PDA

View Full Version : Sign Nazi's BEWARE

kipcom
05-05-2005, 06:39 AM
My daughter has started her own lawn service this year and is doing "VERY" well at it(she has a good teacher). The problem she is having is that someone keeps >>removing<< her advertising signs she has placed out in the local area. She has permission from each property owner to place the sign in its location so it is not them removing the signs.

Anyone else have this problem ?? I am told that there are "Sign Nazi's" that go around and remove signs because they feel its one of those enviromental issues.

I said to her WTF !!!! go campout across the street from one and kick their azz when they touch it LOL...... :cool2:

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-05-2005, 06:49 AM
It is usually kids who do it. Happens all the time around election times, signs go missing and then of course the inevitible happens and one opponent blames the other. So I guess it could be your daughter's competition doing it possibly. I have never heard of the Sign Nazi's before. It is probably kids.

crawdad
05-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Some people consider them "Road Spam."
The other day I was moving a political sign that someone had put in front of one of my signs, and a car slowed down, watching me. That must have been his candidate. I put the sign back up, in a different place. Of course I left a competitor's sign where he put it, right next to mine.
Crawdad

1MajorTom
05-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Yep some our signs were missing too. At $4.40 a sign, it's not that bad when one gets stolen, but it's still irritating.

SCAG POWER
05-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Well , down here we have the code enforcement people going around and removing them. Some small towns down in Orlando the police do this also, and DOT will remove your sign if it is on the state rite of way.

Around the sanford airport they put up signs for flight training and were fined for each one that the police went around and collected.

Runner
05-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Kipcom,
Were they the wicket type signs, or something stuck to a telephone pole?

rodfather
05-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Yep some our signs were missing too. At $4.40 a sign, it's not that bad when one gets stolen, but it's still irritating.

Would be more than irratating if 50 of them mysteriously disappeared one week, huh Jodi?

Stuttering Stan
05-05-2005, 08:36 PM
homeowners association manager asks me to remove any signs on association property. I feel bad removing someone's sign, but when a manager asks me to, I feel like I should remove them.

Precision
05-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I watched 3 signs get pulled up by "competing" LCO's. Not to worry they won't be around next year.

Even got an acct due to the guys stealing my sign. Weird twist of fate. He gave the client an estimate then on his way out stole my sign.

She then called me and told me about the other guy, with whiskey on his breath.

out4now
05-05-2005, 10:38 PM
People here don't use the signs that much, except for Tru-green. No one ever seems to look at them anyway. The writting is usually so small you'd have to be walking to notice. Most likely though it is some kids that are taking them. Probably going to put them on the fort they just built.

lawnprosteveo
05-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I mow a strip center with grass out front by the street ( a busy street ), someone keeps putting their lawn service signs out on the property I mow.... I dont want people to see the nice job I did and think, hmm I'll call that number and let them mow my lawn. So I remove those signs on the properties I mow.....I would never put my signs on their account's property

lawncare3
05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I have put 8 signs out in the past week ALL are still there and have gotten me 4 new accounts. I will give it a little time to see.

grasswhacker
05-06-2005, 08:41 AM
I use a nails and washers (3) to post my signs on telephone poles. Man it sure makes it tough when someone wants to rip it down. Not impossible mind you, but some of the sign is still there after the attempt! lol
1st year I've used them and they worked better than newspaper ads. :blob3:

lawncare3
05-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Well the sign HITLER got me today. He is making me remove all signs. :realmad: :realmad: (stupid HOA) I will get em back somehow. :) Pisses me off there goes $200 worth of signs for nothing. :cry: :dizzy: :help:

Richard Martin
05-06-2005, 06:17 PM
In my county it is illegal to take someone elses sign. We recently had a case where someone was charged with sign removal. But on the other hand it is also illegal to post the signs and it's double bad if you attach them to a utility pole. Real estate signs are allowed Friday noon through Monday noon. I encounter a lot of signs on one corner that I do. A lot of cars go by the corner so it is popular for signs. There just so happens to also be a clump of trees with a whole lotta overgrown weeds directly across the street. Since it is illegal to take the signs I simply move them from the corner that I cut to underneath of the trees. There is getting to be a very large pile of signs under those trees.

Wayne Landscaping
05-06-2005, 10:17 PM
You think your daughter car kick a guys ass? What are you crazy. Thats competition for ya. You never who it is but i would n't mess with them. Hell, when scrubs are in our neighbord, i say "get the F&%k off my turf" Mafioso Style

crawdad
05-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Well the sign HITLER got me today. He is making me remove all signs. :realmad: :realmad: (stupid HOA) I will get em back somehow. :) Pisses me off there goes $200 worth of signs for nothing. :cry: :dizzy: :help:

Look at it the other way, you got four jobs from them, and you still have the signs. Maybe you can put them up elsewhere?
Who made you take them down? A city official? Can you put a few up outside the city?
Crawdad

lrose2
05-07-2005, 08:31 AM
In my area it is a violation of the zoning code to place signs in plain site, and why would you want to place them where nobody could see them, and the zoning inspectors will remove them in some cases contacting the offenders and threatening or even issuing zoning citations.

lawncare3
05-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Look at it the other way, you got four jobs from them, and you still have the signs. Maybe you can put them up elsewhere?
Who made you take them down? A city official? Can you put a few up outside the city?
Crawdad

I see your point. I did get 5 jobs. It's just the PRINCIPAL of the whole thing... EVERYONE ELSE gets to keep theirs but NOT me cuz I live here. :angry: :dizzy:

dvog99
03-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Sometimes the township officials pull them up.If they are within 8' of the road they can pull them up here. Sometimes i wire tie them to a fence or pole or something like that. I even thought about putting grease around the edges of the sign so when they pull it up they get grease all over themselves.If my signs stay out a week or two before getting stolen then im happy.

CrewCutEnterprises
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
In my county it is illegal to take someone elses sign. We recently had a case where someone was charged with sign removal. But on the other hand it is also illegal to post the signs and it's double bad if you attach them to a utility pole. Real estate signs are allowed Friday noon through Monday noon. I encounter a lot of signs on one corner that I do. A lot of cars go by the corner so it is popular for signs. There just so happens to also be a clump of trees with a whole lotta overgrown weeds directly across the street. Since it is illegal to take the signs I simply move them from the corner that I cut to underneath of the trees. There is getting to be a very large pile of signs under those trees.

Yea Im in AA county, we had a real estate guy who was pissed that everyone put out signs and he would go out and remove them, soon on the back of everyones signs said...."Sign's against Bill lam*" "Dont touch my sign Bill" This got really really bad... So on that note, my signs are cheap...

GO HEREwww.50signs.com
50 signs 102.00
You will thank me

Most of the time i put out signs friday night and by noon sunday they are gone. But at like 30 cents a sign, who cares... I normally get good turn around. These are the signs on stakes but the ones i nail to poles last longer but they are an eyesore...

grasswhacker
03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Sometimes the township officials pull them up.If they are within 8' of the road they can pull them up here. Sometimes i wire tie them to a fence or pole or something like that. I even thought about putting grease around the edges of the sign so when they pull it up they get grease all over themselves.If my signs stay out a week or two before getting stolen then im happy.

grease may work ok, but I would recommend brushing on Tanglefoot insect barrier. Not only is it nastier, but all the bugs that get trapped will be a real deterent to the ones who would remove your signs. :p

firefightergw
03-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea Im in AA county, we had a real estate guy who was pissed that everyone put out signs and he would go out and remove them, soon on the back of everyones signs said...."Sign's against Bill lam*" "Dont touch my sign Bill" This got really really bad... So on that note, my signs are cheap...

GO HEREwww.50signs.com
50 signs 102.00
You will thank me

Most of the time i put out signs friday night and by noon sunday they are gone. But at like 30 cents a sign, who cares... I normally get good turn around. These are the signs on stakes but the ones i nail to poles last longer but they are an eyesore...

Thanks Crewcut. Just ordered some.:drinkup:

AintNoFun
03-05-2006, 07:28 PM
and no one has said anything about this... in my area u even put a yard sale sign on a telephone pole be ready for someone to come knocking!

I use a nails and washers (3) to post my signs on telephone poles. Man it sure makes it tough when someone wants to rip it down. Not impossible mind you, but some of the sign is still there after the attempt! lol
1st year I've used them and they worked better than newspaper ads. :blob3:

CrewCutEnterprises
03-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks Crewcut. Just ordered some.:drinkup:

Sooo cheap... Its worth it.. Your welcome

grasswhacker
03-05-2006, 08:04 PM
and no one has said anything about this... in my area u even put a yard sale sign on a telephone pole be ready for someone to come knocking!

Well that's why I don't live in the Republic of N.J.

FairwayLandscape
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
It was there for 3 months then one night- cut down(with a tool that must have been brought for that purpose) sign had been secured GOOD!

miacharger
03-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Around here the zoning department and police like to fine people for putting yard sale signs so I started making signs with the addresses of the county commissioners and judges witht he name "yard sale" and put them everywhere. Wonder what happened...LOL!??

Killswitch
03-06-2006, 12:16 AM

GO HEREwww.50signs.com
50 signs 102.00
You will thank me

lol....Ya can get a GED for 300 from the same people.

Wierd....

tcls83
03-06-2006, 01:55 AM
I don't like putting up signs, they seem to be ugly to me. But I wouldn't touch other's signs.

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-06-2006, 02:05 AM
I was mowing a yard last summer accross from the only empty lot that is for sale in my neighborhood. While is was mowing the front yard, I witnessed two of the neighborhood kids who are in high school take a baseball bat and punch several holes in the 'for sale' sign.

Needless to say, I watched them 'patch' the sign up with clear duct tape after a neighbor told the kids that he called the realtor and told the realtor where the kids lived. The little sh*ts, I will not tolerate people destroying/stealing other people's property.

If they were my kids, they wouldn't see the light of day...

Dave

mtdman
03-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Rule of thumb around here, signs don't stay up. Better consider them disposable. If I want to stay safe with them, I'll put them up over the weekend only and take them down during the week. County people seem to leave them alone then.

liquidforcedude7
03-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I print stuff the flyer then put it in one of theose page saver things to keep it waterproof, then put like 4, 4 inch nails into each sign so its not guna be fun for someone taking them out....

RB Lawn
03-06-2006, 06:38 PM

GO HEREwww.50signs.com
50 signs 102.00
You will thank me

I can't get the link to work,anyone else getting it to work?

AintNoFun
03-06-2006, 10:16 PM
We used to do a few Wendys.. The manager would call me every sat. morning your guys were here and ran over the Exit sign with the lawn mower again, I talked to the guys and they weren't doing it. This was going one for 3 or 4 weeks till the manager was leaving late one night and saw some kids going to town at it with a bat or something!

I was mowing a yard last summer accross from the only empty lot that is for sale in my neighborhood. While is was mowing the front yard, I witnessed two of the neighborhood kids who are in high school take a baseball bat and punch several holes in the 'for sale' sign.

Needless to say, I watched them 'patch' the sign up with clear duct tape after a neighbor told the kids that he called the realtor and told the realtor where the kids lived. The little sh*ts, I will not tolerate people destroying/stealing other people's property.

If they were my kids, they wouldn't see the light of day...

Dave

CrewCutEnterprises
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
I can't get the link to work,anyone else getting it to work?

web site was down it works now.

RB Lawn
03-07-2006, 12:31 AM
web site was down it works now.

Yeah,I checked back tonight and it is working now,Thanks, that's some good prices.

JustUsDe
03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
You might have the same law on the books that my state has and they are enforcing it. They have a 10ft clear zone law from any roadway. They have dot people ride around and take the signs if they are in violation. They just started fining people on top of that 25.00 per sign.
To be honest with you I think the roadside signs are too tacky anyway. Spend real money and target your area in a local paper.

Ray

LiL Hustler
03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Boy,
I thought you had tons of work to do today in the office. I see you had time to surf the net. I thought you don't go to this site.:laugh:
Kisses,
Sheri

Sammy
03-09-2006, 06:53 AM
I think the signs on the telephone poles are the worst.
Just where ya want your name, inbetween "Lose Weight Fast" and "Make Big $$$ Now !":hammerhead:

oslo
03-11-2006, 01:49 PM
When I was in college, I worked for a lawn care company. The GM had a bonus system for us while we were doorhanging, based upon how many of the competitors signs and door hangers we brought back.

Thought it was a nice way to make extra money back then and to make door hanging more tolerable, never even thought about the cost to the other company.

Freddy_Kruger
03-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Stealing signs is petty but I believe most signs go missing with nieghborhood watch type people. In certain neibourhoods which are upper end and also naturally, the target of sign spam you can't even have dandylions or put your trash out a day early without being ostracized by the community. They take away the signs to keep the neighborhood looking nice. At least I think.

It would be a pretty small minded small business owner that would steal competitions signs.

RedWingsDet
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Around here its the city that pulls them out. Even if you put it on a main road, infront of a commercial building, and have approval from the commercial building, the city will still come by and pull them out.

Freddy_Kruger
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Around here its the city that pulls them out. Even if you put it on a main road, infront of a commercial building, and have approval from the commercial building, the city will still come by and pull them out.
That's right, here to. They mow the centre boulevards and away go all the signs including Garage Sale signs so they're not just picking on their competition.:laugh:

topsites
03-13-2006, 01:15 AM

I stopped doing signs for that very reason, they last a day or two at best... I don't know, somewhere between the competition, kids, and concerned neighbors / community associations...

I'll tell you this much: I don't touch someone else's sign unless it's in one of my yards. To me that's just wrong, there's more than enough work to go around. And yeah, I'd be all for kicking some @zz over this.

easycareacres
03-13-2006, 02:04 AM
At 300 dollars per sign hee we padlock them to poles and remove from roads when done.

lawncare3
03-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I just got told the HOA is going to file a class action law suit against me.

The "president" of the HOA said I am turning this neighborhood into a "slum" and where do "I" (me) get the nerve to put grease on a sign (which I paid for) because he just got grease all over his $65,000 lexus all over the leather.

"Mr president I could sue you for stealing my property, and by the way trying to make up for something? Because the president of the HOA is about as important as a manager at the local wal-mart. I look forward to meeting you in court"

oslo
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I just got told the HOA is going to file a class action law suit against me.

The "president" of the HOA said I am turning this neighborhood into a "slum" and where do "I" (me) get the nerve to put grease on a sign (which I paid for) because he just got grease all over his $65,000 lexus all over the leather.

"Mr president I could sue you for stealing my property, and by the way trying to make up for something? Because the president of the HOA is about as important as a manager at the local wal-mart. I look forward to meeting you in court"

Most places with a HOA have rules about no signs, etc... So even with permission from the home-owner, the guys was probably within his rights removing the sign.

That being said, most of these pompous a$$es want to display their "power" to make up for one thing or another. Best thing to do is apologize if you want to keep doing business there.

And why on earth would any business owner look forward to going to court.

scraper69
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Lawn signs are fine, its those "tacky" plywood signs on the telephone poles that are so unprofessional. In Michigan, they are illegal, and if you want you can rip it right off the telephone pole. But usually the city or county will get to it first. It is an eysore.. and usually a "scrub:" company advertising $12 cuts.:hammerhead:

lawncare3
03-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Well here's a update...

I found my BIG competiton is now into the business of stealing signs also. I caught those little *&^%& taking my fliers and signs the other day. It turns out they get $1 for every competition sign they bring back to the shop. They of corse denied it when I called their reginol office. www.milehiservices.com check out that $35 morons. So here's how it goes I feel taking someone else's signs is WAY outta line and should NEVER be done. But when I spend $300 on fliers and $600 some on signs and they are stolen I feel I can take theirs right? So far I got about 9

Sammy
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Well here's a update...

I found my BIG competiton is now into the business of stealing signs also. I caught those little *&^%& taking my fliers and signs the other day. It turns out they get $1 for every competition sign they bring back to the shop. They of corse denied it when I called their reginol office.
I see they have a disclaimer on their site. ... ;) But, How are they competing with you if they do not offer lawn care ?....( I did not see that service offered on their site)

From the Mile Hi web site.:
Unworthy competitors and so called "consumer advocates" of which we are not "paying" members have tried to disparage our company without success. .....
Although we realize some consumers are "impossible to satisfy"......

lawncare3
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
what I meant was my aeration signs. And my lawncare fliers they rip em all down.

ASBK
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Around here I see every type of advertising you could think of. Flyers on mailboxes, stickers on mailboxes,signs on lamp posts telephone poles lawn signs you name it. This past November there was a nice crop of lawn signs for snow plowing proclaming "over 20 years experience" they dident last more than 12hrs until they got pulled. I also saw many wired to stop signs. I like those one that are wired to ploes 25 feet in the air, the handywork of the southern Ontario lawn monkey.:hammerhead:

JohnnyRocker
12-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I mow a strip center with grass out front by the street ( a busy street ), someone keeps putting their lawn service signs out on the property I mow.... I dont want people to see the nice job I did and think, hmm I'll call that number and let them mow my lawn. So I remove those signs on the properties I mow.....I would never put my signs on their account's property

Place an ad on craigslist for free puppies with their number on it.

MR-G
12-18-2010, 05:22 PM
You might have the same law on the books that my state has and they are enforcing it. They have a 10ft clear zone law from any roadway. They have dot people ride around and take the signs if they are in violation. They just started fining people on top of that 25.00 per sign.
To be honest with you I think the roadside signs are too tacky anyway. Spend real money and target your area in a local paper.

Rayi second that...it gives the impression of a bottom feeder.:usflag:

gasracer
12-19-2010, 02:45 PM
The only time I use yard signs is on my clients personal property with permission. I have one commercial account that I put them on at a intersection. They read "This lawn maintained by"I do not put them on roadways or state property.

delaford321
12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
yeah, people around here pull em up en masse. Irritating.

BrunoT
12-23-2010, 08:45 PM
They have government employees in many areas who do nothing but enforce sign ordinances. The theory is that it quickly gets out of hand otherwise. Even on private property, local laws apply. Eventually you could wind up with someone on a busy corner selling out spots on their lot, so its easier to just ban it all.

ACA L&L
12-23-2010, 09:08 PM
hired a new guy this summer, as were approaching a stop sign he says should i grab it? im thinking he sees a wallet or sumin, nope hes talking about the sign....i say why, he says the owner of the other company would give them

$5 bucks for every sign they brought to him..........wtf. My new hire said he went out on a sat/sun and collected like 50 signs.............owner ended that offer real quick he said....but theres your answer. Just because.