PDA

View Full Version : Wind Resistant plants

coastallandscapesolutions
04-23-2005, 01:51 AM
I've got a customer that has a house situated on a golf course. There is a 180' long berm, 3' wide for a plant bed that follows the lines of the backyard facing the golf course. Due to a freak in design of the subdivision there is almost a constant wind between 20 mph to 50 mph all of the time. (yes, it has been mesaured and documented over a eight week time frame.) I have talked to the developer and there is nothing that he can do simply by the way the development is done. The customer wants all sorts of flowers and shrubs in back that will not impede the view of the golf course. Otherwords the plants can not exceed 28" to 32" tall. So far the winds have killed 5 windmill palms, a dozen roses and Oleanders. I am now thinking Daylillies the entire stretch. Ideas?

Oh yea, I even had the local extension from Clemson University look at this and they tossed their hands up.

YardPro
04-23-2005, 07:07 AM
here on the island between ocean front homes we have good success with whee;er's dwarf pitts, and yes daylillier... they are almose indestructable.
the thicker leafed euonymous do really well also (gold spot, silver king/queen). Also all the junipers.....wax leaf lagustrum can be kept low with a little maintenance. Lantana and verbena also do very well in windy areas, especially if there is water.

Vitex ratundafolia or vitex oblongata do really well, but are decidous.

cgland
04-23-2005, 03:46 PM
If it is on a golf course, how about some hameln grasses, daylillies, liriope, blue pacific junipers and a bunch of accent boulders. Give it that Myrtle Beach feel.

Chris

DALMlawn&landscaping
04-24-2005, 01:39 AM
tell him to put some widmills up and sell the energy back to the state/city whatever, and stop bitching, 20-50mph wind! daaaaamn! that could probably pay for his utility bill and rent, thats a lot of wind dude.

sheshovel
04-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Try Yarrow,Red hot Poker,Artemisia,Dianthus "pink",Agapanthus,Limonium perezii,Santolina,Euryops,Thrift.....

nocutting
04-24-2005, 08:40 PM
How about a back drop of rosa rugosa to save those flowers.............

coastallandscapesolutions
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Great ideas. We are in zone 8a too.

sheshovel
04-24-2005, 09:43 PM
How about a back drop of rosa rugosa to save those flowers.............
All those flowers are wind resistant my dear know it all, nocutting