PDA

View Full Version : lawn renovation

vfig777
05-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I have a lawn that had topsoil brought in last year and they tried to grow grass. Very patchy and weeds are all over. I was thinking of bring in a couple more yards of dirt to level off the lawn, get some of roundups 40% concentrate grass/weed killer and bring in compost. I had the soil tested 2 weeks ago and I was told all samples were good except for one area. I picked up som sulfur to treat (already applied the sulfur). Would you agree Im heading in the right direction? If so, should I till the compost in or just throw it on top or do I till the soil and then throw the compost on top (I was thinking throw the compost down and then till).
Thanks

Garth
05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
There are alot of different ways of approaching this situation. I'll tell you want I'd do although it seems you are working the right way. I'd bring in compost and rototill it in to a depth of at least 6 inches. I would then water it to bring up any weed seeds and apply Round-Up to them. As they die off, I'd water again, to bring up the next crop of weeds and kill them off. Do this four times before putting down grass seed. Put a 1/4 inch layer of fine compost or seed cover using a compost roller and keep the seeds moist not wet for two weeks. If you water three times a day for five minutes each time that will suffice. Do not use high nitrogen fertilizers for at least 1 1/2 months. You can use a starter fertilizer when you lay the seed. It will have a high phosphorous content and low nitrogen. Good luck.

gml9
05-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Personally, I have had great success with spraying existing lawn(day one). Waiting a day, then double aerating the lawn, thatching, dethatching, seeding and using a starter fertilizer. This process also will level-out a lawn that has low spots.(one that is not really bad) Several customers have mentioned this in my past jobs. Water 12-15 days once in the morning, heavily, but do not wash seed away. I recommend buying a timer for a sprinkler if they do not have a sprinkler system.

AdamCByrd
05-08-2005, 09:13 AM
What are you spraying the lawn with on day one? Roundup?