PDA

View Full Version : Need more garage space...

onelegjohn
04-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Running out of room. Anyone ever put an addition on an existing garage? How much am I looking at if I put up a simple 4 bay garage - just for my equipment?

Turfdude
04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
What size property do you have? Are there any zoning issues?? You may want to check into a pole barn building. They're very economical.

onelegjohn
04-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a rental property in a residential area.... It has a very deep lot - about an acre. What zoning and permits will I need to deal with and would it be more economical to buy a different properety?

Turfdude
04-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I have a rental property in a residential area.... It has a very deep lot - about an acre. What zoning and permits will I need to deal with and would it be more economical to buy a different properety?
You just said a residential neighborhood - & you want to put up a 4 car garage for a business - you better check w/ zoning b4 u build something u can't use

RedWingsDet
04-24-2005, 09:13 PM
theres a guy down the street who has a 4 car garage. and these are only like 40x80ft lots. we almost bought the house just because the garage. it had heat and ac in it, and a lift, and all that sweet stuff.

lawnandplow42
04-24-2005, 09:54 PM
if you can afford a 4 bay, go for it!!

br549oicu8
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
As a Building Inspector I do highly advise checking all zoning regulations prior to planning a new structure at your residence. The size of the garage is only one consideration. It's the use that really matters to zoning officials. I do structural inspections but have to work with the zoning nazis so ask first.!!
We grew to the point of "you gotta move out of the neighborhood".
So we purchased a lot, saved like crazy and two years later we are there!!
Below is a pic a while back of our new 2400 square foot shop. 14' tall ceilings, 2 small offices, our REQUIRED ADA bathroom, etc.
It looks a bit differernt now with the concrete in and everything painted but it gives you a look anyway!

Pro-Scapes
04-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Man this has to be one more time I love living in the country. We built a 70 x 30 pole barn for equipment then also have another 40 x 40 for misc. stuff. No zoning needed just call up some friends and throw a cook out or boil up some crawfish. We put it up in about 3 days and another day to run the electric. Concrete will go in before long (just gravel for now). Total price was around 4000 I think. 16 ft ceilings. This probably wouldn't work for the yankees on here but down south where its warm its the way to go.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-25-2005, 02:19 PM
call local code officers and see if u can build that big dont tell them what u gonna do in it
as long as u can fit all your stuff in it most dont care

Shawns Lawns
04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
a neighbor of mine got permission from the city to build a huge garage. After the foundation was poured and the structure was erected and roof on the city realized they made a mistake and told him he was to close the road. The city gave him a few choiced he could move the whole structure ( which is not possible) or pay the $4000 FINE for building to close to the road. The city put a hold on his building, he is not able to continue building and cannot sell the property till the fine is paid off. They thought of sueing but it was going to cost them more than the fine was. I think its totally ridiculous but unless you have disposable income you usually will not win against the city. :angry:

br549oicu8
04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Sorry Mr. DustyCedar but I disagree. Easier to ask permission than forgiveness.