PDA

View Full Version : Seed Germination Concern

Summett
05-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm wondering if there is a length of time that seed can be planted without it germinating before you know it's time to reseed.

I planted seed about three weeks ago, and unfortunately the weather got really cool for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I continued to water it thru this period, and now it's been in the 70's the last two or three days, but it has germinated at all.

I'm wondering if it has gone bad and if i need to reseed or should i just have more patience.

Thanks for your assistance.

travtele615
05-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I'd give it some more time. I've had some Scott's Landscapers blend down for a month and just now getting germination with regular water

Travis

olderthandirt
05-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Depend on what kind of seed you planted. Blue grass takes longer and warmer ground temp than rye seed. Give it more time and you might need to loosen the soil on top with a rake if it crusted over

marko
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I have heard of people overseeding in the winter before a snowstorm with good results. Like olderthandirt said, depends what you planted. My bluegrass took 24 days to germinate. That was with a cold spell after I seeded. I would be patient, and keep it moist.

Summett
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replys TravlT, OTD & Marko. I've been trying to keep it moist throughout the day. Guess i'm use to the standard 7-10 germ, but that's usually planted later.

I just one of those impatient fellas... :blob3: We'll see what happens.

thanks again for the replys.