PDA

View Full Version : Hats

rookie03
05-06-2005, 04:54 PM
What kind of hat does everyone wear? I just wear the typical baseball cap. Does anyone wear the big brim hats? Are they any better at keeping the sun off your face? Post Pics if you have them!

spcfoor
05-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I used to wear just a baseball cap but last year switched to a big brimed hat. It made a world of difference. The baseball cap didn't allow air to flow over my head but the other did and kept me cooler. It also helps with the sun off the back of my neck.

Appalachian landscape
05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I like a full brim wicker hat. Everyone makes fun of me and calls me gringo, but it's like having your own personal shade tree that follows you where ever you go. Really helps out on those hot sunny days.

lawnandplow42
05-06-2005, 07:06 PM
a Number 8 dale jr. bud hat. Just normal baseball cap style.

out4now
05-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Started w/baseball caps. Went to the full brims. Much better.

05-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Baseball style hat but, I prefer the brim hat. Only problem is I wear ear muffs and I can't wear them and a brim hat.

Jozgators
05-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Florida gators baseball cap

touhey33
05-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Notre Dame baseball cap, where it backwards to keep sun off my neck which usually burns worse than my face. Plus I wear worktunes earmuffs so I wouldn't be able to wear a brim hat.

GrassBustersLawn
05-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I wear a desert camo bdu boonie cap. It has a 360 degree rim to help keep sun off face & neck. Also has a draw string for those WINDY days.

Mike

MudslinginFX4
05-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I want a brim hat but I didn't think about not being able to wear my Peltors. Guess I won't be getting one after all.

Eddie B
05-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Fisherman's hat.

TURF DOCTOR
05-06-2005, 09:35 PM
We were boonie hats khaki, blue,and green only thing we can not wear ear protection with these.

HacMan91
05-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Ive got a wide brim landscape hat. I ordered it out of Gemplers. Its kind of netted on the top so when the wind blows I can feel it on top of my head. The Peltors are worn around the back of my head. With this hat I dont get the red neck like years past. I sweat like a horse with a ball cap.

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=109679-KHAS&UID=200505062053491257380391

sheshovel
05-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Yea mee to,can't stand the heat of a baseball cap in summer but do wear one sometimes in winter.I wear a wide brimmed sunhat that has lots of holes for ir,flow and a big bandana that I stick under it to shade my neck.The reason you need to shade your head and most importantly your neck is the sun gets the blood in the veins that go to the brain so hot it will give you heat stroke and that is life threatining.If your skin starts to tingle or you feel a little sick to your stomach,or you see red dots or if you notice your thinking has slowed or you are having a hard time making easy decisions,Then get out of the sun immediatly and get yourself cooled down with water or ice and stay in the shade as long as you can or the rest of the day.

Toy2
05-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Hard hat, white to reflect the sun!! :D

rookie03
05-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Guess I'll have to try out the brim hat. I'd much rather feel better at the end of the day than listening to the Peltors. I'll have to pick up some ear plugs too.

Triple R
05-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Baseball cap in the winter and a vented wide brim hat spring through summer. I've been looking for an Aussie hat, they are like the wide brim hats I use but are made of a light weight canvas and are much more durable and I believe they might even be water resistant, only down side is the price.

On a differrent note I go for the full sun protection. I use pants, long sleeved shirt, and gloves all year long. I actually feel cooler in the summer beigng all covered up. I have been doing this for at least 5 years now and our summer days are usually 95 - 105 degrees. I do go through a couple gallons of water on those hot days.

Triple R
05-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh yeah, I also use the Peltor ear muffs under the hat. I didn't think I could but tried it one day and it worked. Might need to buy a loose fitting hat though.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I purchased some mexican straw sombrero's last year, only problem is they catch to much wind on the Z and blow off, on the walkbehind or weed eating they are fine though

lawnandplow42
05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
i wear a large sombrero

lol j/k

rookie03
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
On a differrent note I go for the full sun protection. I use pants, long sleeved shirt, and gloves all year long. I actually feel cooler in the summer beigng all covered up. I have been doing this for at least 5 years now and our summer days are usually 95 - 105 degrees. I do go through a couple gallons of water on those hot days.

Where do you find long sleeved shirts that are light enough to wear in the summer? Also, do you wear jeans or some kind of light weight pants?

Triple R
05-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Where do you find long sleeved shirts that are light enough to wear in the summer? Also, do you wear jeans or some kind of light weight pants?

I use uniform button up shirts made by Dickies. I do wear denim pants but at my previous employer I used the uniform slacks they are cooler. Once you start to sweat a little your clothes act like a swamp cooler and even a light breeze will cool you down significantly. Now in the summer if I don't use a long sleeved shirt the sun feels like it's burning my skin.

jimslawns
05-07-2005, 02:09 PM
"Baseball style hat but, I prefer the brim hat. Only problem is I wear ear muffs and I can't wear them and a brim hat."

Can't Where your Peltors???

OK, for you all who experience the above.... I have found a hat with a good brim, lightweight, and adjustable size.

Check out Columbia Sportsware Hat at your local camping/hiking store. If you tape the antenna down on your peltors they fit confortably under hat. Was $25 when I got one at the beginning of the season. :waving:

sheshovel
05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Ive got a wide brim landscape hat. I ordered it out of Gemplers. Its kind of netted on the top so when the wind blows I can feel it on top of my head. The Peltors are worn around the back of my head. With this hat I dont get the red neck like years past. I sweat like a horse with a ball cap.

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=109679-KHAS&UID=200505062053491257380391
That looks like a good hat I might try it this year cuz the straw ones just don't last and when I take um off I tend to throw in the truck and you know what happens to straw hats thrown into the cab of the truck..Crush and smash.

Itsgottobegreen
05-08-2005, 01:03 AM
I just wear a baseball had. With (you guessed it, for those who know me) "Wright Commercial product" on it.

sheshovel
05-11-2005, 03:39 AM
I use uniform button up shirts made by Dickies. I do wear denim pants but at my previous employer I used the uniform slacks they are cooler. Once you start to sweat a little your clothes act like a swamp cooler and even a light breeze will cool you down significantly. Now in the summer if I don't use a long sleeved shirt the sun feels like it's burning my skin.
Greenfrog,I have total respect for anyone who can work in the heat of the Central Valley,alot of times there is no breeze how do you stand it then.That has gotta be the hottest hardest to breathe place to work in the U.S.A.what with the air quality that can do permenant lung damage every time you take a breath,Do you work on bad air days?And the heat is like an oven,it's horrible working conditions for you if you are where I think you are I feel not only respect,but I feel sorry for you.

Triple R
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Greenfrog,I have total respect for anyone who can work in the heat of the Central Valley,alot of times there is no breeze how do you stand it then.That has gotta be the hottest hardest to breathe place to work in the U.S.A.what with the air quality that can do permenant lung damage every time you take a breath,Do you work on bad air days?And the heat is like an oven,it's horrible working conditions for you if you are where I think you are I feel not only respect,but I feel sorry for you.

We do have some of the worst air in the country. Not much air movement in the summer and usually 100 degrees. It doesn't feel as bad since I quit my first/last job, I was a spray tech and had to wear alot of PPE. Imagine this in the summer, coveralls, disposable respirator, rubber boots and gloves and heat in the upper 90's and dragging 300' of hose. I thought I was going to die on some of those days. It was hard to walk away from that big paycheck though, I quit three times before I finally walked away for good.

gogetter
05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
For the guys that said they wear (or want to wear) a wide brim hat, but can't use Peltors then, how about the boonies with snaps to hold up the sides?

You would still have the brim to protect your face and neck, but with the sides snapped up, you could still wear Peltors/hearing protection over the hat then.

I don't wear a hat, but I should, and one of these days I'll finally just do it.
It's just stupid vanity holding me back, hats don't look good on me.

I would probably go with a boonie for face AND neck protection.

Smalltimer1
05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Well I normally wear something like this:

But I'm beginning to consider a straw hat, Southern States usually has good deals on them.

Sweetwater
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Basebell 'til it starts scorchin...then the desert boonie, flip the sides up Desert Storm style and put on the muffs. When it gets even hotter, the sides come down and the plugs go in!

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I like a full brim wicker hat. Everyone makes fun of me and calls me gringo, but it's like having your own personal shade tree that follows you where ever you go. Really helps out on those hot sunny days.

Ditto on his hat. If it's above 80 degrees of so and sunny I break out my "Panama Jack" hat. :D Sooooo much cooler and it keeps the sun off my ears and back of my neck! Otherwise I wear a baseball cap, but like everyone else said, too dang hot for my brain in the summer heat! :dizzy:

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 02:04 AM
I have a hat like kenny chesney and toby kieth have.

pagefault
05-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Full mesh club hats.

http://www.clubhats.com/

They fit nicely over the Peltors.

MarcSmith
05-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Duluth Trading Company--has some relaly neat stuff here is one of my faves

Duluthtrading.com

I have mine in khaki, not green

I have the firehose chore jacket as well... some of the long tail polo shirts , I could go on and on. I could buy all of my clothes from them if I the wife let me....

crawdad
05-21-2005, 09:03 PM
I usually wear my Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html)

Cimarron Landscape
05-21-2005, 09:46 PM
hell, ya beat me to it lawncare3.
Yeah, I actually wear a baseball cap for now, but when I get a chance I'll buy a quality cowboy hat. Probably buy a size small so that it won't blow off...
~Brian