PDA

View Full Version : Prices for a lawn...horrible!

ff279
04-27-2005, 07:47 AM
I went todo an estimate today for an average sized yard, gave her an estimate of $35.00 per week. Do you know what she told me, " well my neighbor only pays $15.00 per week!!!!!! that is crazy, she said to mow once with the price I gave her and if she dident like the quality she told me to lower the price or she will get someone else............should i take it and lower the price, or keep on walkin?

Thanks,
Ryan payup

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-27-2005, 07:51 AM
walk away......she is a price shopper......and possibly a PITA

I don't think she is really concerned with quality....

If she wanted $15 a cut then why didn't she get the guy the neigbors use???

Don't lower your price. I have one customer that I do for $16 and it is just his front lawn.....it takes me 5-6 minutes tops to trim, mow, blow and go.....

Derek

procut
04-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Walk away.

AL Inc
04-27-2005, 08:01 AM
More and more, I believe people lie and make up stories about "what the other guy charges" Stick to your price and consider yourself lucky that you don't have to work for these people if you don't want to.

Green Pastures
04-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Smile.

Say, "Here is a written copy of my estimate.", hand her the piece of paper.

Say "Thank you for the opportunity to give you a price for my services and please call me should you require professional services. Have a nice day Miss."

Walk away.

twins_lawn_care
04-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I agree. I am starting to believe people will try to say anything to bring down your price. So and so offered to cut it for $10 less.
I would leave your written estimate with her, to show you are professional, and not out bargain shopping for customers.
If she signs on for your price, you lost nothing. If you lower your price, you have just started a viscous cycle with her, as she'll try it on everything you try and upsell her!

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Dont walk away, RUN AWAY. Never lower your price. Hand them the estimate and politely tell them to have a nice day. I got one of these lowballers really screwing me and other LCOs in my area right now. $10 a lawn. I gave 4 estimates yesterday and 2 of them had already been had by this scrub. One was an estimate for an $18 lawn, 15 minutes tops. I have an estimate already for $10. I said maam, who is this company? They never tell. Either this company doesnt exist and they just made it up to get a lower price or they are just not devuldging the name to protect this company or something.

pagefault
04-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Dont walk away, RUN AWAY.

I agree. Otherwise you are letting them know that your time has little or no value and they will use every opportunity to take advantage of you.

SWD
04-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Several ways to differentiate your company from these others are:
-commercial insurance
-workers compensation insurance
-uniformed crew
-appropriate licenses
-professional equipment
-references
-skill set of you and your employees
Whenever I get a price shopper, which isn't often anymore, I trot out these differences.
Doesn't take a lot of time.
I will not adjust my pricing structure despite what a potential customer has been quoted by "another company".
I will not waste my time trying to convince a potential customer of the merits of being protected by a company that has the licenses and insurances subject to criminal and civil remedies. I mention all of this once, takes all of two minutes and if they balk-I'm gone.
Right now I am backed up to the end of June with new work not to mention routine contract maintenance.
Stick to your price structure-as long as you can back up what you say.
The danger a start up or low volume company faces is adjusting prices down in an idea of getting started. That is a dangerous precedent as once people start comparing costs, and they do - how are you going to raise prices to what your costs actually are?
The answer is you realistically can't while maintaining your existing client base.
So - stick to your price structure and build your business accordingly.

jim dailey
04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I agree. Otherwise you are letting them know that your time has little or no value and they will use every opportunity to take advantage of you.

Ask her if when she goes food shopping, does she TELL the store HOW MUCH she is going to pay for her food. How about her mortgage, her electric bill. Stick to your estimate. It won't be long...she is gone...and has been replaced with someone else. You will be much happier, then.

out4now
04-27-2005, 10:08 AM
RUN Forrest ... RUN!

ff279
04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Well I left her an estimate sheet with the price said thank you, just five mins ago she called me up, and she said " Write up a contract you have my business, along with the neighbor who paid $15.00 for a crpay service...

who said you cant hit two birds with one stone??

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

nocutting
04-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi, call the lady back and get the "Other Guys" #, maybe he can cut all your lawns for you! and you'll make a hell of a profit not even takin your equipment out ? :cool2:

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Now aren't you glad you didn't fold.......

the mysterious $15 guy must have full schedule........

Derek

jim dailey
04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Well I left her an estimate sheet with the price said thank you, just five mins ago she called me up, and she said " Write up a contract you have my business, along with the neighbor who paid $15.00 for a crpay service...

who said you cant hit two birds with one stone??

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Imagine that: There is some truth in the saying: "Honesty is the best policy."

Kickin Your Grass
04-27-2005, 01:47 PM
I went todo an estimate today for an average sized yard, gave her an estimate of $35.00 per week. Do you know what she told me, " well my neighbor only pays $15.00 per week!!!!!! that is crazy, she said to mow once with the price I gave her and if she dident like the quality she told me to lower the price or she will get someone else............should i take it and lower the price, or keep on walkin?

Thanks,
Ryan payup

I had a customer that praises my work every week cancel on me yesterday.
Guess why?

19.00 per week savings on lawn.............

I have been taken care of her lawn 44.00 per week

and some guy became behind me and told her 25.00...

She told me that she would call me back if he didnt do a good job. I told her not to bother calling me back.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
I had a customer that praises my work every week cancel on me yesterday.
Guess why?

19.00 per week savings on lawn.............

I have been taken care of her lawn 44.00 per week

and some guy became behind me and told her 25.00...

She told me that she would call me back if he didnt do a good job. I told her not to bother calling me back.

Allen, I know that feeling, but at least she told you the truth instead of telling you that all of a sudden your work was lousy like mine did. I had rather be told about the price than my work insulted.

bowhunter1432
04-27-2005, 05:02 PM
stick to your price never go lower! :waving:

lawnandplow42
04-27-2005, 05:19 PM
i bet shes lying about the 15 dollars and trying to get you to lower.
Walk away from that PITA

Texas Mowem
04-28-2005, 06:40 AM
.....................She told me that she would call me back if he didnt do a good job. I told her not to bother calling me back.

I like that answer

tinman
04-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Bounce........willl do no good explaining why your costs are certain numbers. She could care less , she is just looking 4 a cheap price. She's not gonna change because you compare it to gas prices or grocery prices, etc.

Had a guy stop me 2 weeks ago & ask 1. how much to cut a lawn like this?

2. How much for XX square feet with 4 trees & house to trim around & edging

3. After I say I need to look at it he finally gives me an address & i say I'll look at it later that day.

1 hour later he leaves me a voice mail saying, "me & my wife discussed it & we think we better hold off on the estimate now".

All he wanted was for me to say I do yards for "$10 - $15" & he would have said go ahead & put us on schedule. When I did not he lost interest. Price shoppers are a waste of time. I do not go to BMW dealerships & waste their time because I know I can not afford one. If these people can not afford or do not want to let go of a decent amount of money for me to sweat in their yard, they should not waste my time.