PDA

View Full Version : OCDC - Revised version

dwost
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Some of you may remember reading about a DIY OCDC that I built last year. This was my first attempt at building something that would be functional without breaking the bank. Here is the link to the post. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=71593&page=3&highlight=ocdc

Well, I decided to rebuild it, as the one I originally made was not heavy enough, sat too high when flipped up and was really a first run attempt. I utilized the same control mechanism I used for my original, only changed out the cover and mounting points. Here are some pics of the revised version. I got the 1/8" steel from a scrap yard for free and the total cost for the hinges, bolts, paint, etc... ran about $15. This one is much heavier than my old one and the added friction on the hinges allow me keep it in a partially closed position as well which is a nice advantage.

kc2006
05-02-2005, 02:00 PM
looks good, very interesting use of a socket and swivel :D

dwost
05-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks, It works quite nicely. I've been using it for over a year now and it's held up quite nicely :)

kwelch
05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
yeah.....looks great.

FuzzyOne
05-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I copied your pictures last year of your swivel design hoping to get to it over the winter. Well, winter came and went, now I'm thinking about getting it done on my TTHP.

I have one question for you though, how do you get it to stay partially open? Doesn't the handle have to have some type of friction to keep it half open? I'm still trying to think of ways to accomplish this.

Great design with the swivel.

dwost
05-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey Fuzzy, well, the handle doesn't have much friction. The bracket that is mounted to the handlebar assembly has a hole in it that is larger than the diameter of the rod allowing it to move freely. The friction actually comes from the hinges. It happened by accident. When I mounted the hinges to the plate, I tried to leave enough space to ensure the hinge mechanism would move freely. Well, on one of them I mounted it too close to hinge base and it actually caused some binding. Nothing too severe but it enables me to leave it in a partially closed position. The only drawback is that it takes a bit more twisting to get it open or closed but nothing too severe. I was thinking of adjusting it but I do like the ability to leave it partially open. It does end up closing if the ground is very bumpy but for most of my yard I can keep it in that position for as long as I need. I cut last night and used this to eliminate blow-back all over me from the wind. It is really a nice design. I may upgrade the swivel to a 1/2" knuckle as it is a bit heavier duty. I've had to replace the pin with a screw in mine but it's worked great ever since. Good luck with your design and post some pics when you finish it.

FuzzyOne
05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks.

I'm definitely going to use the swivel method, but I still need to think about how the flap will stay open. I also need to design it so a catcher can still be mounted. :dizzy:

StanWilhite
01-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Looks good! I'm sure I'll use some of your design in mine! Thanks, Stan

bobcat48
01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Looks good,nice job.

eatonpcat
01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Thread from 2005...DWost sold that mower a couple years ago!!