still around, russ, mick, alex, stuie...others have gone quiet.

our season is coming to a close, heaps of rain over last month, typical lol.
but we have had a good season, hoping to squeeze another month in due to rain...hope.

red goat still good, done an oil seal so off to dealer later, 1.5 hrs away.

did you end up buying another mower?

I better go before I get jumped on for hijacking this thread by chatting with you.

last question for the masses....why is everyone new here so damn sensitive??

If this forum upsets yas, how do yas handle the competitive world of Lawn Maintenance?

STOP!!! Before you touch that keyboard to reply , make sure you are typing useful, non confronting info for fellow lawnies to benefit from...remember, you guys started this, show us how to be better forum players. :)

Tonyr
04-21-2005, 08:00 PM
OK, I'm getting the picture now....calling people that is not right imo.

Doesn't matter what you 'may' of said for that person to say it....imo.

most here aren't that aggressive, true.

as far as newbies, most here have no problem with newbies, we were all once newbies!

if a newbie tries his best to run a legit business, doesn't deliberatly poach, cheat etc, etc you will find they are excepted here well, it is when newbies try bashing, or argueing with seasoned lco's there becomes issues.

Scrubs on the other hand are not favoured by most here for obvious reasons...

lowballing....personally I don't agree with that practice, but there are different opinions about that.

I appologise for the grief you have encounted, but it happens offline, and happens online with groups of tired exhausted, stressed people.

I hope you put it behind you and give it another chance, this really is a great forum, and many , many great people come to it.

once you get to know more people you will enjoy it more....

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 08:09 PM
I meant "s/he", as in he/she, he or she, etc. Just wanted to fix that before another fight erupted.

BTW, am I blind or did the "edit" function go away?

You can only edit a post within ten minutes or some such.................then it goes away..........

G'day ya old bloke................(TonyR)

pagefault
04-21-2005, 08:13 PM
most here aren't that aggressive, true.

as far as newbies, most here have no problem with newbies, we were all once newbies!

Most aren't, that's true. Some are. My opinion is that if certain people disagree with a newbie, they will respond in a way that they would never dream of responding to a senior member, even if that senior member has said pretty much the same thing as the newbie.

My feeling is that if you don't have the stones to say it to a senior member and to take the same tone when you do, then don't do it to the newbie either. Otherwise, you're just a bully waiting to get popped in the nose.

Not you Tonyr, but rather you people in general.

Tonyr
04-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Most aren't, that's true. Some are. My opinion is that if certain people disagree with a newbie, they will respond in a way that they would never dream of responding to a senior member, even if that senior member has said pretty much the same thing as the newbie.

My feeling is that if you don't have the stones to say it to a senior member and to take the same tone when you do, then don't do it to the newbie either. Otherwise, you're just a bully waiting to get popped in the nose.

Not you Tonyr, but rather you people in general.

Yes, I will have to agree with you there...good point, good post!

problem is, it'll never change, we all have different personalities, while there are many top notch folk here, there are some real bloody wankers too lol...gotta take the good with the bad as they say.

But, I understand your point in this last post and agree, but it's only a forum, some are too addicted to it and the politics, while many of us come here for advise, good time, rant n rave etc, while others think they are the godfather of forums.

Just put the bad behind you and the good here will become obvious to you, and yes, when I joined here I got dished on too, just give as good as ya get, or dump that thread and move on, or put that person on your egnore list thing...wait till all the teenager gurus of this industry join as they flock in every year, reckon it's hot now....lol.

nobagger
04-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Just reading through all of the posts and I have to admit, I am a newbi in here but in lawn care for awhile. Ive seen and started my share of "lowballer,scrub" threads, but I see more and more people starting up with no idea what to charge, maybe you should know this before you go into business for yourself. There are also posts and threads in here from certain people that I don't think are happy unless they are ripping on or putting someone down, and thats not right. BUT... this is a PROFESSIONAL LAWN CARE SITE, correct? and I'm sorry but i take offense to people who have NO idea what to charge, what to put into a contract etc. But a lot of this "venting" is not even directed to any member in here, just someone they saw at some point in time. There are many many opinions in here and people will clash, it's human nature. So if some people are that "thin skinned" then how do they deal with the public and customers, or do they just mow on a perfect "Mysteria Lane" every week. AND YES, LOWBALLERS AND SCRUBS WILL RUIN THIS INDUSTRY!! payup :D

Todd's lawncare
04-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Just reading through all of the posts and I have to admit, I am a newbi in here but in lawn care for awhile. Ive seen and started my share of "lowballer,scrub" threads, but I see more and more people starting up with no idea what to charge, maybe you should know this before you go into business for yourself. There are also posts and threads in here from certain people that I don't think are happy unless they are ripping on or putting someone down, and thats not right. BUT... this is a PROFESSIONAL LAWN CARE SITE, correct? and I'm sorry but i take offense to people who have NO idea what to charge, what to put into a contract etc. But a lot of this "venting" is not even directed to any member in here, just someone they saw at some point in time. There are many many opinions in here and people will clash, it's human nature. So if some people are that "thin skinned" then how do they deal with the public and customers, or do they just mow on a perfect "Mysteria Lane" every week. AND YES, LOWBALLERS AND SCRUBS WILL RUIN THIS INDUSTRY!! payup :D
There has always been a low baller for ever and there always will be when did you wake up. And what is a scrub to you some one with a old truck and old mower ? a 4X8 trailer ? I think someone with and over Head of 500 a month can charge a little bit less then a guy who has an over head of 1500 . I have 3 trucks in the 70's anit nothing wrong with them at all they look good run good whats the problem ? But that one guy with the 2005 truck and mower all new red max hand tools and is 150,000 in the hole with out making a dime in my book is nuts in this type of work . With all the low balling scrub as you say why would any one do it ? There a guy how started by me with old trucks not the best but good mowers and has almost 20 trucks today . And there are alot of guys doing it for charity work around here . I'm new here but been in it for over 2 years and i did it since i was 16 . the only thing i have that is new is hand tools every year trimer blower and what not.
The only thing that gets me is the raciest remarks i don't care if you will only hire this type or worker or not it don't need to be said at all i'll hire anyone that works your mom my mom grand kids black white Chinese don't matter but as far as all white guys don't work well hell half of the owners they wont hire white guys are white so they are saying alot about them selfs . I think this site is grate but when a new guy ask something alot just say search when one could live in pa and they one that asked 2 years ago could live in Cali . So what would work for him may not work for the other . But what do i know i'm only 22 so i don't know nothing unless your 50 and been doing it for 40 years .

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Extraordinarily said there (as usual) DVM and Tonyr!

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Extraordinarily said there (as usual) DVM and Tonyr!

Mike,
If you keep up this kind of talk I won't be able to get up and get my swelled empty head through the doorway to go have a couple of cold ones like I was planning.............. :waving:

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Mike,
If you keep up this kind of talk I won't be able to get up and get my swelled empty head through the doorway to go have a couple of cold ones like I was planning.............. :waving:

LMAO! Well, tell you what then, I'll go have two for you...hope you like Coors Light or Coronas!

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
LMAO! Well, tell you what then, I'll go have two for you...hope you like Coors Light or Coronas!

I'm going for a few Molsons............... :cool2:

Oh, wait..........talking about alchohol on a professional forum.............is that considered trash talking?????

Just kidding folks, couldn't help myself..............

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=dvmcmrhp52]I'm going for a few Molsons............... :cool2:[QUOTE]

Oh I see the high class beer while I drink the "lowballer, scrub" of beer....sorry I had too also..... :rolleyes:

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=dvmcmrhp52]I'm going for a few Molsons............... :cool2:[QUOTE]

Oh I see the high class beer while I drink the "lowballer, scrub" of beer....sorry I had too also..... :rolleyes:

Welllllll, Either you're a lowballing scrub wannabe or you're a "professional" with expensive equipment and fancy trucks, etc., etc................just trying to keep up with the image don't ya know................

This is too much fun, I got to stop now...........LOL!

pagefault
04-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Coors?

Molson?

Send me your addresses and I'll send you each a case of Shiner Bock.

:waving:

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Coors?

Molson?

BOCK? That sounds like one of those eXmark's of beers......I'm a Murray Lawn Tractor of beers kinda guy myself.....LOL

nocutting
04-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi, I'm a "Newbe" on this site and got bashed the otherday in the "Organic Forum"......It was like I got Blindsided, .....a shot from left field......Dont even think my "Basher" was organic?....Bacically I just wanted to comment that I enjoy this site, try to help out when & where I can, think for the most part that Its Great So Many of You [ myself included] are willing to help out each other......In my area on any given day you see 3-5 landscape trucks [ all different] on the same street.....Within about 60miles there are 3 lesco branchs..[ when I started there were none, we had 1 agway or we shopped outa state for our materials].....Just glad that this is a professional site :)

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Coors?

Molson?

Never heard of it, must be a local?
Send it on up..........I'm thirsty! :waving:

I think I'll go quench that thirst now..............

dvmcmrhp52
04-21-2005, 11:46 PM
BOCK? That sounds like one of those eXmark's of beers......I'm a Murray Lawn Tractor of beers kinda guy myself.....LOL

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!
NOW I AM going for that cold one...........SEEYA!

MMLawn
04-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Hi, I'm a "Newbe" on this site and got bashed the otherday in the "Organic Forum"......

Hey nocutting I personally PROMISE you that I will NEVER BASH you on the Organic Forum...........cause I'll never be on there probably. LOL

Bring on the 2-4-D......dang I wish I had some DDT! LOL :p

fairways
04-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Does everyone think that lowballing only takes place in this industry? Seems that way, lowballing takes place in every industry you could possibly think of, accept and move on......too much energy spent on worrying and bitching about lowballing.

Texas Mowem
04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
:drinkup: Coors?

Molson?

Will you send me a case of Shiner ? :drinkup:

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Somebody send him a case of "Texas Pride", That'll teach'em to have some standards anyway.

Always had a prefrence for Ham's and Cook's myself. And I need to make a trip back east for a few cases of Sterling. In big mouth bottles. Now that's good brew :)

pagefault
04-22-2005, 12:37 AM
:drinkup:

Will you send me a case of Shiner ? :drinkup:

What? Are you in a dry county, or just lazy?

Heh.

Todd's lawncare
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Drink good beer

mexiking
03-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Everyday I get on here there is a thread about some scrub trying to make some money and everyone has there cracks at them and what not. The last time a checked this site was to share ideas with each other and to get useful info from each other, this is my first year owning my business but have been in this industry for a bit now, don't you guys who argue on here have any kind of life or more importantly some work to do!! Lets make use of this site and stop worrying about everyone else and grow your own business!!

You're a joke... Go to school and you'll learn how to run your business with out people helping you.

oslo
03-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Does everyone think that lowballing only takes place in this industry? Seems that way, lowballing takes place in every industry you could possibly think of, accept and move on......too much energy spent on worrying and bitching about lowballing.

People in this industry just cry about it more because it is an industry where you can get into it with almost no startup cost, brains, or previous experience/skill, so people that have been doing it for awhile and have large investments are much more vulnerable than people in other industries....and we know it, whether we admit it or not.

Jpocket
03-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I think all the arguements, and bickering add "color" to the site. I mean if everyone was nice to each other the site would be kinda boring...Like Ned Flanders on the Simpsons (showing my age). Honestly though I don't come here for Real dead on advise B/C we are all in different areas and when someone gives advise you have to apply what works for you, it just gives you a general idea. For real sound advise I consult older guys in business that i know in my area. Thats where you get the "REAL LOW DOWN" on your area.

I see lawnsite as the 10 o'clock news for the lawn business, it tells me whats new and whats goin on, the arguements add excitement and gives a reason to come here when there are no interesting threads.

Jpocket
03-22-2006, 08:03 AM
THIS IS A YEAR OLD THREAD I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS:hammerhead:

Thugz
03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I make sure I am at least 10-15 dollars cheaper than anyone around.

Runner
03-23-2006, 12:46 PM
10-15 bucks? And what is your profit margin...your TRUE profit margin? If you are covering all your costs like you should be (incl. taxes and insurance) there IS no 10 15 bucks you can come under everyone.

Mike's Lawn & Snow
03-23-2006, 01:33 PM
haha what an idiot i hope he was joking about that 10 or 15 dollar bit

PMLAWN
03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I make sure I am at least 10-15 dollars cheaper than anyone around.

Don't know who this guy is but he likes to stir the pot. 2 posts- one about how this site is no good and now one about undercutting competition.

I hate when the trolls are so easy to spot. No sport in that.