PDA

View Full Version : Who likes to use red mulch, why?

Popper357
04-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Trying to figure out why some people like red mulch and others don't. I have red lava rocks around my house and think they look good. It's a funny issue though because that is the only red thing on my property. I think it looks ok, but not great. I'm thinking about pulling it up and placing some regular mulch down.

I had a customer call for a bid. They had 8 yards of red mulch on thier property installed last year and don't like the color anymore. Want it covered with regular mulch. It's got me thinking about why to use red mulch. I know that if someone likes it, then they should use it. But from a total landscape design plan, why would someone use red mulch? Would it be because of evergreen trees that drop red needles? Or a house with red brick or other red materials?

Both my home and the customers have no red materials anywhere, other than the red lava rock and mulch. I'm going to start asking visitors if they like the red lava rocks. Anyone have a helpful perspective here?

JB Landscape
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Red Mulch is ugly. It does not look natural at all. Using red mulch or red rocks against a red brick house would look bad.

jt5019
04-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Some of my commercial accounts request the red mulch.They think it brightens up the area and is more inviting?I let them know it fades pretty quickly and will look like crap but they dont listen.For residentials i tell them i prefer to use the brown mulch and explain why, they usually listen.Some of the brown mulch around here is pretty crappy too so i try to keep samples with me so they can choose which they prefer.The brown spruce mulch is popular this year for me

KINGjosh
04-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I dont know, but for some reason down here red mulch is KING. They love it, and its pretty cheap for me to get. I think it looks nasty and unatural. I like rocks myself!

YardPro
04-26-2005, 07:28 PM
i think the only place it belongs is at burger kings, etc..

Freshcut Lawn Care
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
We used it once at a home last year and it really brought the flower bed to life.

Maybe is depends on the colour of brick and the type of plants/shrubs in the bed. We did receive a lot of compliments about it!

Maybe it was because we had to go in a pull 1700 weeds???

In any case, I think it turned out pretty good! :cool:

Freshcut Lawn Care
04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
I tried to attach a picture...but I haven't got a clue on how to do it!

I used the manage attachments!

Can someone help me out? :p

Thanks Guys/Gals!

1MajorTom
04-26-2005, 07:50 PM
I tried to attach a picture...but I haven't got a clue on how to do it!

I used the manage attachments!

Can someone help me out? :p

Thanks Guys/Gals!

Here are the basics steps.

1. Left click on Post Reply,
2. Type a message or short note in the "Your Reply" area,
3. Below the reply box you will see the area: "attach files", below it will say "manage attachements"
Click that, then click browse which will open your computer

4. Find the file/picture on your hard drive you want to post on LawnSite.
5. Double click or left click to select the file/picture, then click upload
6. You can then check your spelling or Submit your Reply.
If you picture is within the parameters of LawnSite.com 800 x 600, your picture will be posted, if not you will get a message that your picture is too large.

If you get the message that your picture is too large you will have to resize the image. You must have a software program that allows you to edit/manipulate images.

1MajorTom
04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
i think the only place it belongs is at burger kings, etc..
Agreed, and I actually think it looks decent at Mcdonalds, etc. Brown mulch just wouldn't make the place stand out the same way which I'm sure is what they want.
The only time we use red mulch is if the customer can't be swayed into using the dyed chocolate mulch.

wojo23323
04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
We only use it at Burger Kings.

Freshcut Lawn Care
04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I did try that Jodi..I guess the picture is too big after all!

Apparently, I missed the message!

Thanks for the heads up! :waving:

Adamma Landscape Group
04-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Red mulch makes white and (red) brick colored houses come alive.

Freshcut Lawn Care
04-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Jodi...Is there a way to reduce the size of the picture, so I can attach it?

Thanks

Gerry

grasswhacker
04-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Actually, Pine bark mulch looks better than both red mulch and hardwood mulch. More benificial to the soil also.

1MajorTom
04-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Jodi...Is there a way to reduce the size of the picture, so I can attach it?

Thanks

Gerry
You need to have an editing software program. I use dell picture studio, you can use paint, etc.
If you don't, you can send it to me, and I'll reduce it for you at Probably29@yahoo.com

leeslawncare
04-26-2005, 10:31 PM
I've been selling the hell outa it .Layed more of it this year than ever!5to1.I have it at my home .It accents our home we have white brick baige siding an red shuttures whith Bright green grass . Don;t have time to show pictures but it does look good . As far as my clients they love it also.

Envision
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Popper,

I think that red mulch is on a downslide in KC. It seems to be appearing less and less, however I did install 4 yards of it today. I pulled out red lava rocks and placed red mulch as the customer was tired of the rocks. I personally prefer dark colored mulch.....

I would guess that the popularity of red mulch has to do with the area that the contrator is in.

Groundcover Solutions
04-27-2005, 01:06 PM
The only place I have used it at and thought it looked realy good was at the Joe Luis Arena hear in Detroit. It is the home of the RED wings and it went along vary well with the other landscaping and signage in the area. I have put it down a few other times but we hate working with it. if it is wet at all when we pick it up it will stain everything in sight. So when we are blowing against a light colored building we have to place card board on the wall as we go to keep it from staingin the building red.

nelbuts
04-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Well all I can say is if the red mulch is not treated then watch out. Most of it is ground up pallets and such. Four years ago I had to put down two semi trailer loads and I would find wire, nails, plastic and all sorts of crap. Then there is the termite problem. If you put it up next to a house it will be like a snack before the main meal.

They do sell cypress and the treated in red but it is more money. I never could figure out why the dark brown did not sell around here but red is king.

Kate Butler
04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Red mulch?? It doesn't "go" with anything, clashes hideously with most flower plantings, and the dye comes off on skin and clothes. Unless your house is the identical color (also kinda stange) red mulch doesn't give anyone viewing it the impression of a classy landscape. Mulch is not supposed to be the color of pickled sausage, it's supposed to mimic the appearance of soil.