PDA

View Full Version : Shade area for trees

scraper69
04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
WHat type of taller ornamental tree would you put in a location with mostly shade.. early morning sun only. Customer wants a weeping cherry or mulberry. what would you use.?? oh said last tree previous homeonwner put in died. Was a weeping cherry, 1yr old. or so. I noticed the hole and didnt look properly dug / installed

treedoc1
04-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Redbud or dogwood for filtered sun/shade

gil
04-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Scraper69, is that location where you want to put the tree very humid?. What kind of irrigation do they use?
Treedoc1, what about Magnolia? certainly it will not show the flowers as it fullest but i think that can be a good tree for that location

Grassmechanic
04-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Amelanchier arborea will take shade. Also, as mentioned, some Magnolia species. Or, think "understory trees" - they will do fine also.

nocutting
04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
"Morning All", all those sound like good choices, but was the tree that died a "Home Depot" tree, 1 yr old?...........Food for thought? :)

scraper69
04-26-2005, 04:57 PM
not too sure if was a HD tree or what, but i really dont want to risk a mulberry or cherry dying in the same spot. they really want one though...
i think i will push the dogwood. variety?? unknown

Guthrie&Co
04-26-2005, 06:34 PM
i would use acer palmatum dissectum 'waterfall'

Garth
04-26-2005, 07:06 PM
I agree with scaby...Acer palmatum. My favourite is "Bloodgood". Cornus was also a very good suggestion. Cercis canadensis will tolerate shade but I've found they are much happier in mostly sunny locations. Halesia and Arbutus unedo do well in shade as well. Of course, there are alot of large shrubs that can be trained into small trees....

scraper69
04-27-2005, 05:28 AM
What about dogwood.? i also like bloodgood maples

gil
04-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Make sure to do a soil test. you may find what caused the other tree to die.

Garth
04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
What about dogwood.? i also like bloodgood maples
Cornus is dogwood. There are alot of varieties so I used the all-encompassing genus. :)
What gil said makes alot of sense. I had a friend that bought a large ranch in the mountains. Every tree he planted died in a few months. After looking at the remains of the last one I told him it looked like juglone poisoning. He asked what that was and I told him about how walnut trees put this chemical into the ground. He then told me that the whole place was a walnut grove years ago and I was able to make suggestions using juglone resistant plants.

Guthrie&Co
04-27-2005, 07:19 PM
if root rot was the case in killing the tree good luck with planting anything else in there. you will either have to treat the soil or change it out.

scraper69
04-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Why would it have been root rot? too shady?

I agree and will test soil. I really think the last tree was planted improperly and probably was a low quality. but to be safe, i will check soil and carefully select tree. It makes you nervous when the customer says, "the last two trees here died> woahh well then... i must be cautious

Guthrie&Co
04-28-2005, 11:23 PM
root rot usually come from wet roots. the best way to prevent it is good drainage. it is a disease that get in the soild from it being wet all the time. it is extremley hard to get rid of. you can tell by pulling up the old shrub and if the root ball is wet and hardly has any roots.

Guthrie&Co
04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
It makes you nervous when the customer says, "the last two trees here died> woahh well then... i must be cautious
the more i hear the more it sounds like root rot. i have seen tree farmers get rot in the field and it takes years to get rid of it. i am talking 10 plus years. but you can treat it to rid yourself of the problem or just change out the soil.