PDA

View Full Version : scag tiger cub vs dixon kodiac

james mcdonald
05-06-2005, 02:50 PM
I have narrowed my search of ZTRs to two mowers the scag 48 inch tiger cub with the 19hp kaw engine and the dixon kodiac 50 inch mower with a 20 hp kohler. The scag is heavier than the dixon. However, the dixon has a much better trim edge, about 6 inches versus 3 for the scag. The scag has a very heavy (7 guage?) fabricated deck. The dixon has a 11 guage fabricated deck. Eventually I would like to install the discharge control chute on either mower so I can open or close the chute from the seat. I am mowing about 3 acres per week. Lots of trees, buildings and a shallow road ditch to address when mowing. I do have a pond embankment with a 10 to 20 degree slope. However, I could continue mowing this with an old case garden tractor if I had to. The scag is $6200 and the dixon is $5200. Any opinions on either of these machines for my purposes, cut, etc., would be appreciated.

I would have also considered hustler, but 50 inches is the absolute maximum width I can accommodate. Hustler's 44 inch had very little trim capability and the next size up is 52 inches.

lawnandplow42
05-06-2005, 07:10 PM
go with the scag, you won't regret it.

MagnumXL
05-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Scag, no question

grass_cuttin_fool
05-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I have the scag and love it, never have tried a Dixon so I cant compare them

MP350
05-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Go with the Scag, the Dixon does not have the quality cut or the ability to hold a hill. I have had a 50" Dixon for 8 years ran great with no problems, just replaced it with a Ferris.

LLandscaping
05-06-2005, 10:34 PM
We have two Scag Tiger Cubs both 48/19 Kawasaki. I would go with the Scag.

joeg2246
05-07-2005, 12:56 AM
SCAG! Spend the extra $$ in the end you will come out ahead with production and less downtime. Complete 11ga deck on the Dixon compared to 7ga skirts and 10ga top with reenforced spindle mounting areas on the SCAG.

Green lawns
05-07-2005, 01:24 AM
The extra money you spend on the scag now will be well worth it many years down the road.

Jason Rose
05-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Go with the Scag, the Dixon does not have the quality cut or the ability to hold a hill. I have had a 50" Dixon for 8 years ran great with no problems, just replaced it with a Ferris.

I run my 50" dixon on any hill you can imigine. Ive also had a walker and a lazer z hp 52" and neither of these could hold a hill as good as my dixons.

The new dixons are really solidly built and run hydraulic pump and wheel motors now. Who cares about 7 gauge decks? this is really really overbuilt. My dixons have the 11 gague decks and I have hit things before with them and have NEVER done any damage to a deck. Just how freaking heavy do you guys want your mowers to be anyways? I prefer LIGHTER. I demoed a grasshopper 52" midmount. 500 pounds heavier than my dixon and only 2 inches wider cut. totally uncalled for excess metal usage just to make people think they are getting somethnig better because it looks like and feels like a sherman tank.

Get your scag if you like, but Demo a dixon if you can. The kodiac is a nice size and the 19 kawi or 20 hp kohler is plenty of power. the ram is also good, same deck, just a little cheaper. Same deck but hydros instead of the hydraulic system and the engines are briggs and go up to 25 hp.

ChadA
05-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Jason,
It sounds like your leaning towards the Dixon to me. I say go with what best fits your needs. I would also have to disagree with the whole heavier is better thing.
I was going to get a kodiac before I got the Exmark 48" W/B but the dealer said it takes a while for parts and he wouldn't let me demo it. So I went elsewhere with mt business. I liked everything I read about it though.
Hows the weather there in Hutch and hows business going?

ToroLandscaper
05-07-2005, 05:14 AM
SCAG you will not ever regret it.

MP350
05-07-2005, 09:36 AM
I have a Dixon 5022,it will go up and down most hills but it will not run sideways on a hill. The front tires swivel down and you are now headed down hill. Now my Dixon 8025 and my new Ferris I1000 will run the same hill sideways with no problems. I also paid about $500 less for my Ferris compared to a new Dixon.

Lbilawncare
05-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Of those choices I would choose Scag. Have you looked at a Dixie Chopper? You can get one with a 24hp Generac for about the same money, and they come with a discharge chute standard.

ed2hess
05-07-2005, 08:00 PM
I didn't think Dixon was in the same class as Scag but I will tell you that we are very happy with our two 48" Scag. The most important thing to us is reliability of the hardware, and we haven't been disappointed with Scag. Take a very close look at the components on the two units with regard to how "beefy" they look.