PDA

View Full Version : sod question (help)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawnslawns
05-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey guys, My wife works at lowes and i am in the process of having dirt brought in at my house and top soil getting ready to sow some grass. They sale sod at Lowes and it is turning brown so they said my wife could have it for .75 cents a roll. I wonder how I can keep it alive if i buy it until they can get the dirt spread and put down. Don't want to pay for this and have it die before they get done with the dirt. Please i need some help on this one quick! Thanks.

lwcmattlifter
05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Unroll it and water it. If you want sod to live it needs sunlight and water. What size rolls are you getting?

Shawnslawns
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I think she said they are 1.5 by 3.5 feet. That's what she thought they were. The price is now .50 cents a roll. They have like 384 rolls of it they are trying to get rid of. I think i am going to buy all of it. Would you? I need it anyway. I live on a pretty good slope so i think this will keep it from washing so bad like grass seed does. How long will this stuff keep?

all degree
05-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Freshness counts with sod. The older it is the more chance of losing it. Dont be cheap go to a sod farm and get some.

lwcmattlifter
05-04-2005, 06:08 PM
If they are 1.5 x 3.5, .75 is not a good deal for old sod. I think you should be able to get it new for that price from a sod farm.

TLS
05-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Any sod I ever bought was cut that morning, or I'm out in the field as they cut and stack it on pallets, then place in your truck.

If you want to be cheap, most sod farms have a few strips left over at the end of the day that they'll likely cut you a good deal on.

The stuff at Loews has to be at least 2 days old by the time it gets there. Not the freshest, thats for sure!

Shawnslawns
05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
I don't want to be cheap, I have to be cheap. Called and talked to some people, they said they wouldn't recommend it. Called a sod farm and they said they recommend putting it down as soon as possible. Lowes got this in last friday and the customer didn't pick it up. I'm gonna let this one go. I was figuring it took 2 or 3 days to get to lowes plus almost a week sitting there and then next week before the guy can even get started on my yard so it will probably rot buy the time i get to use it. Thanks guys.

Simply Green L&L
05-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Good decision. You probably saved yourself a lot of work for nothing. What type of grass was the sod? What do sod farms in your area charge per sq/ft?
The Lowe's near me usually charges for around $1.99 for an approximately 5 sq/ft piece of sod (about $.40 sq/ft). I can get it cut fresh when I show up at the sod farm for $.15 sq/ft. Check sod farms near you and you might be able to get fresh sod for a savings close to the Lowe's rotted sale price.