PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Retaining wall problem

CuLayTur
04-25-2005, 01:12 AM
A customer has asked us to construct a block retaining wall (was able to talk him out of a timber wall)around a new garage they had built... Simple enough, but there is one problem for this simple wall construction(nothing is ever simple). If you look at the photo attached, this one side of the garage has about a INCH of soil on top of the footing french drain system.How would some of you solve this problem? Also the gravel that is shown in the photo is a drivewall with a neighbors home on the right side(out of the picture)

Thanks for you time,
Curt

CuLayTur
04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I forgot to add some important information, we are using a Keystone Legacy block and the wall is secheduled to be 28" to 30" tall along that wall with about 4 or 5 steps to bring it down to the correct height for the back wall. The homeowner is trying to maximize driveway space, but I think they might have to give some of that space up, to go beyond the french drain to acutal soil.. Could a wall like this be built directly on the french drain rock, since the rock is all ready at full compaction?

Curt

mole
04-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Is that a crack in the foundation or just some kind of wire?. if thats a crack that would need to be addressed

CuLayTur
04-25-2005, 11:36 AM
That's the ground wire for the electrical service. That would be placed behind the blocks.

Curt

mbella
04-25-2005, 10:52 PM
I don't see a problem. Use 3/4" inch clean stone for you base aggregate. Here it is called 2B.

CuLayTur
04-25-2005, 11:57 PM
So were the blue line on this modified pictureis, I should add the 3/4" rock? The drain rock that is currently there is exactly that, with landscape fabric over the top of it.. Just install the compacted base? Also there is about a 1foot grade change from the front to the rear of the build, (doesn't show too well in the picture).

Thanks,
Curt