PDA

View Full Version : New mower Pics

pottstim
04-24-2005, 05:47 PM
I just wanted to share a few pics of an old antique rider that I bought last week. It's a '69 Huffy Caprice Electromatic. As a young boy in upstate NY I had a Huffy Sheraton (same as a Caprice minus the electric start), and that little mower meant the world to me. For years I vowed to have another one to tinker around with, and last Sunday I found that old Caprice near Syracuse NY. Being as I live in TN now, I had my cousin and her husband drive over and check it out this past tuesday. It still runs and drives really good. The previous owner mowed with it until he put it up last fall. I plan on restoring it a little bit at a time and keep it around as an old keepsake. Some fond childhood memories will be relived. Now I just have to get some vacation and drive up to NY to pick it up.

pottstim
04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
here's another

pottstim
04-24-2005, 05:54 PM
and another...........

pottstim
04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
and a shot of me on my old Sheraton taken in the summer of 1982 in Upstate NY

A+ Lawncare
04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
what size hp motor is that? and deck size?

do you plan to use that all for cutting or just to have and be tucked away in the garage?

pottstim
04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
It's a 7hp Briggs engine with a 32" deck. I plan on keeping it put up, and occasionally getting it out and playing around with it. It still runs and mows pretty well. There is an antique mower/tractor show here in my town every year, and I plan on taking it down there and displaying it. Thanks for looking at the pics.

Tim

KINGjosh
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I think the best antique mowers are the Forrest gump ones. That little snapper rider or whatever he rode in that movie

grass_cuttin_fool
04-24-2005, 10:03 PM
That mower seems to have been taken care of to be that old and look that good and clean

pottstim
04-24-2005, 10:25 PM
That mower seems to have been taken care of to be that old and look that good and clean

Yep, those were my thoughts exactly. I acted fast as soon as I first saw it up for sale. The previous owner said that his father-in-law was the original owner and that it was originally purchased on Long Island, NY. He said other than the belts, fuel line, and a few nuts and bolts everything else was all original. The seat has a small tare in it and I plan on having someone at an upholstery shop mend it for me. Then I'm gonna remove the deck and sand and repaint it. I'm sure most of you have seen the lawn mower racers on TV. Well, old Huffy mowers are really big with those guys. I wanted to be sure to snatch this one up before one of those guys got to it first and keep it in original condition. I've also managed to find a couple of vintage 1969 full-color magazine ads on Ebay that have this mower on them. One is already here, and I should have the other by the first of the week.They are in plastic sleaves, and I plan on framing them.

Tim

IMoLwnz.com
04-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Very COOL!!! I have a shot of me on a David Bradley and I went out and bought one too and had it painted like the one my dad had!! It was the First tractor I mowed grass with!! Ill have to scan the photo and share...

pottstim
04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Very COOL!!! I have a shot of me on a David Bradley and I went out and bought one too and had it painted like the one my dad had!! It was the First tractor I mowed grass with!! Ill have to scan the photo and share...

Sounds great, IMolwnz! I will look forward to seeing your pics. I can remember my dad letting me ride the Huffy at age 5. He would walk beside me as I drove it in the lawn. My old Huffy originally belonged to my late grandfather. He gave it to me and my folks when he went out and bought his new Wheelhorse in 1982. Grandpa knew how much I loved that old Huffy, so that's why he gave it to us. I can remember as we drove away from his house with the mower in the back our truck. He pretended like he was crying... LOL. I knew he was only joking, he loved to joke around. IT was a classic moment. That's why finding another mower like that old Huffy meant so much to me. There's a lot of very fond memories involved.

nukeday
01-06-2006, 10:14 PM
I am going to pick this up tomorrow. I intend to just use it, apparently the carb was kitted last summer and it ran over the summer, but does not now.

I've looked on the internet for information on this mower, and I'm not finding anything encouraging...

I'd like to hear from you folks, I should have SN and model, so forth tomorrow.

Thanks,
Todd

Gatewayuser
01-06-2006, 10:27 PM
My dad use to have one of those but we turned it into a go-cart which we don't have anymore. Here's my 76 ariens.

pottstim
01-07-2006, 12:37 AM
here is an updated shot of my Caprice with the repainted wheels. right now I've got the mower deck off to repaint it.

[img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3001/huffyramp6zg.th.jpg] (http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=huffyramp6zg.jpg)

lockerboy
08-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Hey I have a question how much did u pay for that huffy i got one and i am feeling to sell it i need the money or if i should keep it and maybe be able to sell it for more later but how much should i sell it for