PDA

View Full Version : Leveling the base and base course on retaining walls

Popper357
04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
What's a good method for leveling the base and base course of retaining walls using seg blocks? I interned on a job and we layed rock and buckshot gravel, then compacted it and roughly leveled it with a 4' level, then layed and leveled each block side to side and front to back. Used the 4' level to check out how they compared.

Worked great, I thought. Was time consuming though. Is there any way to level the buckshot gravel after compacting so that it's perfect and ready for laying blocks? I can't think of anything right now. I've never used any laser equipment, do those work?

I bet we spent eight man hours laying the base course with versa lock, 45ft. long. Probably faster next time. Would be nice to see what others think. (I think, LOL)

Rex Mann
04-26-2005, 09:52 PM
We shoot elevations.
Put in grade stakes
Excavate our trench
Install our aggregate base material using string lines and or laser level
Compact our base material
Check with the laser
Mix 1-part portland cement to 5-parts concrete sand
Screed this mixture on top of your compacted base just as if laying pavers
Start laying your units

The sand cement mixture, drymix, will make it much easier and faster laying down that first course. If you work where there is high humidity, then mother nature will harden the drymix over night. However, here in Phoenix with very low humidity, we have to sprinkle a little water on it.

BTW: we have never had any call backs or failures using this method.

Peace,

ArizonaPavers.Com (http://arizonaPavers.com)

neversatisfiedj
04-27-2005, 08:05 AM
I just get my crusher run as level as I can then screed a thin layer of sand over base to get level, check with torpedo level on each block.

aries
04-30-2005, 08:54 AM
I use a thin layer of stone dust on top of the crush stone to level it out pack's better than just using sand and wont wash out as easy!

kootoomootoo
04-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Same as above.....use fines.