PDA

View Full Version : Work shoes

redoak77
04-22-2005, 10:01 PM
i plan on trading in the tennis shoes this week for a pair of nice work boots. Just curious to see what all ya wear on your feet?

MowerMoney
04-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Duckies when it's wet. Been thinking of something steel toed just in case. Those blades cut real quick.

The mayor
04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
A nice pair of brown red wings. Not sure if steel toe would help on a spinning blade. I would think not. Hope to never find out.

traman
04-22-2005, 10:23 PM
wolverine with dura shock soles nice boot ,sears had them on sale 3 weeks ago http://www.wolverinebootsandshoes.com/catalog/gallery.aspx?gid=M&pid=all

apluslawn
04-23-2005, 02:16 AM
ive got a pair of caterpillars and theyre pretty nice they werent too cheap but they are holding up red wings and wolverines are also real good but not cheap you better make that investment and protect those feet you wont regret it in the long run :cool:

lawnranger44
04-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I wear sneakers usually to mow, steel toed boots if its wet or if its landscaping work.

Mo Green
04-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I traded in my tennis shoes for a pair of waterproof Carhart work boots that I bought at Redwing Shoes for $110. I tried the Redwings and they were nice, but $170 for a pair of boots is a bit much for me. For me, the Carhart boots fit nicer and felt better that the Redwings.

kc2006
04-23-2005, 12:41 PM
i normally wear tennis shoes, i used to wear work boots but they had a thin sole and thats how i ended up fracturing my foot in 4 places and took me out of work for 2 years. I have a pair of custom arch supports now so i can wear anything thin sole or not. tennis shoes or low cut work boots for me, kinda like a work shoe.

proenterprises
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I wear timberland pro's. They are a nice boot. Tennis shoes dont give me the support I need on my ankle; you can feel it after walking for the day.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-24-2005, 12:29 AM
I wore Cat's before I wore the soles down on them, I have an uneven step so they wear funny. I chose not to spend the $200 plus on them this time around and when with a pair that I forget the name lol. They run a composite toe instead of steel. Mostly so u don't get cold feet in the winter.

Todd's lawncare
04-24-2005, 12:43 AM
185 red wing well worth it

Bigfoot
04-24-2005, 07:11 AM
The Woverine dura-shocks are good. Real easy on the old feet.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-24-2005, 07:27 AM
I wear "Survivers" from Walmart. They are waterproof, and right at $50. Very comfortable....and not so heavy. I would like to wear steel toes...but they are too heavy.

Derek

ProMo
04-24-2005, 08:15 AM
http://www.magnumboots.com/htmlproducts.php?pnum=21&id=M&imageid=m21&family=all

crawdad
04-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Steel toes aren't gonna help if you stick your foot under the deck.
Sneakers for me. The lighter, the better, I put on a lot of miles.
Crawdad

Triple R
04-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I used to wear Wolverines but they didn't last long enough and my feet would hurt once in a while. I now use Danner Workman, they are waterproof. These are the highest quality and most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I can work work 10-12 hour days (walking, no riders) and my feet hold up fine, wish I could say the same about my knee. Only down side is that I only get about 6 months out of a pair which is still more than any other boot I have tried. Price is compareble with Redwing and high end Wolverines at $170 a pair, worth every penny to me.

kwelch
04-24-2005, 09:43 PM
You guys wear shoes?

out4now
04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Used to wear Caterpillar and Wolverine (same company) then started wearing Red Wings.

lawnandplow42
04-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Steel toe is great. It stands up to hits from the trimmer string, and in the rare occasion of sticking your toes under the mower, they are better than non-steel toes.

I usually wear logger style work boots. Not the easiest on the turf, but thats what i'm most comfortable in.

cleancutccl
04-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I wear water resistant hiking shoes, they are durable and give you the protection of workboots without the weight. Mine right now are a pair of Nike ACGs

crawdad
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
Steel toe is great. It stands up to hits from the trimmer string, and in the rare occasion of sticking your toes under the mower, they are better than non-steel toes.

I usually wear logger style work boots. Not the easiest on the turf, but thats what i'm most comfortable in.

Has anyone tested steel toes vs spinning blades?
I keep my feet out from under the machines, but there is always a chance of an accident. I really don't think the little bit of steel would help against 17 or more horsepower, spinning a sharp blade.
I think the extra weight is more of a problem than a protection.
What really matters is comfort. If you are more comfortable in logging boots, then wear them. I used to wear wrestling shoes, they don't weigh hardly anything, but they don't give much support to the arches.
Crawdad

twins_lawn_care
04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
I got a pair of Timberland boots from the outlet mall cheaper than a pair of cheap gym shoes, and are comfortable as all heck.
I would recommend them not only for the comfort, but they look a lot more professional than gym shoes in my opinion.

Smalltimer1
04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
I wear Justin Boots, the work boot style with the 1" thick composite sole. I've still got the pair I bought 4 years ago. In fact I'm wearing them right now. They're the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. The pair I am wearing cost right at $150 when they were new, the soles on these are worn kinda funny, but I'm not gonna stop wearing them until there is nothing left of the sole and then I might have them resoled if they're in good enough shape then. The last pair I bought last year were $130. They are well worth the money in my opinion.

Pro-Scapes
04-25-2005, 10:31 AM
You have to take care of your feet as well as the rest of your body. Its one of the pieces of equipment you can't take in for repair or pick up a new one if things go wrong.

I use Georgia boots. They are avalible at varrious local dealers down here. They range from 60 to 140 bucks and are super comfortable. Tons of support. My soles are the flat ultra sole treaded ones. No slip. Oil resistant. This pair I have had for about 6 months. I also spray my feet daily before I put on socks to avoid stink and athletes foot. Mine aint steel toed but I have some of thoes when I need em. I used to use red wings but love the cost and feel of these.

Well my day was the only thing cut short here today. Rain ugh

bicmudpuppy
04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't mow grass now that I'm self employed. Only irrigation with a small bit of landscaping. While working on golf courses as a kid.......I helped haul guys to the hospital for tennis shoes twice because they slipped with a push mower. The steel will stop a blade, but most of the time, a mower deck incident will hit the foot below the steel toe or at least start below the steel cup. I still recomend OSHA saftey toes. I would be w/o some toes if I didn't wear them. That spinning blade will do the same to the foot that slides under it that is does to anything else. If there is enough weight there, it will either stop or kick it out. Either is better than getting mulched. Yes, good saftey boots are heavier, but ask any good hiker. A good pair of well fit boots walk better than tennis shoes any day. I like 8" laces. My son still argues and wears the shorter 6" boots. Boots are just like saftey glasses, they have to fit or they are uncomfortable and you won't wear them. I personally tend to shop for cheaper boots as long as they fit. Working sprinklers, I stay wet and I'm not going to spend the money on two sets of boots. If you don't let them dry out, it doesn't matter how good the quality, they still rot and fall apart. If you can afford it, buy two pairs of identical boots and rotate them every day. This works with cheap boots too :)
They will last 4 or 5 times longer.