PDA

View Full Version : stupid phone calls

LawnBrother
04-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Ok, this is the stupidist call I have gotten so far this year:

Caller: "Hello, I got your number from a flyer. My name is Ms. Numbskull and I need some work done in my yard."
Me: "Sure, I would be glad to. What exactly do you need done?"
Caller: "Well, I'm not sure really. I think I just need my deck squared off, do you do that?"
Me: ;) "Um, well, I have several ways to go about it. What size lawn mower do you think I should use on it?"
Caller: "No, no, You don't understand, I don't need my grass cut. I need my deck squared off"
Me: "Ok, then why didn't you call a carpenter??"
Caller: "I just thought...oh never mind. Goodbye."
Me: "GOODBYE."

Man, what is the matter with some people??
What are some of the stupidist calls you guys have had? I'm sure there are some better (worse) ones than this, although I'm still reeling from it....

marko
04-28-2005, 10:26 AM
It seems most of the low price guys advertisements go like this:

You determine your mowing price!!!
Quality work, references, and Insured for your protection!
Mowing, aeration/power raking, seeding, mulch, bush work
snow removal, gutters cleaned, dog poop service, power washing
windows cleaned, holiday lighting, dog walking, pet sitting, brickwork,
patios, walkways, walls, garden soil turning, cleanups, cars washed
oil changes, tree work, pools cleaned, fence repair, ponds, rock work
stone work, lawn rolling, scalping, deck squaring, and deck installations. Call for a free estimate today!!!!!

He probably thought since you mowed, you also did deck work.

A+ Lawncare
04-28-2005, 10:33 AM

stone work, lawn rolling, scalping, deck squaring, and deck installations. Call for a free estimate today!!!!!

A proper LCO is not an jack arse of all trades, but rather a person who focuses in 1 thing to perfection.... we perfect ourselves on grass cutting and landscaping not carpentry. :cool2:

pagefault
04-28-2005, 10:52 AM

Will work for food.

At least these guys actually mean it when they say they will work...

A+ Lawncare
04-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Will work for food.

At least these guys actually mean it when they say they will work...

scrub alcoholic will work for beer :drinkup: whose worried about the green backs payup when all you use the money for beer...

scrub prices, hehe :D

.25 acre- 6pack of miller lite
.50 acre- 12pack of miller lite
.75 acre- 24pack of miller lite
1 acre- 30pack of miller lite

pagefault
04-28-2005, 11:05 AM
scrub alcoholic will work for beer :drinkup: whose worried about the green backs payup when all you use the money for beer...

scrub prices, hehe :D

.25 acre- 6pack of miller lite
.50 acre- 12pack of miller lite
.75 acre- 24pack of miller lite
1 acre- 30pack of miller lite

I'm serious. I don't know if you have actually seen some of these "scrubs". I could sell my two bicycles and buy a better setup than they have. I've known some really poor people in my day, so I have a pretty good idea of how these folks live. If you lived like that and you could barely keep food on the table, you'd do what you had to do too.

When I was picking tobacco, I used to drive by this guy every day on my way to work. He had a sign that said "will work for food" or something along those lines. One day I stopped and offered him a job. $7.50 per hour to start, 10+ hours a day, with evenings and weekend hours available if he wanted to make even more. I was making more than $500 per week, which wasn't too bad for a college kid way back then. He said "No thanks".

So, when I say "At least these guys actually mean it when they say they will work", I'm dead serious.

A+ Lawncare
04-28-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm serious. I don't know if you have actually seen some of these "scrubs". I could sell my two bicycles and buy a better setup than they have. I've known some really poor people in my day, so I have a pretty good idea of how these folks live. If you lived like that and you could barely keep food on the table, you'd do what you had to do too.

When I was picking tobacco, I used to drive by this guy every day on my way to work. He had a sign that said "will work for food" or something along those lines. One day I stopped and offered him a job. $7.50 per hour to start, 10+ hours a day, with evenings and weekend hours available if he wanted to make even more. I was making more than $500 per week, which wasn't too bad for a college kid way back then. He said "No thanks".

So, when I say "At least these guys actually mean it when they say they will work", I'm dead serious.

thats stupid though, for the guy to turn u down if all he wants is food....for 10hr days w/$7.5 you can make $75 a day thats enough for 75 double cheese burgers off the $1 menu @ mc donalds, haha.... thats about $375 a week... and this guy turned you down b/c he wanted to be paid in double cheese burgers, should of just offered him 30 double cheese burgers a week, haha.... that would only cost ya $30 and total out to be around $40 w/tax..... thats about a $1 an hr if he worked 40hrs but you said 10hr days so if you worked 5days a weeks thats 50hrs so it comes out to be $0.80 cents an hr.... this guy sounded to be a real bread winner...haha

better to bring home the green backs and go get the bacon @ foodlion then bring home the bacon from the jobsite :rolleyes:

greywynd
04-28-2005, 12:02 PM
A proper LCO is not an jack arse of all trades, but rather a person who focuses in 1 thing to perfection.... we perfect ourselves on grass cutting and landscaping not carpentry. :cool2:

One thing? is that grass cutting, OR landscaping....that's two things! How do you think the professional landscapers that don't want anything to do with regular mowing feel about you doing their work? To them most of you are scrubs/lowballers/whatever other name you have for them.

marko
04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
One thing? is that grass cutting, OR landscaping....that's two things! How do you think the professional landscapers that don't want anything to do with regular mowing feel about you doing their work? To them most of you are scrubs/lowballers/whatever other name you have for them.

EXACTLY! I know most states have requirements for major landscaping projects (either $ value or whatever). What I dont get is how do these low price, jack of all trades masters of none find the time do do all this crap???? I mow, fertilize, spray, and spread mulch. Pretty compact and specialized if you ask me. Any design work etc gets a referral.

pagefault
04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
thats stupid though, for the guy to turn u down if all he wants is food....for 10hr days w/$7.5 you can make $75 a day thats enough for 75 double cheese burgers off the $1 menu @ mc donalds, haha.... thats about $375 a week... and this guy turned you down b/c he wanted to be paid in double cheese burgers, should of just offered him 30 double cheese burgers a week, haha.... that would only cost ya $30 and total out to be around $40 w/tax..... thats about a $1 an hr if he worked 40hrs but you said 10hr days so if you worked 5days a weeks thats 50hrs so it comes out to be $0.80 cents an hr.... this guy sounded to be a real bread winner...haha

better to bring home the green backs and go get the bacon @ foodlion then bring home the bacon from the jobsite :rolleyes:

They make a lot more begging at a busy intersection. He didn't want food, he wanted money without work. That's why you shouldn't bash the guy with a 21" murray in the back of his K-car. At least he is working.

A+ Lawncare
04-28-2005, 12:32 PM
They make a lot more begging at a busy intersection. He didn't want food, he wanted money without work. That's why you shouldn't bash the guy with a 21" murray in the back of his K-car. At least he is working.

or the teens trying to do their best @ cutting grass & making $$ payup at least their trying their d*mnest instead of slingin rocks or selling grass..... they want an ethical job that they can do besides mc donalds @ $6.5 an hr.

cutting grass is a good job to be in if your carry your business out correctly in a ethenical manner (taxes, ect.).

eitherway, i rather see a scrub cut grass by any means he has to do in order to make money then break into my house or sell crack to my future kids in 2018 :rolleyes:

Appalachian landscape
04-28-2005, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=A+ Lawncare]or the teens trying to do their best @ cutting grass & making $$ payup at least their trying their d*mnest instead of slingin rocks or selling grass... QUOTE]

I slung a few rocks last week. :rolleyes:

Lawn Dog2001
04-28-2005, 11:17 PM

Caller: "Hello, I got your number from a flyer. My name is Ms. Numbskull and I need some work done in my yard."
Caller: "Well, I'm not sure really. I think I just need my deck squared off, do you do that?"
Me: ;) "Um, well, I have several ways to go about it. What size lawn mower do you think I should use on it?"
Caller: "No, no, You don't understand, I don't need my grass cut. I need my deck squared off"

What are some of the stupidist calls you guys have had? I'm sure there are some better (worse) ones than this, although I'm still reeling from it....

Tell her to call me. I have a chainsaw that will square that deck up in a heartbeat!!! :waving:

How in the world did this turn into a scrub post? :sleeping:

BNC SERVICES
04-29-2005, 01:21 AM

so what your saying is im not a proper LCO. I dont think that is a very nice thing to say. I am basicly a jack of all trades, and do alot of very different jobs/trades. so far this year, since spring , i have done two brick patios , a small deck , repaired three trucks for a local company , and am currently doing a $5000(labor only) tile job. after this i have another patio/retaining wall/planting job , then a full kitchen remodel and two 400sq ft decks.

Im not trying to sound kool or anything but i do very nice work no matter what the job is. all my work comes from referalls, no advertising at all, these people have seen my work some where and want me to do what ever they need done.

Does this mean im just a jack a** running around steeling every one elses work cause i do more than one thing. My price isnt always the lowest either. I am a registered company, buiss. insurance for remodeling and landscaping, two trucks and trailers, and about $30,000 in tools and equipment. I also work solo and everything i have is paid for. but from your coment(which really bothers me) im just a scrub.............Bryan

Runner
04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
This is sort of what I was going to get at. To Lawnbrother, what is the name of your business? Is it addreswsed with a "Landscape" or "Landscaping" and lawn maintenance?
For many, decks fall under the realm of landscaping. There are MANY landscapers that build decks along with doing hardscapes and patios. We have done decks in the past on renovations and complete installations. It's all part of the package. We have also subbed out this sort of thing, as well, but I was just using that as an example of my point. It is completely understandable for someone to inquire about deck work with a landscape company.

LawnBrother
04-29-2005, 05:36 PM
The name of my company is Lawn Brothers. My flyer looks very professional and only offers services related to lawn care, no landscaping of any kind. Although I must admit, it never occured to me that carpentry work of that type could be related to landscaping, so I see your point in that respect. I think this lady just figured I was some sort of jack of all trades who would give her a cheaper price than a carpenter. I got a good laugh out of it anyway, I was hoping yall would too!
What I really wanted from this thread was to hear about some more stupid phone calls!!

pagefault
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
My mother-in-law called the other day to invite herself over for a week. That was pretty stupid.

:)

Appalachian landscape
04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
decks, arbors, trellises, and gazebos can all fall under landscaping.

Runner
04-29-2005, 10:34 PM
My mother-in-law called the other day to invite herself over for a week. That was pretty stupid.

:)

Now this sounds like something Bobby would say! LOL
Where's he at,..I'm sure he has a call or two he could share with us! :waving:

fromTEXAS!
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
or the teens trying to do their best @ cutting grass & making $$ payup at least their trying their d*mnest instead of slingin rocks or selling grass..... they want an ethical job that they can do besides mc donalds @ $6.5 an hr.

cutting grass is a good job to be in if your carry your business out correctly in a ethenical manner (taxes, ect.).

eitherway, i rather see a scrub cut grass by any means he has to do in order to make money then break into my house or sell crack to my future kids in 2018 :rolleyes:

in another forum you mentioned you wanted to do this under the table. not paying taxes what gives man?

Eddie B
05-01-2005, 05:59 PM
here's a call for ya

me: "Bailey's Lawn Services this is Ed"
them: "You remember me? I'm a friend of so and so"
me: "yes... how are you doing today?"
them: "great. I need a favor. can you cut my grass for free?"
me: click

1MajorTom
05-01-2005, 08:37 PM
in another forum you mentioned you wanted to do this under the table. not paying taxes what gives man?
One warning and one warning only. Whatever "antics" you have displayed on other forums doesn't concern me. But don't try any of that stuff over here.
If the guy said it on another forum, so be it. Don't mention it here.

clc2003
05-02-2005, 03:00 AM

This didn't come from a phone call, but from a customer who I was trimming up some trees for. Anyway he started asking me what I would charge him to mow his grass and I said, $20 and he said that is what I am paying my guy now but have not heard from him. If he doesn't get ahold of me I will call u. I said OK, sounds good. Then he asks me If I would wax his car for him ;) My truck says Lawn Care on the side of it not automotive detailer :dizzy:

Todd's lawncare
05-02-2005, 04:59 AM
The name of my company is Lawn Brothers. My flyer looks very professional and only offers services related to lawn care, no landscaping of any kind. Although I must admit, it never occured to me that carpentry work of that type could be related to landscaping, so I see your point in that respect. I think this lady just figured I was some sort of jack of all trades who would give her a cheaper price than a carpenter. I got a good laugh out of it anyway, I was hoping yall would too!
What I really wanted from this thread was to hear about some more stupid phone calls!!
You still think it was a stupid call ? Alot of the millon dollar lawn companys do that type of work .

stuie
05-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Hello Floraculture Garden Services
How many pebbles do i need?
Im not sure what area do you need to cover?
Um alot how much can you get?
I can get you a bag or i can get you 100 tonnes
UMMMM i just need enough for two pots
How big are the pots?
Well they are big.....but not too big.......
Well ok a rough guess one to two bags
TWO BAGS!!! HOW MUCH IS THAT??? THE POTS ARE ONLY SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!
Well ok say one bag
How much???????
Well including delivery and placing one bag of pebbles around the pots would be at least $50.
$50 !!!!!!!!! I can buy a bag from the nursery for $15
Well ok i see you have it sorted Goodbye :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Markf
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Gentlemen,
I look at ever request by a client or potential client as a possible lead. I am sure that most of you have contacts in just about every trade. Why not refer that seemingly waste of time request to your friend. Even if you do not get a referral back from them, you may get some work done at home for free. It works for me.
Mark

Texas Mowem
05-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Me: Hello ABC Lawncare
Customer: Hi this is Mrs Doh do you cut grass
Me: Yes we do how can I help you.
Customer: My neighbor needs their grass cut I'm tired of looking at it.
Me: Maybe it would be a good idea for your neighbor to call me
Customer: Well they won't they are too cheap to pay anybody to mow their lawn
Me: Well I don't believe I can mow someone elses property without their permission.
Customer: Well they are not home right now go ahead and come over and cut it.
Me: If I were to do that exactly who would be paying the bill would it be you.
Customer: I'm not gonna pay to have their lawn cut thats crazy.
Me: I agree !
Customer: Just bill them
Me: I thought you said they were too cheap to pay to have their lawn cut.
Customer: Well aren't you rude, never mind

nocutting
05-04-2005, 01:36 AM
About the "HOBO's" w/ the signs, I picked 1 up near a Kmart, it was raining & cold- took him to "Dunkin Donuts" for soup & a bagel. As it turned out he didnt need the work, made enough just "Begging" [ shared a room for $75 bucks aweek], his biggest worry were the other "Bums" robbing him [ he showed me his scars, missing teeth]...He was a Vet, in rehab, & transported from the city to up-state NY to a VA center that wasnt crowded.....He also said if he wanted [ NY state bused these guys to Florida in the winter & gave them 50 bucks for food] that was an incentive to get these guys off our streets & on to yours!!!! :dizzy:

Kasfeldt7
05-11-2005, 12:15 AM
The answering service on my cell phone says, "This is PASTOR Blair, sorry I cant take your call right now....ect."

So I get a message to call this guy for lawn care, and call him back...

ME - Hi Im returning your call for lawn service
JIM - Hi Im going on vacation and would like my lawn mowed, I live at etc.
ME - OK great. When would be a good time for me to look at it?
JIM - Give me your name and address and Ill send you a check in the mail after you mow my lawn. Dont mow it too short.
ME - Im sorry how about I stop by before you go on vacation and I can give you an estimate so you can leave me payment.
JIM - Well if you want to be an ASS about it! I doesnt make a difference to me!
ME - (laughing) well, you'd do the same if you were in my shoes.
JIM - Fine. How about I let someone else do it? How'd you'd like that Blair?! I'll just give the job to someone else!
ME - Sounds good, rip someone else off. CLICK. :realmad:

Wow - talk about pastors not getting any respect! :angel:

Had to pray for awhile after that phone call to cool down :blush:

mtdman
05-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Scrub complaint: There's a house not too far from me where a sign for lawn care popped up this spring. "Blah Blah lawncare" then underneath it it lists just about every service anyone could offer for your house. Why not chose Handyman and leave it at that?

Crazy call:
I gets this call for a mowing estimate. Guy is taking care of his mother's place, she died over the winter. Says they haven't mowed it yet, and it needs attention soon. Right away that tells me it's overgrown. It's in a neighborhood I'm in, so I take interest. But the guy keeps hinting around at wanting it done asap. I tell him I need to look at it, especially if it's long, before I can give him a price. He keeps hinting around at lot size, etc, trying to get a price outta me. Then I tell him I can't get to it until over the weekend, maybe monday. He wants it done right away. Tells me that if I do a good job, a whole season of mowing might be in it for me. Wow.

I repeat I need to take a look, that I can't do it until later this weekend, and I'll get back to him tomorrow with an estimate. He keeps trying to get a price outta me and to get me to committ to it, so I blow him off and hang up.

Hour later he calls back. Says he's got another lawn dude that can do it tomorrow for $20. Asks if I can beat that, since I'm a regular in the neighborhood, he'd rather give it to me. I tell him that if he got someone to committ to mowing an overgrown lawn for $20 without seeing it in an hour since I last talked to him he should take it. Then I interrupt him, say thanks for the call and hang up. Laughing.

I hope he finds someone that will fall for that over the phone.

tinman
05-11-2005, 11:38 PM
One guy...did a 1 timer on his F'd up yard last year..... Wash his neighbor's house a month or so ago & the wife wanted a quote. Gave one..never heard back.

did another neighbor's lawn a few weeks ago & they wanted a price for their back yard (2 ft high) . Told them to get someone to bushhog it as I did not want to tear up my mower. Or find a nut to mow it ("like me last year" , I told the wife). She said yeah my husband was afraid to mow with his for fear of "hitting something".... OK to let Lawn guy destroy his stuff though.

Anyway someone evidently bushhogged it or mowed it ,,about 3 weeks ago. He calls & leaves a message to call him about the back yard again. Just erased that message. I hate giving prices over & over again. Especially to folks who will not keep their yard or home in shape. I can understand not being able to afford some services...but quit being so lazy & cut your own grass. I'd be ashamed if I let my lawn look like a pasture.

LawnScapes of P-Town
05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
i had a guy call and say

him- i got your flier and i was needing some work done
me- yes sir what type of work do you need done?
him- i have this fence that i want taken out completely, even the concrete posts removed, COMPLETELY
me- well sir i think that you have called the wrong number for this sort of job
him- well on your flier is says storm cleanups?
me- yes but how does that relate to the removal of a fence?
him- uhhhh idk
me- well i might know someone for you to call

so i refered it to a friend and that was the end of that guy

Smalltimer1
05-12-2005, 12:08 AM
did another neighbor's lawn a few weeks ago & they wanted a price for their back yard (2 ft high) . Told them to get someone to bushhog it as I did not want to tear up my mower. Or find a nut to mow it ("like me last year" , I told the wife). She said yeah my husband was afraid to mow with his for fear of "hitting something".... OK to let Lawn guy destroy his stuff though.

Anyway someone evidently bushhogged it or mowed it ,,about 3 weeks ago. He calls & leaves a message to call him about the back yard again. Just erased that message. I hate giving prices over & over again. Especially to folks who will not keep their yard or home in shape. I can understand not being able to afford some services...but quit being so lazy & cut your own grass. I'd be ashamed if I let my lawn look like a pasture.

That would be a case where I'd rent my father's Billy Goat brushcutter and make some quick $$$ and then come back and double my money on the JD to give it a somewhat decent finish.

sheshovel
05-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Well lemmie tell ya something Mr.Marko who are you to say whats neccesary or not to do for a customer and to make a buck?
I'm a Landscaper but when I first started out I did most of those things and more. :D . if that's what my cust needed done I did it wadda ya gonna do let them line somebody elses pockets?
I've ripped out old lawns and installed new ones both sod and seed,
Iv'e :cool2:
rottotilled,pruned,mowed,mulched,cleaned gutters,powerwashed decks,repaired decks,aeriated,did clean-ups and lots of them,Tree work,rolling,walkways and pathways,washed and detailed-out several clients cars and got paid well for it too, :D Iv'e housesat with dogsitting at same time,
SO WHat? :blob3:
Does that make me a scrub?No it makes me much more informed,versatile,and well rounded in my knowlage,it makes me adaptible,and it allowed me to please my clients and get paid when some are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring,or waiting for the weather to change,
I was making money and good money at that.How would you like to stay in a totaly cool million dollar home overlooking a beutifull lake and get to use the jacuzzie,have meals free and feed a tiny dog twice a day,get paid for that :p plus get paid for doing a garden project at the place too while your there?
I mean who's gonna say no to that?A one week stay if you rent a place at that lake goes for $1700.00 to 2000.00
I stayed for free plus GOT paid for it too.

Everybody else?Sitting at home watching it snow and not making a dime.So how stupid do you really think I am??I'm proud to be a Janeof-all trades,though I am exclusive now,it sure never hurt me before.

Smalltimer1
05-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Well lemmie tell ya something Mr.Marko who are you to say whats neccesary or not to do for a customer and to make a buck?
I'm a Landscaper but when I first started out I did most of those things and more. :D . if that's what my cust needed done I did it wadda ya gonna do let them line somebody elses pockets?
rottotilled,pruned,mowed,mulched,cleaned gutters,powerwashed decks,repaired decks,aeriated,did clean-ups and lots of them,Tree work,rolling,walkways and pathways,washed and detailed-out several clients cars and got paid well for it too, :D Iv'e housesat with dogsitting at same time,
Does that make me a scrub?No it makes me much more informed,versatile,and well rounded in my knowlage,it makes me adaptible,and it allowed me to please my clients and get paid when some are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring,or waiting for the weather to change,
I was making money and good money at that.How would you like to stay in a totaly cool million dollar home overlooking a beutifull lake and get to use the jacuzzie,have meals free and feed a tiny dog twice a day,get paid for that :p plus get paid for doing a garden project at the place too while your there?
I mean who's gonna say no to that?A one week stay if you rent a place at that lake goes for $1700.00 to 2000.00

Everybody else?Sitting at home watching it snow and not making a dime.So how stupid do you really think I am??I'm proud to be a Janeof-all trades,though I am exclusive now,it sure never hurt me before.

I agree.....if I know I possess the skills to do a task and the opportunity arises to make money from using them I'm gonna do it. payup

I never think I'm too good for any job, well maybe garbage collection and sewer maintenance. :p

sheshovel
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Yea I draw the line at dog dodo and won't do house cleaning,no windows thankyou

Triple R
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM

Sound like one of those money is no object clients I wish I had more of. What ever they want I will provide, either myself or sub out and bill accordingly best of all they don't ask how much it's always "what ever it is just bill me"

Stupidest phone call I received

me: hello (I ussually don't answer this way)
caller: do you guys mow lawns?
me: yeah
caller: are you hiring right now?
me: no
click

I should mention this call was at 2 a.m.
Should I have hired him?

mtdman
05-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Jack of all trades, master of none. When you do "anything to make a buck" that's exactly what you are doing, making a buck, but not necessarily doing it well. When you do one thing, and do it well, you are making a profession. Would you hire the same guy that mows lawns, builds fences, cleans gutters to do your plumbing? I wouldn't. I'd hire a professional plumber. When trying to bring respectibility and legitimacy to the green industry, it's hard to do so when someone who does anything to make a buck calls himself a green industry professional.

sheshovel
05-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Not true,everything I dofor money,
I do well,or I do it tell I do it well.I am a green industry professional,I do professional Landscaping for a living,
have built my business from nothing with a few tools and my own two hands.I am one of those people who can do MORE THAN ONE THING and do them very well,
when I mowed ,I mowed well and educated myself before I started,I never mowed to the degree alot of you have,but I had some crappy lawns that I turned into great lawns,I can spot a problem and tell you if it's environmental,or disease related.
I can grow a new lawn from seed that will make your neighbors green with envy.I can also install the irrigation system for it,install a timer for it and show you how to work it after I am gone. :cool:
You won't have to hire a drainage professional,a grading professional,an electrician and a irrigation professional to get your lawn installed cuz I do all those things very well. :D
As far as being respected as a professional in my community,I have a list of over 100 satisfied and happy clients on my ref list you can call before you hire me who all consider me very professional. :) So you tell me why a person can only do one thing and do it well?
I used to ride my horses and did that well,trained my dogs and did that well,I drive well. no tickets or accidents in over twenty years.(knock on wood!)
My point is not to sing my own praises but to say that I for one, believe that people can do many things and do them professionaly and very well. :cool2:

mtdman
05-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Not true,everything I dofor money,
I do well,or I do it tell I do it well.I am a green industry professional,I do professional Landscaping for a living,
have built my business from nothing with a few tools and my own two hands.I am one of those people who can do MORE THAN ONE THING and do them very well,
when I mowed ,I mowed well and educated myself before I started,I never mowed to the degree alot of you have,but I had some crappy lawns that I turned into great lawns,I can spot a problem and tell you if it's environmental,or disease related.
I can grow a new lawn from seed that will make your neighbors green with envy.I can also install the irrigation system for it,install a timer for it and show you how to work it after I am gone. :cool:
You won't have to hire a drainage professional,a grading professional,an electrician and a irrigation professional to get your lawn installed cuz I do all those things very well. :D
As far as being respected as a professional in my community,I have a list of over 100 satisfied and happy clients on my ref list you can call before you hire me who all consider me very professional. :) So you tell me why a person can only do one thing and do it well?
I used to ride my horses and did that well,trained my dogs and did that well,I drive well. no tickets or accidents in over twenty years.(knock on wood!)
My point is not to sing my own praises but to say that I for one, believe that people can do many things and do them professionaly and very well. :cool2:

All that stuff is green industry related. That all falls under 1 professional category. I'm not talking about someone who does mowing, irrigation, landscaping, etc all in one. I'm talking about the guy that builds decks, paints and repairs fences, cleans gutters, power washes siding, patches roofs, etc etc etc and then throws in lawn care at the bottom of the list because he's got a push mower in the truck as well. I know many professional painters, carpenters, roofers, builders, etc, and none of them would think to also do lawn mowing. Why is it that so many so-called professional lcos think they can also do all those professions all at once? It's those kind of jacks of all trades that brings the professionals down. IMO.

You seem to be the only one here singing her own praises, btw.

Mueller Landscape Inc
You sound like a great landscape technician.

Triple R
Jack of all trades, master of none. When you do "anything to make a buck" that's exactly what you are doing, making a buck, but not necessarily doing it well. When you do one thing, and do it well, you are making a profession. Would you hire the same guy that mows lawns, builds fences, cleans gutters to do your plumbing? I wouldn't. I'd hire a professional plumber. When trying to bring respectibility and legitimacy to the green industry, it's hard to do so when someone who does anything to make a buck calls himself a green industry professional.

I have , and still would if I had the time, built a privacy lattice fence, installed a paver patio, did brick and mortar steps and quite a bit of other "landscape work". All this work was in the landscape for 1 client, his home is worth well over $1,000,000 and I did charge a premium for my services. It doesn't take much skill to mow a lawn but it does to properly install and manage a landscape. Around here the best and most expensive lanscape company does all construction pertaining to the landscape and also did maintenance until they sold off that division.

mtdman
05-14-2005, 01:13 AM
I have , and still would if I had the time, built a privacy lattice fence, installed a paver patio, did brick and mortar steps and quite a bit of other "landscape work". All this work was in the landscape for 1 client, his home is worth well over $1,000,000 and I did charge a premium for my services. It doesn't take much skill to mow a lawn but it does to properly install and manage a landscape. Around here the best and most expensive lanscape company does all construction pertaining to the landscape and also did maintenance until they sold off that division.

So what's your point? If you are a landscaper, you do landscaping. All that sounds like landscaping to me. Congratulations.

Smalltimer1
05-14-2005, 01:59 AM
All that stuff is green industry related. That all falls under 1 professional category. I'm not talking about someone who does mowing, irrigation, landscaping, etc all in one. I'm talking about the guy that builds decks, paints and repairs fences, cleans gutters, power washes siding, patches roofs, etc etc etc and then throws in lawn care at the bottom of the list because he's got a push mower in the truck as well. I know many professional painters, carpenters, roofers, builders, etc, and none of them would think to also do lawn mowing. Why is it that so many so-called professional lcos think they can also do all those professions all at once? It's those kind of jacks of all trades that brings the professionals down. IMO.

You seem to be the only one here singing her own praises, btw.

Around here all the pro landscapers have a pressure/power washing outfit, usually with a dedicated trailer with a hard mounted tank and 15-18hp gasoline power unit and 150' of line. Personally, I thought they were in the same category to begin with??? ;)

mtdman
05-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Quit nitpicking. The point of the post is clear.

sheshovel
05-14-2005, 03:03 PM
No mtdman I think your the one who's nitpicking,
What is "BTW your the only one here singin your own praises"supposed to mean?
My point was.. in order to become a landscape professional,
I did do all those things to make a buck,and I learned and grew from doing them.

To say-- "Do one thing and do it well" and that's what makes the green industry
"Professional"
and doing anything outside that type of work is "Unprofessional"and "Brings the green industry down" is absurd. :rolleyes:
And that's basicly what the point of the thread was and yes it was very clear to me.

Please don't take offence,I just see things in a different light than you do on this point. :)

sheshovel
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
You sound like a great landscape technician.

Thankyou, I was trying to make a point not brag! :blush: Thanks :D that is if you ment me. ;)

mtdman
05-14-2005, 06:22 PM
In order to be a landscape professional you have to paint, do drywall, build decks, fences, patch roofs, clean gutters, wash windows and siding, and any other meanial task associated with home ownership? I've never heard that one.

My point is, it's tough to make this a professional business when you've got basic handymen that do anything to make a dollar calling themselves lawn care professionals. Why is it this is the only industry that people do that? Do you see professional painters that do all that? Carpenters? Roofers? No, you don't. They are professional painters, roofers, carpenters that just do those professions. Not jacks of all trades that will do anything to make a buck, including pushing a lawn mower. But just because someone who will do any kind of labor has a lawnmower and can cut grass as well, they are an lco? I don't think so. That's what brings down the industry, that's what brings down prices, and that's what keeps people from viewing us as professionals.

To say-- "Do one thing and do it well" and that's what makes the green industry
"Professional"
and doing anything outside that type of work is "Unprofessional"and "Brings the green industry down" is absurd.
And that's basicly what the point of the thread was and yes it was very clear to me.

That's not what I said. What I said was if you are going to be in the green industry and a professional, do green industry related work. Not everything under the sun that you can do for hire.

If you had bothered to pay attention, that's what I was talking about. Not about landscapers that do a variety of green related tasks. Next time pay attention so I don't have to repeat myself.

sheshovel
05-15-2005, 03:40 PM
What I ment by that was the $ I made doing all those things enabled me to build enough capitol to buy my equipment and pay for insurance and get my business off the ground.
I do agree our industry is viewed in a lower light than most,but you are always gonna have those jacks of all trades, it's a historical fact.That's how this nation was built,by people doing all kinds of different things to make a living,and being versatile in their knowledge.I think a person is viewed as a professional if they perform their work professionally no matter what it is.YES there are alot of guys out there that bring the vision you have of LCO's being viewed a professional way way down,but you will never change that.Lawncare professionals will never be viewed in the trade industry like carpenters,plumbers,electricians,the reason why is the little kid down the block and remembering when you mowed the grass for the neighbors for a dollar.

Lux Lawn
05-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I got a call from a guy a few weeks ago wanting an estimate for weekly maintenance...So I go out write up the estimate and put it in his mail box.He calls be a couple days later and says go ahead and get started...But I have one question first do you prefer to use your mower or mine. :dizzy:

N.H.BOY
05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Pretty good thread here. I'll put my two cents in.

My company name---HASKINS HOME MAINTENANCE LLC. Now with that this opens alot of doors and buss. I was building decks and remodeling back a few years ago with the same name and now the past two I have been doing lawn care. I get calls for decks and I try and get the framing down and let my highschooler lay the decking down. easy money and I really enjoy it. Now sometimes after getting to know the customer I end up with the lawn care also. I do this part time and also in the winter with plowing I try and get one or two remodeling jobs. My plan is to do lawn care full time and sub out the deck work to the highschooler who is learning how. In the winter I can do remodeling. I think it is always good to have something to fall back on when times are tough. So with the name HOME MAINTENANCE that realling covers it up. Lawns need maintenance payup payup So I get anykind of phone calls.

RedWolf
05-16-2005, 07:13 AM
The only thing i do other then lawn work is clean roofs,trim bushes,weed and remulch flower beds.I cant see doing a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with lawn work.It doesnt make any sence to me.My friend runs a spray service and he sends me alot of work so im always busy.He does good work so if one of my costomers needs there lawn sprayed i give them his card and tell them to call.They are always happy when me and him get done with there yard.I take my time and do it right.Because its what what the costomer sees that matters.i also get alot of word of mouth work.Ive had to turn alot of it down because im just to busy with what i have now to take on more work