PDA

View Full Version : Stick edger versus walk behind 4 wheel edger

ITL
05-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Lawnsite Team

What are the benefits of a hand held stick edger over a walk behind 4 wheel blade edger. We currently use a 4 wheel walk behind edger that is getting close to its end of life and I am trying to determine if I should get a stick edger to replace it or another walk behind. How easy are the stick edgers to use and set the edging depth?

Thanks Wayne

fromTEXAS!
05-01-2005, 03:56 PM
the benefit of a stick edger is faster to use saves you more time than would a convential walkbehind edger but if the yard is really bad in over grown grass like where i live the st. agustine can grow quite long be good to use the walkbehind since they tend too have more power.

wojo23323
05-01-2005, 04:07 PM
the benefit of a stick edger is faster to use saves you more time than would a convential walkbehind edger but if the yard is really bad in over grown grass like where i live the st. agustine can grow quite long be good to use the walkbehind since they tend too have more power.

Exactly what he said.

Runner
05-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Also, if you have any props that have any plentiful amount of edging, a wheeled is better, too. Anything over 5 minutes worth, break out the wheeled edger. There is just SO much less fatigue with it compared to a stick edger. Don't get me wrong, a stick isn't that bad, but you do have to keep down pressure applied. After 5 minutes, the feasibility of the "quick off the trailer" is outweighed. With a wheeled edger, it's like all you have to do is hold on loosely, and don't even have to carry it.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Also, if you have any props that have any plentiful amount of edging, a wheeled is better, too. Anything over 5 minutes worth, break out the wheeled edger. There is just SO much less fatigue with it compared to a stick edger. Don't get me wrong, a stick isn't that bad, but you do have to keep down pressure applied. After 5 minutes, the feasibility of the "quick off the trailer" is outweighed. With a wheeled edger, it's like all you have to do is hold on loosely, and don't even have to carry it.

I agree with runner, but I like the stick on flower beds, never have been able to get the wheeled edger to preform in the yard around a bed :dizzy:

ITL
05-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks Lawnsite Team

I was hoping to make a big gain over my wheeled edger. Looks like the gain could be less than expected as about half of my lots are grouped together. This permits me to pull wheel edger and run multiple poperties with each tool. I still might get one for the single properties where the stick edger would be used a few minutes. But looks like I will not be eliminating the stick edger from the trailer. Now I will have more time to study which brand. Looking at the 4mix Stihl or the Redmax both in the straight shaft version.

Thanks again

Wayne

drsogr
05-07-2005, 12:01 AM
I have a stihl stick edger...I love it! It works faster than I could trim with it. It works great. I couldn't do without it.

hole in one lco
05-07-2005, 12:08 AM
hands down the stick edger it easier for curbs

DynaMow
05-07-2005, 01:02 AM
i have both, once edge established never use anything but stick edger. twice as fast for me the bigger the place the more times it saves

craigs lawncare
05-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Now I will have more time to study which brand. Looking at the 4mix Stihl or the Redmax both in the straight shaft version.

Thanks again

Wayne

I have been eying Stihl stick edgers as well... is there that much more power with the Stihl 4Mix over the other Stihl models?

Craig

grass_cuttin_fool
05-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Something else I forgot and had over looked till this week. I have a craftsman wheeled edger and it has an adjustable cutting head. This week I wasnt pleased with the edge and I put the head in the 15 degree angle and it put a nice gentle slope on my edges.Im not gonna say that you cant do that with a stick edger, but this way its uniform and with a stick it wouldnt be. BUT I still say both edgers have there place on the trailer and I carry both all the time

ITL
05-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Craig

The reason I would pick the 4mix sthil over the conventional 2 cycle sthil is the fuel economy gain (engine output the same) over the standard 2 cycle. The problem with the standard 2 cycle is that it uses about 25 to 30 percent of its air/fuel mixture to push the spent exhaust out. The 4 mix saves this wasted fuel through added piston cycles. The Redmax with the Z engines, letter at the end (_ _ Z) use a stratified charge mix. The carb has two ports, one with air only and one with air and fuel/oil mix. The air only is used to start the push of spent exhaust out of the cylinder chamber. Both of these solutions, 4 mix and stratified charge, are used to meet emmissions but as a side benefit should yield a 20 to 30 percent fuel savings for similar engine output. This saves fuel, reduces our expenses, and requires less fuel in the tank to meet similar run times. This means less weight to lift. Thats why I am looking at the 4 mix Sthil or Redmax with Stratified Charge engine. My choice is narrowing down on which will be easier to use and produce the best results.

Wayne

craigs lawncare
05-08-2005, 11:22 AM
ITL,

Thanks for the reply...
I will do a search on the Redmax edgers. :)

Craig

YardPro
05-08-2005, 10:02 PM

then you are not using it right.....

it has a wheel to roll on and is no more work than weed eating......

grass_cuttin_fool
05-08-2005, 10:17 PM

My stihl fs85 with the edger attacment tends to rise and I have to keep down pressure on it :waving:

drsogr
05-08-2005, 11:55 PM

Agreed! You would not believe how easy a stick edger is to use. I can use mine faster than I can trim. When I trim I am worried about keeping it perfect....when edging, the edger make it perfect. I run along with a slight angle away from the concrete, and have no problem.

Pro-Scapes
05-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Its a tough call really. I got both but don't carry the 4 wheel on my trailer unless I'm going to do a new property or one I haven't seen. You just can't beat 5hp for breaking a new edge with the 4 blade cross type blade. To maintain its just so much faster to grab the stick edger. I got the echo. Seems bit underpowered sometimes compared to my friends redmax if there is overgrowth but mines considerably easier too start and lighter.

txlawnking
05-09-2005, 01:07 PM
My fellow Houstonian summed it up, But I'll add my nickel.. The extra weight/inertia and extra cutting edges od the "star" type blades make them invaluable on a stick edger.. Plus they last longer and make the machine easier to control, at least in my experience..