PDA

View Full Version : Cornmeal for BrownPatch in St. Augustine

PrimeScapes
04-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I have a customer that is fighting BrownPatch in St. Augustine from last year. About 2 weeks ago I core aerated the entire yard. Customer wants to try the organic method rather than conventional. I figure I will apply at 15lbs/1000. Should I apply more or less? My question is can I go ahead start since the aeration was recently done? Also how often should I apply. The BrownPatch was way out of control at the end of last year. I am afraid that if nothing is done this year the yard will be done. Excuse the ignorance, I am not familiar with these type of applications, but trying to learn!!

Thanks for you time!!

timturf
04-29-2005, 03:14 PM
What was the fert program last year?

Does the client have an irrigation system/

FLD
04-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Use Zerotol to take care of the fungus. It is a good broad spectrum fungicide, will take care of both brown patch and dollar spot, has a zero reentry period. Then follow with a good tea to replace the beneficials.

PrimeScapes
05-01-2005, 12:53 PM
What was the fert program last year?

Does the client have an irrigation system/

timturf,

I usually put down 4 apps.. only put down the first two last year. I didn't put a thing down after I noticed the BP. They do have a irrigation and that is the whole problem. The sprinkler heads in the beds overlap into the yard. The customer spends tons on seasonal color and waters the heck out of them. So some areas were getting water daily in the hot months. I have tried to explain :angry: but you know how that goes! Thanks for the help!!

Grassboy 101
05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
the recommended rate is 20# per 1,000 sq ft. I don't think the excessive water from the irrigation system during the hot summer months caused the problem. More than likely if the customer continued the excessive watering into the fall when the nights began to cool down this is when the problem got worse. Good luck!