PDA

View Full Version : Is it bragging, or simply talking about what you do?

lawnranger44
04-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I am a very excitable person and find myself talking about my lawn business alot. I try to stop myself but when I am talking to someone who is especially close to me I like to share some of my ideas with them.

My ex-gf has always gone crazy when I talk about my business. For some reason I think she thinks I am bragging. I never talk about how much money I'm making, I talk about customers and different advertising methods.

What do you guys think? Is it OK to talk about your business to other people in a non-bragging way? Or do you think most people would get jealous?

Personally I don't see any reason for someone to be jealous, I mean its they're own fault that they aren't in business for themselves!

marko
04-27-2005, 11:42 AM
It's good to know that you are excited about what you do, and to hear opinions from others (especially on the consumer side), but there is a point where you will loose interest. Just like when your ex starts talking about something boring in your mind.

MOW ED
04-28-2005, 05:51 AM
My ex-gf has always gone crazy when I talk about my business. For some reason I think she thinks I am bragging. I never talk about how much money I'm making, I talk about customers and different advertising methods.

What do you guys think?

I think thats a good reason to keep her your EX! What you do is your passion and you should be excited about it. Look at the opposite end. Oh I hate my job and I don't want to talk about it. Not good in the service industry. You are responsible for making the cash and talking about what you do is a form of advertising. Keep doing what you are doing. BTW, eventually you will find a lady who is as passionate about what you do as you are. Leave the others to wallow in their own misery.

Charles
04-28-2005, 06:38 AM
One thing you got to remember about most women/GF/wives. They are the most happiest when you are suffering. So you got to throw in the bad parts of your business on a regular basis along with the good :rolleyes: Most women think they got and still are getting the short changed in a (what they say) is a male dominated world.
Not you Jodi :waving:

qps
04-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I am a very excitable person and find myself talking about my lawn business alot. I try to stop myself but when I am talking to someone who is especially close to me I like to share some of my ideas with them.

What do you guys think? Is it OK to talk about your business to other people in a non-bragging way? Or do you think most people would get jealous?

Personally I don't see any reason for someone to be jealous, I mean its they're own fault that they aren't in business for themselves!

Other people don't want to hear about how "happy" or successfull your doing, it justs makes them realize how under achievers they are...Never talk about money to family or friends....all of a sudden your the rich one in the family..even though your not....just my opinion

Trevors Lawn Care
04-28-2005, 06:07 PM
For some reason I think she thinks I am bragging.

The problem is you THINK she THINKS you are bragging. Instead of guessing what she is thinking, ask her.

Trevor

cutnitclose
04-28-2005, 06:10 PM
One thing you got to remember about most women/GF/wives. They are the most happiest when you are suffering. So you got to throw in the bad parts of your business on a regular basis along with the good :rolleyes: Most women think they got and still are getting the short changed in a (what they say) is a male dominated world.
Not you Jodi :waving:

LMAO!!! I couldn't have said it better myslef

Charles
04-28-2005, 06:20 PM
LOL ya, they really dont want to hear how much per hour more you make than they make. They think its all profit and that you riding around on the mower having a good ol time. Then you get winter off and that really kills them. I dont know what it is but a woman hates to see a man relaxing and/or napping in the day time

qps
04-28-2005, 06:50 PM
LOL ya, they really dont want to hear how much per hour more you make than they make. They think its all profit and that you riding around on the mower having a good ol time. Then you get winter off and that really kills them. I dont know what it is but a woman hates to see a man relaxing and/or napping in the day time

You ain't lying brother, my wife thinks I can do anything I want all day long....with 6 employees...yeah right...winters...oh my god..... :)

lawnranger44
04-28-2005, 06:57 PM
One thing you got to remember about most women/GF/wives. They are the most happiest when you are suffering. So you got to throw in the bad parts of your business on a regular basis along with the good Most women think they got and still are getting the short changed in a (what they say) is a male dominated world.
Not you Jodi

Lol thats beautiful.

I'm not just talking about women though. I'm talking about people in general. And, like I said, I never talk about the amount of money I'm making. For example, if I happen to bring up something like "Man I'm pumped! We've gotten 13 responses from our flyers!" Is that wrong? Or are people justified to be annoyed by it?

qps
04-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Lol thats beautiful.

I'm not just talking about women though. I'm talking about people in general. And, like I said, I never talk about the amount of money I'm making. For example, if I happen to bring up something like "Man I'm pumped! We've gotten 13 responses from our flyers!" Is that wrong? Or are people justified to be annoyed by it?

Just be expected to pick up the check :p

bobbygedd
04-28-2005, 07:36 PM
there is nothing wrong with being excited/passionate about what you're doing. this is the most amazing business, after 9 yrs i'm still loving it. most people don't talk about thier job, cus, well, it probly sucks

Mo Green
04-28-2005, 07:37 PM
I used to talk about my business alot to my wife, but she also got to the point where she started to hate it. I think it made her mad that I like the business, because she hates her job.

clc2003
04-29-2005, 04:20 AM

This sounds like a page out of my life story. I have been going around and around with my gf/ex gf. I was doing this part time plus a full time job during the day. Well last July I lost my job and decided to try to go full time. Instead of paying her child support for my son I have been watching him and my step daughter ( her daughter) during the day to save money. The one saving money is her! She was paying over $600 a month on childcare and my support was less than $400. then on top of it I am using more utilites, H20, and of course food for the both of them, and don't forget diapers and wipes :p I mean I would do anything in the world for them and I feel blessed to stay at home with them and go to work when she gets off work, but since money is tight for me she could at least buy me some milk, diapers, etc. Then she also gets pissed when I need to make plans if I get a lanscape job, yardwork, whatever other than mowing, that isn't in my schedule. Oh lets not forget the 3-4 months of nagging this last winter while I was supposed to be doing snow removal. Can live with them can't live without them :dizzy:

Charles
05-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Now none of what I said applies to the women on this forum and the women in this business. Who of course understand completly and probably have the same problems. I said most women--like my sister and my gf lol-- and not all :waving:

moneyman
05-01-2005, 05:55 AM
I dont who you are but Ive met people who constantly talk about crap i have no interest in. Find a person who is interested then start talking not the otherway around.

I love to talk business to someone who's willings to listen not tolerate me.