PDA

View Full Version : Grinder wheel dresser made a big difference.

KathysLGC
05-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I picked one up from sears cause I noticed it was taking a bit longer to sharpen my blades plus the blades would heat up fast. This thing cleaned up the wheel fast and made a huge difference when sharpening my blades. It feels as good as new again. BTW i'm using the Oregon unit from Travis. The dresser cost me $12. Not sure how it compares to other wheel dressers but it sure is better then nothing. If you haven't tried one i'm sure you'll be surprised at what it can do for your grinder.

aclassic
05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
what is a grinder wheel dresser? is it a wire wheel or something?

Markf
05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
It is a device that squares the wheel off so that you do not over heat an area and cause a stress crack in the wheel. You should test your wheel for cracks by very gently taping the wheel and listening for a hollow sound. If you hear that DO NOT use the wheel. It might disintegrate or explode during use. Also make sure that the rest is is close to the wheel.
Mark

grassmanvt
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
My father sharpens most of my blades and he too stumbled onto a wheel dresser a year ago, said it made a HUGE differance. Also, he said that it keeps the wheel better balanced as well.

DKinWA
05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
It's a good idea to dress grinding wheels regularly to expose new cutting surfaces and get rid of material loaded up on the wheel. Essentially, grinding wheels get dull just like lawnmower blades and need to be sharpened. As someone else said, they will cut faster and cooler if done regularly. It also helps to check the squareness of the wheel edge with a tri-square or similar tool when dressing. If you don't, it can be difficult to get a good straight edge on whatever you're grinding.

TLS
05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
My Fireball grinder has a built in diamond tipped dresser. After a swipe with that, it cuts like brand new.

When you get the wheel too hot, the steel will melt into the stone recesses filling them up and making a smooth wheel. I never had good luck with dressers until I used the diamond dresser.

Runner
05-04-2005, 06:40 PM
All I ask is that you just make sure you wear eye protection when you use these dressers.

TLS
05-04-2005, 11:37 PM
All I ask is that you just make sure you wear eye protection when you use these dressers.

Awlllll.....That takes all the fun outa it! :rolleyes:

:p Just kiddin'

lawncare3
05-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Anyone got a pic of a dresser?

Doster's L & L
05-05-2005, 12:30 AM

It's probably not a bad idea to wear a mask either. Lord knows we don't need any stone dust in our lungs. Studies have shown that lungs work better if foreign material has not been inhaled and lodged into the respiratory system. hehe.... ok... i'll stop being a smart arse now. :waving:

TLS
05-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Anyone got a pic of a dresser?

http://www.custommade.com/gallery/WalkerWoodWorks/dresser.jpg

:p Couldn't resist!

Soupy
05-05-2005, 01:41 AM
I thought that was a chest :)

Runner
05-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Oh GEEZ! Don't get into the "chest" pics, this thread will go on and on forever. Now that I mention it,...that MAY not be a bad thing!
As far as the dustmask thread, actually, that is a GREAT point. I only think of it WHILE I'm using the dresser.

KathysLGC
05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
LoL too funny.
Yeah eye protection is a must. After tiny pieces of something hit my cheek I put some on. I've seen dressers that look like spurs, mine is basically a plastic handle with a 1/2" round stone on the end. I'll see if I can find a pic of it. I will be looking into the diamond tip dressers next. Seems there about $20 online.

br549oicu8
05-05-2005, 10:44 AM
My girlfriend!! Isn't she pretty!!

KathysLGC
05-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Now that thur be a chest!!!!

aclassic
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM
its amazing whatphotoshop can co

Soupy
05-06-2005, 01:16 AM
She better not let go of that tree.... She might fall forward..... :p

Tharrell
05-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Oh yeah! Very nice.

Cut-Rite2
05-08-2005, 05:59 PM
That woman would make a great pontoon float for a swimming pool!!