PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Retaining wall

Laurentian
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I need some installation ideas about building a 25' long by 2.5' High retaining wall from 24" to 30" granite Boulders. I will be using my Toro dingo with a grapple bucket to set the stones and I am compacting a 2' wide pad across the length of the wall. I will add drainage behind the wall and sink the initial course 2/3 below finish grade. Now that being said is that reasonable? And if so How do you keep the boulders in place before setting the backfill? I am not planning on using mortar mix. Dry stack at approximately 45 degrees setback. In addition I do plan on laying a 3oz fabric on the back between undisturbed earth and drainage. Any comments ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

northmichigan
04-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I need some installation ideas about building a 25' long by 2.5' High retaining wall from 24" to 30" granite Boulders. I will be using my Toro dingo with a grapple bucket to set the stones and I am compacting a 2' wide pad across the length of the wall. I will add drainage behind the wall and sink the initial course 2/3 below finish grade. Now that being said is that reasonable? And if so How do you keep the boulders in place before setting the backfill? I am not planning on using mortar mix. Dry stack at approximately 45 degrees setback. In addition I do plan on laying a 3oz fabric on the back between undisturbed earth and drainage. Any comments ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.
sounds good just back fill the wall with crushed stone[9a] and fit the stones together.you mat have to set the top course by hand to take advantage of the gaps between the first course.
happy stonin'

Laurentian
04-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Thanks northmichigan, I really apprecate your advice..

Scag48
04-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Sounds good to me. Maybe a plate compactor would serve good purpose in compacting the ground before you set your base layer of stone. This might sound like a stupid question, but will your Dingo lift the rocks you will be using? 2.5 feet high isn't too bad though, if you were going any higher I'd say to get an excavator to aid with the actual stacking of the stone, but if the Dingo will lift the rock, go for it. Also, if you get frustrated and feel you can't get some rock to "stay" or go in like you want it, just take a break and walk away from it for a while. I just got done building a wall and usually I have quite a bit of patience but sitting on the excavator I almost felt like tearing the whole wall down just because I couldn't get one to fit quite right. Just take your time and don't let anyone tell you how to build it. If the customer comes out and tries to tell you how to build it things will go wrong, I guarantee it. Anyway, just have fun with it.

Laurentian
05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks scag... The dingo will lift the rocks 2 1/2 feet but not much more than that. Also I am prepareing the base the same as any wall by compaction to 95%. You hit the nail on the head though. What to do if they don't fit right? Do you fill the voids with sand and hope for the best? I don't want these boulders "slipping off" and causing a huge liability issue for myself. Thanks for you help.

Nebraska
05-08-2005, 01:26 AM
We rented Dingo's for a number of years then ran across Ramrod.... almost 2x the capacity made it a great choice for us. www.Ramrodequip.com

CuLayTur
05-08-2005, 03:37 AM
If we have rocks that won't fit just right, we usually get the ol' hammer and chisel out and cut the rock just where we need it. The attachment show's an example of how it turned out.

Laurentian
05-09-2005, 10:46 PM
If we have rocks that won't fit just right, we usually get the ol' hammer and chisel out and cut the rock just where we need it. The attachment show's an example of how it turned out.

Nice work. That looks great! I am starting the job about the 2 week of June. I will post pictures of before and after. Thanks for your imput.