PDA

View Full Version : Labor Cost for my BOSS!

spartan4life04
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
I am doing about a 300 sq ft patio, one level is raised and the other is ground level. It will probably take me 3 or 4 days with myself and a buddy of mine, from start to finish. I want to give him a good deal, but at the same time I want to make some good money. What's your recommendation on $/sq. ft.

Soupy
04-21-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm confused :dizzy:. Are you saying that your boss needs you to do a job and you need to know what to charge him? Are you an employee or a Sub? More confused :dizzy:.

sheshovel
04-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Charge him the same as you would anyone else.

WhohasHelios?
04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
I agree with SheShovel. Charge him the same, and if you feel so generous when the job is done perhaps cut him a 5 % discount because he is such a great boss... :p

Soupy
04-21-2005, 11:16 PM
OH! I think I get it now. You have a job and do landscaping too. Your boss is hiring you outside of work to do landscaping. Then yes, charge him your normal price or whatever you feel comfortable with.

You do know your cost?

mbella
04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
I am doing about a 300 sq ft patio, one level is raised and the other is ground level. It will probably take me 3 or 4 days with myself and a buddy of mine, from start to finish. I want to give him a good deal, but at the same time I want to make some good money. What's your recommendation on $/sq. ft.

Tell him to hire a professional.

spartan4life04
04-22-2005, 11:42 AM
sorry....I didn't explain my situation.... I actually work at Chrysler and I used to do landscaping during high school and college. So I know what I'm doing and my boss at CHRYSLER wants me to put in a patio at his house as a side job. I don't have any of my own equipment (tamper, saw etc) so I have to rent everything and have the material delivered.

OK ....now that i explained myself a little more....

spartan4life04
04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
I DO NOT know my cost....this is really the first side job I have done. Need some help. THanks guys

treedoc1
04-22-2005, 01:05 PM
$20-24 sq ft

YardPro
04-23-2005, 07:14 AM
sounds like a good way to screw up your relationship with your boss.

if you have never done this before i surely would not do the first job for my boss that i have to work with every day, and who has control over my pay increases.....

if you have problems, it will make for an uncomfortable work environment.

AceSprinkleRx
04-23-2005, 10:48 AM
sounds like a good way to screw up your relationship with your boss.

if you have never done this before i surely would not do the first job for my boss that i have to work with every day, and who has control over my pay increases.....

if you have problems, it will make for an uncomfortable work environment.

Yeah. On top of that what would happen if you were to get hurt on HIS property which affected your Chrysler job?

Is it a Work Comp issue since you're working for your 'boss'? Would you make a medical claim against his homeowners policy? But most important of all, is his wife a hottie?!?!?

spartan4life04
04-23-2005, 01:22 PM
NO COMMENT!! They are a younger couple, 30 or so.....so they are both very cool. He's a good guy....I guess I'll just have to sue him and take all his money if I get hurt :cool2:

Gene $immons
04-25-2005, 08:30 AM
I would charge around $20 per sq. ft.

Ignore the morons who say to not do the job. Its not that hard.

mbella
04-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Gene $immons, since it's "not that hard", why don't you post more often in the Hardscape Forum? Maybe you could enlighten us on how it's become "not that hard" for you. You refer to "morons." Your reply is moronic.

mbella
04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
That's really convenient that you have a square foot price. That really makes estimating easy.

Oh yeah, Gene "moron" Simmons, his boss' house is a center townhouse unit on a string of 30 townhouses. You have to move everything by hand. Are you still charging $20 per square foot?

I guess if the grass isn't growing you probably are.

YardPro
04-26-2005, 07:39 AM
LOL

that's funny.........

Gene $immons
04-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Oh yeah, Gene "moron" Simmons, his boss' house is a center townhouse unit on a string of 30 townhouses. You have to move everything by hand. Are you still charging $20 per square foot?

Where does he say this? There is nothing in his post about access. If that is the case, then yes, the cost is much more. Tough guy.

mbella
04-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Sorry if I upset you Gene $immons. My point was, why would you throw a sq.ft. price out there without asking questions about access and other variables? Why would you give a square foot price based on the information he gave? You called others "morons." Did you read the part where he said part of the patio was "raised." Is your price still $20.00 per square foot?

I thought and still do think your comment was moronic. Somebody new to the business might actually think you know something about hardscaping and price a job based on your comments. That would be unfortunate. Oh yeah, don't wait for a response to your PM.

Gene $immons
04-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Your right, there are many many variables to consider. I have found that 20.00 per square foot has worked well for us. But that means nothing. I apologize for using the word moron, you obviously have lots of experience in hardscaping. I was just trying to encourage someone to not be afraid of the job. He needs to figure out his own costs.

YardPro
04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
gene i agree with what you say. I also have some very rough sq ft prices that i can use to give customers a rough idea of costs.

i do however think that doing a first time job ( there WILL be mistakes) for someone who is your boss, could turn into a very sticky situation. If anything goes wrong on the job, it could affect his regular job.

mbella
04-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Gene, I have rough square foot pricing as well, but it's not something I would use to help a beginner price a job. Especially not without all of the information like access, product, timing, etc.

Yardpro, I agree, pricing aside, I wouldn't advise Spartan to do the job. There are too many other dynamics with the boss/employee relationship coupled with the fact he is inexperienced.

spartan4life04
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I actually have about 5 years of experience. I used to do landscaping in the summer during high school and college so I know what I am doing. I wouldn't be doing this job if I didn't know what I was doing.

all degree
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Gene good to see you back!!

My question for spartan is how many have you done in the past? A patio is no hard from a technical point of view but it can take a lot of back breaking labor with two guys and shovels.

If you boss is going for a deal you are going to get screwed. Estimate your costs and add 10%. Then figure out how much you want to make for yourself and give him the price.

spartan4life04
04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm going to have some help....i workout...it's OK :D

That's sounds like a fair enough rate - 10% and whatever I want to make

I've done probably about 10-15 patios back in the day. I used to run little crews for the landscaping company I worked for and we did everything the old fashion way too....so I know what I'm getting into....bobcat...what's that!

mbella
04-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Spartan, what kind of warranty are you going to give the customer?