PDA

View Full Version : 21 inch mowers are hurting America

David Grass
04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, just wanted to get everyone's attention, because I am worried about our economy, energy, and our ozone layer. In fact I feel guilty using any kind of mower, but rationalize that at least I mow an acre in no time flat. I use a 54 and a 52, and even tho I am in the mountains, I hope to move to a 62 54 combo. I have heard that a 21 inch (that takes 5 to 6 times longer to do an acre) puts out the same amount of emissions as a large mower per hour! Thoughts?

bigz1001
04-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, just wanted to get everyone's attention, because I am worried about our economy, energy, and our ozone layer. In fact I feel guilty using any kind of mower, but rationalize that at least I mow an acre in no time flat. I use a 54 and a 52, and even tho I am in the mountains, I hope to move to a 62 54 combo. I have heard that a 21 inch (that takes 5 to 6 times longer to do an acre) puts out the same amount of emissions as a large mower per hour! Thoughts?

The smaller engine uses much less gas per hour and most people mowing large properties are not using these 21 inch mowers. Your argument makes no sense. Sorry. Someone driving a v6 or 4 cylinder ranger may not be able to go as fast as someone driving the larger v8, which one is going to use less gas when being used for their intended purpose? I figure this is in the wrong forum as well.

Global warming is a myth! If it isn't then explain to me the different glacial periods the earth has went through. As long as Nascar continues to be a sport where those guys burn 20+ gallons of fuel in 60 miles, I will never be convinced our enviroment is in enough danger to worry about the neighbor push mowing his lawn.

Zr2_thunder
04-28-2005, 09:33 PM
The day after Tomroow :D :D

Jpocket
04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
I belive it's true but It is happening much too slow to affect any of us, I sayGIT ER DONE.

green thum
04-29-2005, 03:43 AM
:blob3: GIT ER DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!that's funny right there i dont care who you are,

crawdad
04-29-2005, 07:47 AM
A cow discharges about 24 cubic gallons of methane per day. Methane is a greenhouse gas.
What should we do?
:confused:

Texas Mowem
04-29-2005, 09:15 AM
A cow discharges about 24 cubic gallons of methane per day. Methane is a greenhouse gas.
What should we do?

They shoot cows don't they.

Remsen1
04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
"21 inch mowers are hurting America"

PLEASE! STEP AWAY FROM THE CRACK PIPE!

MarcSmith
04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Good old america. lets whip them into shape and bust their chops and f&ck the rest of the third polluting countries. running crap engines belching blue smoke with every puff. How much polution do smokers contribute?

I eat the Cows so I'm doing my part, and my mower of choice is a 1963 Wheel horse with a 7hp kohler engine...I guess I'm going to hell.... :rolleyes:

grasswhacker
04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
"21 inch mowers are hurting America"

PLEASE! STEP AWAY FROM THE CRACK PIPE!

I admit I own 2- 21" mowers, both craftsman. This may mean I am possibly unpatriotic. I need :help:
Boy, I feel better getting that off my chest.

meathead1134
04-29-2005, 10:06 PM
What should we do?

LOL now that was funny, Maybe they should turn that into some sort of energy fuel or something :dizzy:

crawdad
04-29-2005, 10:46 PM
LOL now that was funny, Maybe they should turn that into some sort of energy fuel or something :dizzy:
Sure, you be the one to figure out how to bottle it, and we'll name it after you.
"Meathead's methane, fuel of the future"

jim dailey
04-30-2005, 12:43 AM

Hey, Meathead, looking for a Walker Mower deck. Anything over that way? send me a p.m.

Todd's lawncare
04-30-2005, 05:06 AM
It is all justmowits fault !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greywynd
04-30-2005, 10:56 AM

Actually, they are. There's currently several experiments to convert methane into other energies, one being electricity.

www.unioneagle.com/2001/september/27cows.html

http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2002/03/032502t_cowpower.jhtml

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/11/12/manure031112

lawnandplow42
04-30-2005, 04:38 PM
ha, i bet it would work!

QMVA
04-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Actually, they are. There's currently several experiments to convert methane into other energies, one being electricity.

Omaha has a small methane power plant that is supplied by the gas leaking out of a dump.

crawdad
04-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Excellent!

That's methane from the manure, I was referring to the methane released from cattle in the form of burps and farts. How can we recover this natural resource, so it won't go into the atmosphere?

it's great that alternate sources of energy are being explored. For instance, Why couldn't Washington, DC produce enough electricity for the entire state of Virginia? There's a lot of Bull Sh!t there!

crawdad
04-30-2005, 09:23 PM
http://www.microbe.org/news/gassy.asp
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19990030125710data_trunc_sys.shtml

A+ Lawncare
04-30-2005, 10:17 PM

the stoners are currently using those piles of cow **** for stoner power.... can ya say shrooms :waving: haha

a a green
05-01-2005, 12:15 AM
just imagine if all the elephants in the world converged on DC. There would be enough gas there in one day, to supply the U.S. for 2 weeks.

Soupy
05-01-2005, 04:08 AM
The smaller engine uses much less gas per hour and most people mowing large properties are not using these 21 inch mowers. Your argument makes no sense. Sorry. Someone driving a v6 or 4 cylinder ranger may not be able to go as fast as someone driving the larger v8, which one is going to use less gas when being used for their intended purpose? I figure this is in the wrong forum as well.

Global warming is a myth! If it isn't then explain to me the different glacial periods the earth has went through. As long as Nascar continues to be a sport where those guys burn 20+ gallons of fuel in 60 miles, I will never be convinced our enviroment is in enough danger to worry about the neighbor push mowing his lawn.

Yea and they also spill a lot of gas on pit road. I can't believe the tree hugger's haven't tried stopping this killer sport.....

jajwrigh
05-01-2005, 04:28 AM
What a stupid thread..... :dizzy: :cry: :dizzy:

meathead1134
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I can't believe that this thread has made it way to the 3rd page. I have read all the reponses from my first post ROTFLMAO. Now If cows had some sort air tight helmet with a tube connected to collect the gas and ahhhh never mind just stupid monday morning thinking I need more sleep :dizzy: :dizzy:

meathead1134
05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Sure, you be the one to figure out how to bottle it, and we'll name it after you.
"Meathead's methane, fuel of the future"

Would you have to have haz mat endorsements for that I wonder???

Guthrie&Co
05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Yea and they also spill a lot of gas on pit road. I can't believe the tree hugger's haven't tried stopping this killer sport.....
spill gas? if you arent any good. i have been a gasman for 4 years and i have spilt gas a grand total of twice. and those 2 times were the first and second times. there is a easy fix to that problem. fire the crappy gasman and get a good one

A+ Lawncare
05-02-2005, 07:58 PM
spill gas? if you arent any good. i have been a gasman for 4 years and i have spilt gas a grand total of twice. and those 2 times were the first and second times. there is a easy fix to that problem. fire the crappy gasman and get a good one

come on guys, don't ya know it takes a proffesional to gas up? scabyscapes got his bacheleor degree in gassing up cars :cool:

MarcSmith
05-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Technically speaking the gas man does not spill the gas. It overflows in to the catch can. Its the driver who spills the gas as when he pulls out of the pits at a a high rate of speed the fuels sloshes around the tank and some will find its way intot he over flow tube then onto pit road......

Guthrie&Co
05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
come on guys, don't ya know it takes a proffesional to gas up? scabyscapes got his bacheleor degree in gassing up cars :cool:
well then smart ass, you gas it and see how well you do the first time. it takes experince. not a degree. that was the point i was tring to get across. thanks for showing us how much you dont know about the subject.

the gas does flow back into the catch can and over flow there as well. but in the overflow valve there is a one way flap that is supposed to hinder the loss of fuel. it helps but its not a perfect system.

the gasman will spill the gas if the catchcan is not installed before the plugs in. the air in the tank wont have anywhere to go and it will not go in the fuel cell. not it is crutial that he is there before you.
the reason you wont see a 4 tire stop and 2 cans of fuel get anyfaster than 13 to 14 seconds is because it takes approx 7 seconds to dump 11 gallons of fuel in the car. it wont get any faster unless they 1. change the design of the dump can 2. only take 2 tires and 1 can. 3. cheat and make the can dump faster by changing it somehow.

MarcSmith
05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
. 3. cheat and make the can dump faster by changing it somehow.

Some how I see this happening in Nascar.....:)

Did you ever read DW's book....Man they were bending the rules just a bit back in the day....:)

fromTEXAS!
05-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I dont give a damn to those saying such and such about polluting the air. im sticking to my guns and continuing with pride about my mowers!

Guthrie&Co
05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Some how I see this happening in Nascar.....:)

Did you ever read DW's book....Man they were bending the rules just a bit back in the day....:)
i havent read his book at all. when i worked for the 10 car we cheated alot. they all do. the rule of thumb was to cheat on 20 diffrent things and nascar would only catch 6 or 7. then you still had some left over that they didnt catch.

David Grass
05-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Man, I thought this thread had died! lol, well I was caustic with the title, somewhat tongue in cheek, but am amazed the direction it went. I see guys putzing around with 21s and I have covered 5 yards before they are thru, and we are putting out close to the same emissions. IMHO, I think the largest fastest mowers are a must going into this next century, just wait, you will see a show on it in the next few years, I guarantee. Americans are norotiously complacent. The giant cars died in the 70s when gas was scarce, and Japanese cars kicked our ass. OK, now, it is 2005, and we didn't learn, GM is losing a **** load of money now, as, oh guess what, SUV sales are plummeting, DUH. We are entering a time never seen before, We have never had the population (that is growing), the greenhouse effect, the scarcity of resources, etc. I am just concerned, and dont want to be a typical complacent American!

David Grass
05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
PS, I find it strange that no one agreed that a large mower in the proper hands can do as good a job, and is more environmentally friendly!

bigz1001
05-03-2005, 10:43 PM
I do not agree with your claim that it is more envirmentally friendly.

meathead1134
05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
since this thread has gone out of whack he is a stinky situation for fuel

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/05/03/waste.power.ap/index.html

David Grass
05-04-2005, 03:18 PM
I do not agree with your claim that it is more envirmentally friendly.
well, then, why? If I can drive to the West Coast in one day instead of 5, with slightly more emissions per hour, I am 4 times more environmentally "friendly". A lesser evil.

betterlawn
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
well, then, why? If I can drive to the West Coast in one day instead of 5, with slightly more emissions per hour, I am 4 times more environmentally "friendly". A lesser evil.

I'm not even going to bother to follow this whole thread, but I suspect the point was that the smaller cheaper engines put out a disproportionate amount of emissions, i.e. more emissions per gallon of gas.
Kind of the equivalent of mileage for cars.

That said, if you drove a car 5 times faster, it would put out 5 times as much emissions. A better comparison is a bus carrying 60 people to California vs. 60 cars driving to California. Bus's might be gas hogs, but they are certainly better than the equivalent number of cars.

So was the point that everybody should hire a landscaper with a big mower? Or that LCO's shouldn't use small mowers on big lots?