PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion a customer of mine.

jpp
05-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, I am turning the corner to go to a customers and I see TV Vans with their masts up. I was like now what is going on. I am coming up the street and they are right in front of my customers. A detective was walking out with bags in his hands so I asked what was going on. I explained that I took care of their yard and he told me they were victims of a home invasion. Unbelievable, this is a real nice part of town, house was ransacked, stuff was taken, and they stole their car. Here is a link to the story. The worst part is the husband is legally blind. http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4443729/detail.html

I guess while we out mowing we need to make sure we take the time to check out the homes of the elderly folks we do. Thought I would share this with you guys so you too can keep an eye out on your customers.

JP

jaybird
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
good idea, the elderly are kinda helpless sometimes.

Doster's L & L
05-04-2005, 01:07 AM
The robber's day will come...

ToroLandscaper
05-15-2005, 12:52 AM
The robbers goin to hell for that!

Expert Lawns
05-15-2005, 01:21 AM
I just got a call from the neighbor of one of my customers telling me that he (my customer) is in the hospital pretty much waiting to die. He is 92 years old. Last year he was in great health and actually got around well, just a little hard of hearing. His wife died last year too. They say elderly folk usually don't last long after their spouse dies. I was wondering why he never called this year to renew services. I tried calling several times. Guess this answers my question. I agree, you should check in on, or at least pay close attention to your older customers

RedWolf
05-18-2005, 01:34 AM
I always spend more time with my older customers.There was one that i loved.Miss Robin.she would bake cookies before i came and when i was done we would talk for hours.her hubby died 4 years ago and i think i was the only thing keeping her alive.Well two days ago i got her two 150 year old books with a note.She mailed them to me and the note said keep them safe my son and may life treat you well.then i found out her kids didnt even show up to say good bye.Call me crazy but every friday i go to her grave and eat a cookie and have some tea like i did when she was alive and then leave.She was not only a customer she was a good friend.

br549oicu8
05-18-2005, 08:31 AM
RedWolf.
You are truly a good man.
I respect you!!

stumper1620
05-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I always spend more time with my older customers.There was one that i loved.Miss Robin.she would bake cookies before i came and when i was done we would talk for hours.her hubby died 4 years ago and i think i was the only thing keeping her alive.Well two days ago i got her two 150 year old books with a note.She mailed them to me and the note said keep them safe my son and may life treat you well.then i found out her kids didnt even show up to say good bye.Call me crazy but every friday i go to her grave and eat a cookie and have some tea like i did when she was alive and then leave.She was not only a customer she was a good friend.
Amazing how some people can have that effect on you, I have some very special folks on my list of clients also. it will be very difficult when i lose them.
as we all know is going to happen sooner or later.

BSDeality
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Home Invasion... i thought this was going to be about some HGTV or TLC show on TV.

Pro-Scapes
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Man that is so whacked. Hard to even concieve there is scum like that on this planet. I put alarm signs and stuff out at my grandmas just because we worry bout her. They should go back to hanging thieves or stoning them or take their hand or something. a short jail term where they learn from more criminals is just too easy.

Redwolf. That's great man. I got a few customers like that. Bout to leave my pt job for day and I know I got lunch waiting for me at my 1st stop. She is just soooo sweet.

sheshovel
05-18-2005, 02:45 PM
When I was doing maint/gardening 75% of my clients were elderly,And I kept doing about 6 of them after I started my landscaping business.I spoke one time to other green industry people about how they should
take xtra time to relate to and keep a closer watch on their elderly clients,

I got tromped on sooo bad told I was waisting time,called names,told I was being a shrink not a business person ect ect.
But I always have and always will watch after my older clients 1st and formost,most are alone and ignored by family.They have enriched my life and knowlage of life so much.I have lost about 5 now from old age.
Most people don't even bother to call and tell you.It's bad to pull up and the place is abandoned.
The last one I even went so far as to redecorate her bdrm for her,set the front of her bed on blocks so she could sit up to breath better.
Padded her very old metal boxspring mattress thick and replaced her bedding with pretty floral print comforted,bedskirt,pillow cases ,She told me a few times about a beutifull porciline doll she had won as a young child at a church raffel..she loved it but her Mom made her redonate it back to the church,and how she would never forget that.So I gave her my porcileine doll and put it on a stand by her bed.She got so happy and I think it gave her a little closure there.I hate dolls anyway. :D
Her daughter was against me doing all these things ,
But I told her it was bettween me and her mom,she offered to pay me I said no.So she was a bit more happy and comfortable when she passed over. :angel: :angel:

jpp
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Sheshovel,

That is awesome. :angel: Nothing wrong with take some time out of the day to talk with the elderly and gain valuable information.

JP

jpp
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Redwolf,

That is so cool. Next time have a cookie for me too. But you need to wash it down with milk for me. :)

JP

stuie
05-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Money isnt everything as we can see.Do something nice and it will come back in the end.
Cant understand the relations sometimes There an old Italian guy across the road from a weekly job i do and he has alzheimers.He couldnt get his mower going so he said could i fix it I said no but i will mow your lawn if you would like.Took 10 mins.He asked how much ,would ten dollars be ok.I said sure no problem.Ok i did lawn he forgot to pay me and i didnt ask for the $.
Was at the regular job about a month later and the daughter and son in law came over and asked if id done the lawn then the daughter started to go on about me of exploiting her father.I said well my grandmother had alzheimers I know how terrible it is and i mowed your fathers lawn for free.She didnt believe me till the lady i mow for came out and defended my honesty and the fact i mowed the other elderly neighbors house for $5 cause thats all she could afford and she had no family to help her.
The son in law apologised but the daughter gives me the death stare everytime i see her. :angel: Dont figure

stumper1620
05-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Money isnt everything as we can see.Do something nice and it will come back in the end.
Cant understand the relations sometimes There an old Italian guy across the road from a weekly job i do and he has alzheimers.He couldnt get his mower going so he said could i fix it I said no but i will mow your lawn if you would like.Took 10 mins.He asked how much ,would ten dollars be ok.I said sure no problem.Ok i did lawn he forgot to pay me and i didnt ask for the $.
Was at the regular job about a month later and the daughter and son in law came over and asked if id done the lawn then the daughter started to go on about me of exploiting her father.I said well my grandmother had alzheimers I know how terrible it is and i mowed your fathers lawn for free.She didnt believe me till the lady i mow for came out and defended my honesty and the fact i mowed the other elderly neighbors house for $5 cause thats all she could afford and she had no family to help her.
The son in law apologised but the daughter gives me the death stare everytime i see her. :angel: Dont figure
family members have a tendancy to be that way, i think they feel that you are showing more care than they are, ( guilt trip) If they are having a guilt trip that is something they need to learn to deal with. I have several elderly that i care for far more than their family, I have others that the families pay for the lawn & plowing for the year. great people I might add.

Expert Lawns
05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
I just got a call from the neighbor of one of my customers telling me that he (my customer) is in the hospital pretty much waiting to die. He is 92 years old. Last year he was in great health and actually got around well, just a little hard of hearing. His wife died last year too. They say elderly folk usually don't last long after their spouse dies. I was wondering why he never called this year to renew services. I tried calling several times. Guess this answers my question. I agree, you should check in on, or at least pay close attention to your older customers

He passed on yesterday. I'm thinking of sending flowers and a card to the funeral home. Nothing extravagent, just something nice. What do you guys reccommend?

sheshovel
05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Lots of people just want the money you would have spent on flowers,donated to their favorite charity,or church.

stumper1620
05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
He passed on yesterday. I'm thinking of sending flowers and a card to the funeral home. Nothing extravagent, just something nice. What do you guys reccommend?
very nice thought & gesture.

meathead1134
05-19-2005, 12:22 PM

If it's not to much trouble I would cut it for free 1 time and thank the relatives for his good memories

br549oicu8
05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
All of the above are good suggestions. The right one is the one you feel from within.......

ALAN'S LAWN CARE
05-19-2005, 07:29 PM
We have a few elderly customers on our lists!!! I have one that stands above the rest though!! She had not called to renew her services for this yr!! She never missed calling same month and day every year!! I called her for 3 days in a row and never got an answer!! I have her daughter's # in my day planner (in case of emergencies) and gave her a call!! She hadn't talked to or seen her mom for couple days! She was gonna stop over to see her after work, but decided to try and call her!! She also didn't get an answer, so she called the neighbor to go see if he could get an answer! Nothing!! She decided to leave work early and go check on her! She found her on the living room floor!! She had fallen 2 days before and broke her hip!! She couldn't reach the door or the phone to get help!! She has now sold her home and is in a nursing home, but I talk to her every week! She will always hold a special place in our hearts!! She thanks me and my wife for caring enough to check-up on her when she didn't call!! It is all part of the job in my book!!! :D

jpp
05-19-2005, 08:14 PM

I agree with Stumper on this. She feels like you were more understanding to her father than she. Go figure.

JP

jpp
05-19-2005, 08:18 PM

I have sent out three cards this year to spouses of my customers when their better half passed on. Sorry to hear about this. Do what you feel is right. I have some that when they go I will be at the funeral home.

JP

Alan's Lawncare,

You are good man for checking up on her. She could have died from malnuriment (sp). What is up with the daughter not talking to her for a couple of days. If I don't see my Mom I at least call her. But I live 2 minutes away so that might be a little different. But I do see her every day.

JP