PDA

View Full Version : picking up trash, how to mount 5 gallon pail

Up North
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Anyone have a good idea for mounting a 5 gallon pail or something similar on their Z? Last year I'd put it between my legs on the platform above the deck, worked okay as I'd pick up trash with the extended grabber thing. This year I'd like to get the pail off the platform, any ideas? Not a lot to work with I know, but I do know JRCO mounts a lot of things out in front of the Z, think if I fab'd a bracket and bolted it to the front that would work?

I'm all ears.

Buck

Runner
04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
You would want to go with a smaller receptacle. A 5 gal. pail is just too big, and would also obstruct your vision. Look at it this way. (It has always been my experience) that if youu are stopping your mower and picking up litter with a grabber, you are not picking up that much. If you are picking up any more than that, like in high traffic areas (we do), then it is much more time efficient to do a walk around first before mowing. We carry 5 gal. pails and 5 tine pitchforks that are sharpened. Thos allows us to just walk briskly and be able to stab the litter - from cigarette packs to gum wrappers, to hamburger wrappers. Once the fork starts getting a bit full, you stop, plunge the fork down into the bucket while setting it down, step down into the bucket and your foot cleans all the stuff out of the fork. It sounds like alot in words, but it only takes 3 seconds. Then, you're on your way again. Occasionally you'll get a glass bottle or a brick or something, but so what. Anyway, the time taken top do this is MORE than made up by the time it takes to stop the mower, grab the stick, grab the litter, put it in the bucket, put the stick back, and start mowing again. Try it sometime, and you will certainly see what I mean. Now, if there isn't that much litter, and the stops would be that much less, then it would be more feasible to just mow and pick up as you go along. However, as I stated before, you will then not have nearly as much litter, so a bulky 5 gal. pail would just not be necessary. I hope this helps.

jpp
04-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Up North,

Did you guys get any Snow up there today? Anyway I was thinking of drilling a hole in the bottom of the bucket and placing it over the blade spindle and attaching a bungee cord to hold it down. Not sure if this will work but I too am looking for some ideas.

JP

Up North
04-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey Runner,
I agree, doing a quick "once over" the property is generally the best method of collecting trash. I have a restuarant that is horrible for trash, and a bank that has certain areas where trash collects, I do your method of walking those areas and picking up before even unloading.

I've tried a smaller container and my problem is stuff either flys out or bounces out that's why I went back to my 5 gallon pail. Maybe I just need to find a better small container, maybe an actually little trash can with one of those lids that spin around and close as you put stuff in. I bet you're right about the bigger pail hindering vision...not a good idea. Dang, I just remembered...I have a debris/garbage bag that I could probably attach to my armrest or just below and in front of my seat somehow, that would probably work. I'll have to get it and see how it fits up. Normally it goes on the back of the seat then you have to still get off the mower to put anything in it, that's why I quit using it.

Hey JP, it's been snowing off and on ever since Monday... :dizzy: Luckily it's been warm enough (38 for a high today...brrrrr) so it doesn't stick. Let me know how your method works on hooking up a bucket, like Runner said a tad smaller one would work best.

Thanks guys!

Buck

Tonyr
04-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Ahhhh Buck ya big goose.....use ya MOOSE ya dill! lol.

yep, tie the bucket around it's neck or horns or something and have it walk beside you when mowing, or it could walk in front using horns to pick up trash!

geeeeesh!

Well I hope I sorted than one out for ya ol' mate, haa haaa

hope ya been well, been awhile since I saw ya maniac moose around! :waving:

MarcSmith
04-28-2005, 08:03 AM
I had a 52" Exmark Lazer. on the deck there where steel covers over the pulleys. held on with a large hhadn tighted screw going form top to bottom. I purchased a small (3 gallon) trash can, the kind that will hold a plastic grocery bag. I then drilled a hole int he bottom of the can and threaded the hand screw through the can then throught he sheet metal cover . it was off to the side so it did not cause ay problems with forward view and it was on the discharge side so that way I would not hit it getting to close to shrubs...If I had kept the business I would have gotten a steel pail or had a can made up. the Plastic one I had to replace every 2-3 months...The option is to use one of teh mesh basg for a walk beind and hook it under the seat so it lay right in front of the seat by your feet....

freddyc
04-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Use your blower and leave it there.... you're not a janitor. :)

Up North
04-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Ahhhh Buck ya big goose.....use ya MOOSE ya dill! lol.

yep, tie the bucket around it's neck or horns or something and have it walk beside you when mowing, or it could walk in front using horns to pick up trash!

geeeeesh!

Well I hope I sorted than one out for ya ol' mate, haa haaa

hope ya been well, been awhile since I saw ya maniac moose around! :waving:

Hey Mate! Where ya been? My moose scare off that torid Toro again?? :D
Problem with using my moose is the more garbage he eats up the more fertilizer he produces...hey maybe I could charge for fert then huh?

Things have been good Tony, how bout yourself?

Marc, that sounds like a good idea. I tried fitting up my mesh debris bag but I don't think it's going to work too well, have to go with your and Runner's idea and just find a smaller can.

Buck

MarcSmith
04-28-2005, 11:57 AM
I did not like the mesh bag either, but it was better then stuffing trash in my pockets. so then I came up with the small trash can...but plastic wasn;t the best and I think a steel pail or some welded/riveted sheet metal would work better, I just never got around to mocking it up....But I think the plastic grocery bag size is the perfect size and there always seems be jillions of them around...and they are pretty much free...

jpp
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey Runner,
I agree, doing a quick "once over" the property is generally the best method of collecting trash. I have a restuarant that is horrible for trash, and a bank that has certain areas where trash collects, I do your method of walking those areas and picking up before even unloading.

I've tried a smaller container and my problem is stuff either flys out or bounces out that's why I went back to my 5 gallon pail. Maybe I just need to find a better small container, maybe an actually little trash can with one of those lids that spin around and close as you put stuff in. I bet you're right about the bigger pail hindering vision...not a good idea. Dang, I just remembered...I have a debris/garbage bag that I could probably attach to my armrest or just below and in front of my seat somehow, that would probably work. I'll have to get it and see how it fits up. Normally it goes on the back of the seat then you have to still get off the mower to put anything in it, that's why I quit using it.

Hey JP, it's been snowing off and on ever since Monday... :dizzy: Luckily it's been warm enough (38 for a high today...brrrrr) so it doesn't stick. Let me know how your method works on hooking up a bucket, like Runner said a tad smaller one would work best.

Thanks guys!

Buck

Hey Buck,

My idea won't work. I have a 48 inch deck on the ztr and the spindle does not sit out far enough. How is your bag idea going? Did you just put it on the back of the seat again? I definitely do not want to ride around with a bucket between the legs for just a little bit of trash.

JP

Up North
05-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey Buck,

My idea won't work. I have a 48 inch deck on the ztr and the spindle does not sit out far enough. How is your bag idea going? Did you just put it on the back of the seat again? I definitely do not want to ride around with a bucket between the legs for just a little bit of trash.

JP

Hey JP,
Nope, the bag won't work as the back just doesn't fit the armrests well at all, and I tried hanging it off the front of my seat but then the bag covers my controls (key, throttle, etc.) I wish Snapper would have mounted that stuff on the tank, oh well. I was looking at my deck to see if your method would work but even with a 52" deck I don't have enough room for a pail. I did find a smaller bucket that will probably work for me just by sitting on the platform, but now I have to figure out where to hook my grabber...if it's not one thing it's another... :D

Buck

jpp
05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey JP,
Nope, the bag won't work as the back just doesn't fit the armrests well at all, and I tried hanging it off the front of my seat but then the bag covers my controls (key, throttle, etc.) I wish Snapper would have mounted that stuff on the tank, oh well. I was looking at my deck to see if your method would work but even with a 52" deck I don't have enough room for a pail. I did find a smaller bucket that will probably work for me just by sitting on the platform, but now I have to figure out where to hook my grabber...if it's not one thing it's another... :D

Buck

Hey Buck,

I might give the smaller pail idea when it gets warmer here. Been in the 50's the past two days so I have been stuffing the trash in my jacket and then putting it in the 5 gallon bucket in the truck. We had snow,hail, and rain here yesterday. Felt like November to me. Riding on the ztr I should have had my complete carhart outfit on. :p

JP

Up North
05-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey Buck,

I might give the smaller pail idea when it gets warmer here. Been in the 50's the past two days so I have been stuffing the trash in my jacket and then putting it in the 5 gallon bucket in the truck. We had snow,hail, and rain here yesterday. Felt like November to me. Riding on the ztr I should have had my complete carhart outfit on. :p

JP

I hear you. Sunday we had snow coming down so hard you couldn't see 300yds...I'm serious. Today was nice, in the 50's finally. If I would've done any work with the Z last week I would have been fully decked out in my snowmobile gear...minus the helmet. :D

Buck

Lux Lawn
05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
When I worked at the city we put a 5 gallon bucket on the front and strapped it on with a bungee cord.