PDA

View Full Version : digging hard ground

Scag52inch
04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
What do you guys do when your trying to plant and the ground is hard as rock or is mostly ROCK? This is a serious issue around here especially with the newer homes. Have to use a digging iron for the smallest of holes. Any ideas? I dont even think a hand held auger would work to well. Thanks for any advice.

drmiller100
04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
jack hammer.

sounds funny, but years ago I used a jack hammer to put holes in the ground to where we could stick dynomite to loosen the hardpan for fence posts.

precisioncut
04-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Funny you asked, because just today I was digging a trench at a house that was mostly rock and had to use a hammer drill to help losen some of it up.

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2005, 12:09 AM
You can get electcic jack hammers, and they don't work to bad. Not as well as a high volume 90# hammer, but they would handle a spade bit and be better than a rock bar and in the long run more profitable I would think.

AGLA
04-22-2005, 06:41 AM
You may already do this, but I'll mention it if you don't. Make the shovel do the work. Put your weight down on it and pull the handle back and forth to work the blade in. Then pry it up. I saw a lot of guys beat themselves to death chipping away at it instead of just working that shovel in.

Mo Green
04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
An auger may help, also.

Neal Wolbert
04-23-2005, 03:05 AM
If you have the budget, and the room, you could build soil berms about 18" deep and plant in them. The sub soil won't make that much difference that way and you won't have get a blasting permit:-) I can't imagine plants thriving in the soil you described anyway. Neal

Scag52inch
04-23-2005, 06:03 PM
the job is going to require about 24 yards of topsoil to be brought in for the purpose of the plants. Id like to at least try to till it in a little bit ... dont know if my tiller will break subsoil though. Its been pretty rainy here last couple of days maybee that will help.