PDA

View Full Version : Older Bunton

Glenn J
04-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Here are some pics of an older Bunton I picked up last week. This will just be used for cutting our lawn, I'm not in the business at all. It's a 48" with a new 12.5hp Briggs. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. I plan on stripping and repainting the deck, replacing a loose throttle control (keeps backing off the engine speed) and getting a few new fasteners here and there.

After work today, I plan on sharpening the blades and hitting all the grease fittings with grease. It came with some type of mulcher blades...Gators? I'm not 100% sure. The guy also gave me two extra sets of regular blades.

This thing cuts a lot better than our Snapper LT16 tractor. The tractor is a beast, but the 32", single blade just cut OK, nothing spectacular. This mower, even with dull blades cuts much better than the tractor. We're still keeping the tractor though. It comes in handly for hauling stuff with the utility trailer.

grassmanvt
04-28-2005, 10:36 AM
I've never run one of the older buntons but just looking at it it looks ahead of tis time. Deep deck, fabricated instead of stamped for strength. Should make a great homeowner mower. I love my bunton ztr's, well built and relatively trouble free.

Petr51488
04-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I think it's time to trade in that Jetta for a truck..

proenterprises
04-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Where in CT are you?

Glenn J
04-28-2005, 04:08 PM
I've never run one of the older buntons but just looking at it it looks ahead of tis time. Deep deck, fabricated instead of stamped for strength. Should make a great homeowner mower. I love my bunton ztr's, well built and relatively trouble free.

It is a very well built machine. Considering it's age and the fact that it was used commercially, it's held up very well.

The Jetta does pretty well towing. I won't be hauling the mower since I just use it at home. I haul around my three wheeler, but the car handles that without an much of an issue.

proenterprises,
I'm located in Wallingford.

mdb landscaping
04-28-2005, 09:08 PM
those old buntons are awesome!!! we have two of them at work. one is an old 52 inch hydro and the other we have is just like yours. both still run great. we have phased them out over time, but they still cut awesome and the boss scooped them up to cut his lake side property. good find!

Glenn J
04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
those old buntons are awesome!!! we have two of them at work. one is an old 52 inch hydro and the other we have is just like yours. both still run great. we have phased them out over time, but they still cut awesome and the boss scooped them up to cut his lake side property. good find!

Cool! Glad to hear they hold up well! Any idea where I can locate a manual for the 48"? Textron says they can't find a model number in their system. I sent them a pic of the ID plate too. :dizzy:

impactlandscaping
05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
That one looks a little older than mine, but I could copy my manual/parts list for you if you can't locate one.

Glenn J
05-02-2005, 11:00 AM
That one looks a little older than mine, but I could copy my manual/parts list for you if you can't locate one.

Cool! Feel free to PM me.

Glenn J
05-31-2005, 09:08 AM
I think I'll keep this thread going as I work on the mower.

A few weeks ago, the engine went. It was a major bummer because the engine was pretty new. Basically, the mummified remains of a mouse were between the cylinder and the cooling ducting. After a few mowings, enough clippings got in there to block the airflow. :realmad:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37513

Backside:
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37514

The problem:
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37515

Glenn J
05-31-2005, 09:10 AM
With a lot of help from restrorob in the repair forum, I ordered a new engine from smallenginewarehouse.com. I had to convert it from an electric start to a recoil which wasn't too bad of a project.

Glenn J
05-31-2005, 09:11 AM
I had to swap a few parts over from the old, to the new:

Glenn J
05-31-2005, 09:12 AM
These are the parts I pulled off the new engine. I'll be e-baying what can to offset the cost of the new engine.

Glenn J
05-31-2005, 09:16 AM
It runs! I did the swap Thursday evening and made one test pass. Friday, I mowed the lawn and it worked just great. I adjusted the throttle a bit and need to get a Tiny Tach in order to get it dialed in 100%. I'll be mowing again this evening.

As you can see, the engine cover has no HP rating on it. According to the website where I bought it, it was sold as 12.5 HP, but was actually a 13.5 hp.

Hopefully, the next time I update thsi thread it will be a lot less dramatic....as in pictures of me repainting the deck. :waving:

Tharrell
05-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Take that cover off the front where the fins are.
Did you mean to say, the new one is electric and you had to convert it to recoil? I hope you didn't do that. I have a 12hp Briggs on my Bob-Cat and it was a snap to get it up and running. Basically I got a 3 position switch from the boneyard and mounted a battery box. I've even seen them with electric and recoil backup. That would be sweet in case the battery dies. Anyway, you got a really good mower there, how much did it cost? How much was that second engine?
That muffler is about $28 and the starter is around $100 or so. I'd keep'em if I were you, along with the coil and flywheel. The boneyard always comes in handy.

Glenn J
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Will that cover removed up front allow for better cooling?

I converted it from a electric, to recoil. The mower is older I'm not sure all the wires are there. I figured it would be a bigger PITA trying to wire the mower up for the electric start.

I paid $550 for the mower. I thought that was a good deal, given the engine was pretty new.

The new engine ran me $399.

I really like this mower a lot. It's not the best looking machine, but it cuts really really well.

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 09:22 AM
It's simple to wire. The hardest part is putting a battery box on it, and that's really not a problem. I'll see if I have a pic of mine for you. You also need a different key switch. I swear, you'de love the electric start. Oh yeah, removing that cover may help it dissipate heat but more importantly you will be able to keep grass from collecting in there and going through this whole situation again. With an open engine like you have, it WILL get in there if you keep it on.

Glenn J
06-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Would recomend removing all the covering around the engine?

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Here's a front view of my mower with the battery box snuggled next to the engine. Just thought I would add, most of the 8-12 hp Briggs have the same bore and stroke. They change the hp with carb and cams. Briggs rep told me that. If you got that mower for $399 with an exhaust on it, you got a deal. I had to buy a new one yesterday for $28. Most don't come with exhaust or a fuel tank. I may need an engine in the future, could you give me some more info on your purchase? Shipping and stuff?

Glenn J
06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Very interesting. Do you have any close ups of that battery mount?

I got my engine from www.smallenginewarehouse.com They offered free shipping with my engine so I only paid $2 to cover the residential delivery fee. If an engine doesn't qualify for free shipping, I think it's around $40-50 for ground service. A signature is required when they deliver.

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I took 3 pics for you, here's the 1st one. The little screw at the top of my oil filler tube is worn and I'll have to install a larger one. That's why the oil is on the engine. It lets the seal at the bottom wiggle. Also, I have a hotwire running to the engine for my chute closer motor. This pic is from the back. I actually bought a battery box and the brackets to mount it for a Bob-cat. They sent me the one with the Bunton paint (notice the different green). Anyway, it was not required. This piece of steel in the shape of a "U" worked better. I probably didn't need the battery box at all, I could have fabricated it myself.

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Here's a side view. It's square and level, my camera hand is not!

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Here's a view from the front. Again, square and level!

Glenn J
06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the pics! I'll have to check and see if mine has holes to mount that set up.

Nconn
06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
That is wierd guys, I just bought a Bobcat walk behind very similar to that bunton a week ago. It also has the 12.5hp Briggs. I'll have to get some pic.for you guys to see how much alike it is.

Glenn J
06-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Sounds interesting. Post pics when you can.

Glenn J
06-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Here's the latest chapter. About two weeks ago, a blade belt let go. I noticed that without the belt tension, the spindle was really really wobbly. So, I ordered three new ones from J-Thomas along with all new pullyes. While I had everything removed, I cleaned up the surface with a die grinder and a wire wheel. I then primed and painted the area to keep the rust from coming back.

Glenn J
06-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Picture number two

Glenn J
06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Picture number three

Glenn J
06-28-2005, 07:12 PM
The end result after mowing:

mkwl
06-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Sounds like you've been spending a lot of money on that old Bunton mower recently between the engine and now the spindles.

Glenn J
06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Yeah, that's the case these days. :realmad:

At least I know just about everything on the mower is new and should last me (as a homeowner) a good long time.

Runner
06-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I have a mower just like that, but it is a 52" I bought it back in '84. Actually it is a John Deere (JD's were built by Bunton for quite a few years). Great machine. The only difference besides the deck, is the front casters I have larger pneumatic caster wheel on the front. It has been a great machine, although I haven't had it running for a few years. It has an electric start Briggs I/C 16 hp horizontal in-line twin. I had two of these machines, but one quite a few years ago.

Glenn J
06-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Since I've practically taken the entire thing apart, I can say that it's a solidly build unit. Aside from some minor surface rust, the deck/frame is holding up great.

Tharrell
07-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Glenn, FYI.
A small engine mechanic friend of mine told me those plates that cover the head direct airflow from the fan over the head. I haven't had any problems with mine removed and I'm going to keep it that way. I just thought I'd pass it on to you because we had posted about it before. Tony

mdb landscaping
07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
looking good. that mower will last you forever as a homeowner machine. we just had a tag sale a little while back to get rid of all our excess old equipment. most people that bought stuff for us was from homeowners. when you come to think of it, something old to us will work fine for the avg. homeowner. say they mow their yard once a week and it takes them an hour. we would put 10 hours a day on a machine. the length of the machine being used by a homeowner will extend the life a lot. one guy bought one of our turf tigers and he said he was gonna take it all apart and rebuild it, sandblast and paint. id be interested to see how it looked after.

Glenn J
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I haven't been on in a bit. Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Glenn J
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I finally stripped the old engine and split the case.

Here's the damage.....snapped crank and that took out the cam:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6315/mowerengine13bs.jpg

Crank stuck in the case:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/1364/mowerengine28or.jpg

Closeup:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6230/mowerengine31ga.jpg

Cylinder:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2769/mowerengine48aa.jpg

Glenn J
05-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I finally got around to repainting the deck! I found some John Deere green paint and figured I'd give it a shot. The paint is a little "greener" than I thought it would be, but it looks much better than the old worn out original paint.

I used a DA sander to sand off the old stuff and some very minor surface rust. I used a small cheapo roller to apply the paint and a brush for the hard to reach areas. All in all, it came out pretty good.

Glenn J
05-04-2006, 06:23 PM
All together:

zim bob the landscaper
05-04-2006, 06:26 PM
that looks like a nice color but what about the rest?

Glenn J
05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
It's just going to have to stay two tone for now. :laugh: