PDA

View Full Version : Hurt myself, getting behind

grassbandit
05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I hurt myself in a four wheeler accident on Sunday. It is now Tuesday and I am able to walk around the house a little bit. Only two days behind for now, but I know I won't be back in business for another couple of days. Any words of encouragement or advice would be great. I can't be the only idiot that didn't think about the consequences of being a small business owner and getting hurt.
Thanks

fromTEXAS!
05-03-2005, 03:31 PM
just dont do dangerous stuff.

lawnranger44
05-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I hurt myself in a four wheeler accident on Sunday. It is now Tuesday and I am able to walk around the house a little bit. Only two days behind for now, but I know I won't be back in business for another couple of days. Any words of encouragement or advice would be great. I can't be the only idiot that didn't think about the consequences of being a small business owner and getting hurt.
Thanks

For the future, I would find someone who would be able to fill in for you. Maybe a friend who would like to make a little extra cash. Have them work with you for a few hours here and there to get him familiar with your equipment, etc. Then if something unexpected comes up, you'll just be able to let him handle it for a few days.

Remsen1
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Hasn't happened yet, knock on wood, but my number has to be coming up soon. I've had a couple scares some badly twisted ankles, strained back, etc. that has stopped me from doing anything for a day here and there which has made me wonder what I would do if I hurt myself so badly that I was out of commission for weeks. I am friends with a couple LCOs and between them they could probably absorb my clients, I wouldn't lose my customers to them, but I wouldn't make much money after paying them to do my work for me.

rodfather
05-03-2005, 05:33 PM
I hurt myself in a four wheeler accident on Sunday. It is now Tuesday and I am able to walk around the house a little bit. Only two days behind for now, but I know I won't be back in business for another couple of days. Any words of encouragement or advice would be great. I can't be the only idiot that didn't think about the consequences of being a small business owner and getting hurt. Thanks

Actually, this form of entertainment will put you in harm's way. I would find something else to do for fun IMO.

lawnandplow42
05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
thats the reason why my former boss sold his harley-davidson

jpp
05-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks

Sell the 4 wheeler, get another lawnmower and take up golfing. That should cure you for awhile.

CamLand
05-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Grab one of your buddies and try to get out there.also talk to any family to help out.Sorry I dont live closer or I'd give you a hand.i'm not going to tell you not to have fun,but you do need to think about what your doing before you do it...

A+ Lawncare
05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
:waving: j/w what type of atv you have and what happened w/the accident?

i'm a former atv rider myself, i do alot of offroad riding w/400 cc & 500c (polaris & honda) 4wd atvs.... always a great way to relieve stress on the weekends... but now i see where it can make u stress on the weekdays from the weeknds...

just be careful in the future when out riding, atvs are as dangerous as anything else and should be respected... :)

David Grass
05-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you should (and probably are) thankful it wasnt worse, In a month when you are doing great, wont seem so bad. Every day has risks, I try to minimize it, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope you are jamming soon!

HOOLIE
05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Hope you can get back out there soon.

Couple of years ago I was thinking about joining a flag football league...until a buddy of mine broke his femur playing. Just a freak accident, he owns a paving business, his wife had to chauffer him around for a few months until he was able to drive himself. Now if that had been me, I'd have been up a creek without a paddle. As long as you rely on yourself for labor, gotta play it safe.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey Grassbandit, good luck in getting well. The few times Ive been hurt or sick I just had to bust my butt to catch up. I have no backup person. If I were close would help you out.

Itsgottobegreen
05-03-2005, 10:06 PM
For the future, I would find someone who would be able to fill in for you. Maybe a friend who would like to make a little extra cash. Have them work with you for a few hours here and there to get him familiar with your equipment, etc. Then if something unexpected comes up, you'll just be able to let him handle it for a few days.
This exactly what I did. I got besides my one current part time guy 5 friends that know how to run (between the 5 of them) all of my equipment. All know how to run the mowers. If I get hurt, I can just show them the route and they can do it.

Todd's lawncare
05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Sell the 4 wheeler, get another lawnmower and take up golfing. That should cure you for awhile.
I take it you never been hit with a gold ball then
I do not agree with sitting on your A** just because you run a company you can do just as much on a mower maybe even more like cutting your foot off .
Just be more careful when have fun . What kind of life would it be to go to work go home sit there on lawn site all nite ? Its like saying well someone t-boned a truck today so I'm not gonna drive my truck any more .

Jason Rose
05-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Man I hear ya about getting hurt! I also had a 4 wheeler accident last summer. I was standing up on the pegs as usual just going along the trail about 15 mph hit a small whoop and I guess i was just leaning a little too far forward and boom! I went head first over the handlebars into the hard gravely ground and the it ran me over! Broke my nose, my face looked like hamburger (it wasn't that bad really...) pulled alot of muscles in my back and neck and hurt my knee pretty bad. I was in a lot of pain and couldn't barely walk or get up and down. All that from a slow speed accident! Man, I had a helmet too, in the truck... I had to work no matter what, solo. I found fast that I could ride the mower but getting on and off of it was a slow process and dumping the bags was nearly impossible so i blew everything for a day or two as best I could. Thank god I had a friend that was at the time unemployed. He didnt know much about mowing, trimming or anything else but he was able to help me get stuff done that had to be done.

After all this I really had to start thinking, is it really worth risking my business to go out and ride a quad? Taking part in risky activities is part of some peoples every day lives, but when you are self employed and your physical ability to work is all you have to pay your bills... Is it worth it? Yeah, I could be in a car wreck or fall off my roof, who knows, accidents happen, but they are accidents. By going out and doing stuff that purposely put me at risk started to seem kinda crazy.

Hope you mend quickly! Nothing worse than working in pain....

Itsgottobegreen
05-03-2005, 11:06 PM
e .

I have been. Twice. Damn that hurts. :cry:

Doster's L & L
05-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Doing dumb stuff while having fun always does seem like a great idea at the moment. Then, before the dumbest "trick" of the day is about to be performed, the most infamous, yet often recited words come out of the soon-to-be injured persons mouth.... "Hey, Bubba!! WATCH THIS!!!" About 10 seconds after these words are spoken, the "trickster" is now realizing that his awesome idea was not such a good idea after all! :cry:

Oh well, man. We all do dumb stuff sometimes. Just suck it up, carry your bandages and hobble around the lawns the best you can. You'll be good as new in about a month like someone else stated. Been there in '01 with road rash from a motorcycle accident. Yah, i was doin dumb stuff too! I looked like a mummy all wrapped up workin' the lawns, but i managed to get the work done. Now as i reflect on that for a second... THAT SUCKED!!!

grassbandit
05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I have delegated some work to a couple other friends of mine that own lco's here in Indy. I don't know what I would do without their help. I left myself some work to do, but not much, I know it will take me a while to get it done. As for the four wheeler. Haven't decided on selling it or not. Definitely will think twice before doing anything remotely crazy with it. It is great for plowing snow in the winter!
Thanks Guys

jpp
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I do not agree with sitting on your A** just because you run a company you can do just as much on a mower maybe even more like cutting your foot off .
Just be more careful when have fun . What kind of life would it be to go to work go home sit there on lawn site all nite ? Its like saying well someone t-boned a truck today so I'm not gonna drive my truck any more .

No I have never been hit with a golf ball. . I did not tell him to sit on his A@@ as you put it. Common Sense needs to come into play at some point. You are about the same age as he, according to your profile do you take risks too? As you put it "just be more careful when have fun" that is where the common sense comes into play.

Now with me saying that, I too took a lot risks when I was your age so I know accidents can happen.

Todd's lawncare
05-04-2005, 06:05 PM
No I have never been hit with a golf ball. . I did not tell him to sit on his A@@ as you put it. Common Sense needs to come into play at some point. You are about the same age as he, according to your profile do you take risks too? As you put it "just be more careful when have fun" that is where the common sense comes into play.

Now with me saying that, I too took a lot risks when I was your age so I know accidents can happen.
hey i wasn't being an ass to ya but some people think just because you have a company to run that you cant take a risks. I mean you take one every day well more then one alot . Just saying do the dumb stuff everyone does in a safe manner like riding the 4 wheeler with a helmet I'm not saying he wasn't wearing one but be safe

jpp
05-04-2005, 07:05 PM
hey i wasn't being an ass to ya but some people think just because you have a company to run that you cant take a risks. I mean you take one every day well more then one alot . Just saying do the dumb stuff everyone does in a safe manner like riding the 4 wheeler with a helmet I'm not saying he wasn't wearing one but be safe

I agree with you. I probably take more than I should with the ztr on hills.I did not mean to come back at you like an A$$ either. Heck I was considering buying a motorcycle to help conserve fuel this summer. I own two trucks which are plenty thirsty.

Todd's lawncare
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
I agree with you. I probably take more than I should with the ztr on hills.I did not mean to come back at you like an A$$ either. Heck I was considering buying a motorcycle to help conserve fuel this summer. I own two trucks which are plenty thirsty.
Well i hope you didn't plan on pulling your rig with the bike :) j/k . I got 3 trucks and a family van tell me about it

Soupy
05-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Just explain to your customers that you were injured and you might fall a little behind, but it will be temporary. Most will understand and live with a uncut lawn for a week. It's no different then getting a weeks rain. The ones that don't understand are the ones you will need to try and squeeze in somehow.

I would probably stretch the truth a little and tell them you are very sick with the flew or something. This way they won't think you are careless or worry about the injury returning.

tmf lawn care
05-19-2005, 07:51 PM
that why i sick with fishing

Jpocket
05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
thats the reason why my former boss sold his harley-davidson

Heck Tha's what I work for all the fun toys, The more I think about it the more I realize you've gotta have employees if your in it for the long run.

topsites
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks

Last year I ran my '95 proline sfs alongside a fence at top speed when the deck clipped a board and the machine stopped immediately. I got knocked into the handlebars and then flew over top towards the running engine and the turning spindles/belts. That hurt so bad I had to sit down for about 5 minutes until the worst of the pain went away, but I had done something to myself because the left side of my chest hurt really bad.
Now I can not advise you do this because I am no doctor and what I am about to tell you is VERY dangerous and you do this at your own risk!
Keep in mind, 800 mg's of Motrin is prescription strength and ONLY a doctor can prescribe anything in that range or beyond, so you are NOT allowed to do what I am about to tell you!

That having been said ...
What I did is I slowly walked to my truck and opened the bottle of extra-strength Motrin (200mg/pill). I took 16 individual pills (3200 mg's) and the pain slowly subsided and within 20 minutes I could hardly feel a thing.
Now I knew I had to take it real easy because when you can no longer feel what once felt like ridiculous pain, you can easily make things a LOT worse without even realizing it, but I finished out the day.
The next day AND over a period of 6-8 weeks I hurt so bad in the mornings it about made me yell out in pain just trying to get out of bed, thou 1600-2400 mg's of Motrin got me through each and every day, slowly but surely.
The pain lasted six months and slowly went away over this time, so I suspect I had cracked (hairline fractured) 1 or more ribs. Without any hospital visits, I am fine today.
Best of luck!

topsites
05-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Just explain to your customers that you were injured and you might fall a little behind, but it will be temporary. Most will understand and live with a uncut lawn for a week. It's no different then getting a weeks rain. The ones that don't understand are the ones you will need to try and squeeze in somehow.

I would probably stretch the truth a little and tell them you are very sick with the flew or something. This way they won't think you are careless or worry about the injury returning.

You could use this to 'weed' out your customer base. When this happens, the ones that leave are the weak ones in the pack, and the ones that are left are your most loyal followers that will likely stay with you to the end.
I do not recommend lying because once you start down that road, it never ends. Tell the truth, and those who can't handle it, tough.
Peace out.