PDA

View Full Version : Customer not happy with mulch?

lasher66
04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi,
I have a customer (well now ex-customer) that wanted a mulch job done on the front beds of her house. She told me that she didnt want anthing with big chips in the mulch because the color fades fast. She also said she didnt want mulch in the bags because someone told her there were lots of bugs in them. I told her that I can get her a triple processed mulch that I use pretty often and it is really shredded looking. She told me just to use my judgement because she wont be home. Anyways I go to the local mulch place that makes there mulch from all the residents and commercial drop-offs of sticks, leaves and grass. Well, I finish the job and I think it looks great. She calls me later and said she cannot believe how bad the mulch smells and it looks like dirt instead of mulch, and then she said she would no longer need my service and hung up on me. Oh, plus she already hired someone else to come out and put another kind of mulch over it to cover up the smell. Do I still bill her the full bill? I offered to show her the mulch first and she said dont worry about it. I use this mulch on my own house and I think it looks great. It does have a freshly made mulch smell, but it goes away after a few days. To sum this up she is a PITA. What would you guys do?

Lasher

Gilla Gorilla
04-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Bill her dumb azz for the whole amount. It is not your fault, she told you to use your judgement and you did as she said. If you use it at your own house then it must be pretty decent.

Bottom line is collect the WHOLE amount of the bill from her and smile as you are walking away knowing that you have made a spot in you schedule for a customer that will appreciate your work and NOT be a PITA.

Good luck collecting

stumper1620
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Bill her dumb azz for the whole amount. It is not your fault, she told you to use your judgement and you did as she said. If you use it at your own house then it must be pretty decent.

Bottom line is collect the WHOLE amount of the bill from her and smile as you are walking away knowing that you have made a spot in you schedule for a customer that will appreciate your work and NOT be a PITA.

Good luck collecting

I agree bill full billing, or go repossess it!
rake off the new, fork out yours and leave the mess.
why give her a free base.
ok, maybe resrpead the other mulch, bad for the reputation to leave the mess.

Toy2
04-24-2005, 10:20 PM
I got in the habit of bagging all the mulch I use, meaning i have small amounts of mulch, labeled with the name and placed in small zip lock bags....give it to the customer and let them keep the "samples"...they let me know which one and I go from there, works so far.....

stumper1620
04-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I got in the habit of bagging all the mulch I use, meaning i have small amounts of mulch, labeled with the name and placed in small zip lock bags....give it to the customer and let them keep the "samples"...they let me know which one and I go from there, works so far.....
I like that idea, think I'll try it. :D

ChadA
04-24-2005, 10:24 PM

Thats a pretty good idea Martinez. It's true what they say, you learn something new everyday.

sheshovel
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Yes you can always get in trouble with "use your own judgment" calls I also use samples to show my cust's first.I would think that the mulch you used would have a better chance of bugs in it than anything else.You did the work as agreed and you should be paid in full .Remind her that she gave you free hand to use the mulch you wanted and that the smell will go away in a few days.Personaly,I never put a mulch that had any kind of smell in it on a custs yard.That's just asking for trouble.Unless it smells like bark.

pjslawncare/landscap
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree bill full billing, or go repossess it!
rake off the new, fork out yours and leave the mess.
why give her a free base.
ok, maybe resrpead the other mulch, bad for the reputation to leave the mess.

I disgree with any further labor involved in reposessing it. His job is done, time to collect

stumper1620
04-24-2005, 11:26 PM
I disgree with any further labor involved in reposessing it. His job is done, time to collect
I agree,
But if collecting fails he does have the right to go reposses what he rightfully owns. I would think he still has a reciept to prove that along with a unpaid bill.
then again a lien works too.
I just have a feeling she will not be to willing to pay.

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-24-2005, 11:33 PM
get half up front next time........

Derek

Popper357
04-24-2005, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't play around with someone like this. If she says she's not paying, send a lein letter and call an attorney for advice. Never let people screw you

I wouldn't go back and repossess, already lost money on the job.

grassmanvt
04-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Just curious, what did the mulch smell like? I have never had a mulch that didn't smell at least a little. Its bark for crying out loud! What kind of mulch was it? Actually, isn't one of the reasons that cedar is so popular becaause it has a natural odor that deters insects (like a cedar chest)? Also, I agree with the others, don't be afraid to charge. She requested the job, sounds like you followed her guidelines to the best of your ability. If you sold her a dog and it smelt like a dog and she didn't like it would you give a refund? O.k., maybe not the best of analigies but you get what I'm saying.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-25-2005, 01:24 AM
A picture of the mulch would be good for us but I'm pretty sure I know the type you are reffering to. Very natural, stringy almost look to it? Kinda has an earthy smell to it?

I don't use much of it, the town does. It doesn't have a manufactured smell like some of the died mulch does and it does a better job decomposing and adding to the flowerbeds then the larger "stick" like mulches.

lasher66
04-25-2005, 10:25 AM
I currently dont have a picture, but they make it with a blend of compost in it. So I believe that is where the smell is coming from. Like mentioned before, its like a earthy smell though. Thanks for the input.

Lasher

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-25-2005, 12:06 PM
It's more of a useful mulch then a dyed pretty mulch some ppl like.

ChadA
04-28-2005, 01:23 AM
get half up front next time........

Derek

I second that. For any job where I have to buy supplies (mulch, sod, rocks) I always require half up front and make them sign a contract. Never do any work without a contract. Just in case they try to screw you.

nocutting
04-28-2005, 02:02 AM
You did the job, Get paid for your work, next time give them the samples, hope you had any signed contract for working for her this season?

sildoc
05-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Miscomunication. She was thinking bark nuggets you were thinking fine mulch. Baggies work well lets you know what they are thinking. Also allows you to upsell instead of settling on a low grade mulch. Mulch always smells so does bark at least for a few days and sometimes longer.
Bill her full amount and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

jbell113
05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I would bill her and try to reason with her about using your judgement ......then if she says she wont pay ...tell her that you have no choice but to repossess what is rightfully yours. But wait till her new mulch is installed.

surfisher211
05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
hell yea bill her azz then drive past her house in the middle of the night with some roundup :waving:

Markf
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Boy o Boy. I agree with you guys 100%. We carry large zip lock bags of each type of mulch. (Remember to keep them out of the sun, otherwise they will fade). The aroma when you open the bag, especially of cedar is great. We also collect 1/2 or the cost of the mulch (material cost) up front. If they decided they think they are going to stiff us, we have no out of pocket costs.
Also, on the contract, if one is used, have them sign off on their choice. Just like laying pavers.

dvmcmrhp52
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Exactly.

Lasher66,
In my opinion the customer has a right to be annoyed.........what you put on her beds was not decorative mulch such as is used for landscaped beds. You used a compost from the local compost pile and called it mulch..................And yes, it does stink because it has to be an active compost and reach a certain core temperature to kill the weed seeds and such before it can be released to the public.

I would not be happy either................Just my opinion.