PDA

View Full Version : Need a heat tolerant bush

cleancutccl
04-22-2005, 01:02 AM
I need to replace 7 taxus densiformis that were burnt up with something similar that can handle heat. They are planted in a rock bed right next to a light colored brick building. The area faces straight east so it catches morning and midday sun. Another thing is it should be low maintenance. Any ideas? I'm thinking of some small evergreen, but I'm not sure how they will handle the heat.

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2005, 01:16 AM
a dwarf pfitzer of some kind would work. variety would depend on what size you want to maintain and maintained habit. Alternately, does it have to be evergreen? Yellow barberry would be a nice contrast, even in winter. I just don't want to plant them or remove them LOL

cleancutccl
04-22-2005, 01:19 AM
The nice thing is its commercial so no kids playing around them to worry about, however I hope to have this account for awhile, so I will be maintaining them. The less dangerous a bush the better. And it doesn't have to be evergreen, just an idea.

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Densi' to me mean a taller shrub at maturity. If a 2' something works......how bout Potentilla? white or yellow bloom, your choice and once they are established, almost impossible to kill unless you totally neglect them.

cleancutccl
04-22-2005, 01:29 AM
I'll look into those, white color would be great. How much do they usually run, 50?

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Ouch, 5 gal anything for $50?? Should be able to buy some nice 5gal ones for less than $20.

cleancutccl
04-22-2005, 01:46 AM
I was just at the nursery the other day looking at azealeas, got my prices out of wack. Those things are expensive.

AGLA
04-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Most ornamental grasses and most needle-leaf evergreens will take a blazing situation like that.

sheshovel
04-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Suggest you invest in" The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Garden Plant Encyclopedia"great book.expensive but well worth it.You can sometimes find them used in good condition on Amazon.com or Abe books.com.I get alot of my ref books there cheap and good. Sheshovel

cleancutccl
04-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Thanks sheshovel, I will definitely look into that. I need a good quick reference book just for situations like this one.