PDA

View Full Version : homebrew trimmer racks

Grass Cake
05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Built these trimmer racks this afternoon!

I'm not a professional machinist so...cut me some slack.

You can see the locking tab built on the side...i have a picture of it open/closed
and a picture of how the slide is attached.

:cool:

Mark McC
05-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Looks like pretty good work to me. It certainly is a lot better than I could make.

lawnandplow42
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
.awesome. :)

ed2hess
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
You made the same mistake I did when I mounted my trimmer rack over the tires, it is to high. I moved mine in front of the wheel on the outside which is much easier to get to and then when i put the tarp over the trailer it is easier.

specialtylc
05-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I built mine in front of the tires but the trimmers hang over the fender a little.This has been no problem for us. Mine holds 5 trimmers. What the HECK is that curved shaft trimmer doing on your trailer? :p

jfenton
05-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice job. Looks alot like my Jungle Jims but only for 2 trimmers

Grass Cake
05-06-2005, 08:53 PM
I built mine in front of the tires but the trimmers hang over the fender a little.This has been no problem for us. Mine holds 5 trimmers. What the HECK is that curved shaft trimmer doing on your trailer? :p

hey...it was only $40...and it looks/runs like a new one.

I haven't even used it yet. might put a broom head on it.

Grass Cake
05-06-2005, 08:56 PM
You made the same mistake I did when I mounted my trimmer rack over the tires, it is to high. I moved mine in front of the wheel on the outside which is much easier to get to and then when i put the tarp over the trailer it is easier.

My next project is a side gate for the walkbehind. I need that area
in front of the fender open.

WLC
05-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Nice! Post some pics of the ramp build. Before,during and after would be awesome..... I'd like to do the same to a trailer of mine. Always nice to see anothers perspective.

Mark McC
05-07-2005, 09:21 AM
My next project is a side gate for the walkbehind. I need that area
in front of the fender open.

I have to ask 'cause I don't know: would that affect the rigidity of the trailer in a significant way? I'd love to have that sort of thing on my trailer, but tend to worry it'll mess the trailer up.

Runner
05-07-2005, 09:51 AM
On a ladder type framed trailer, it (sidegate) does affect the sturdiness and structural integrity of the trailer. The only way you can do that, is if you have a wrapped tongue, or if you reinforce the bottom rail HEAVILY.

walker-talker
05-07-2005, 10:53 AM
On a ladder type framed trailer, it (sidegate) does affect the sturdiness and structural integrity of the trailer. The only way you can do that, is if you have a wrapped tongue, or if you reinforce the bottom rail HEAVILY.You beat me to it Runner. I built mine a couple years ago and now never use it. I found it easier and quicker to take off the rider first and mow the front, park it and unload the 36" to mow the back. If you have any questions about building one, just ask.

Here is mine http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=37660

On thing I did wrong was run my expanded metal the wrong way. It's a little slick when it's wet, but I don't use it much so I am too worried about it now.

Mike's Yard Services
05-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Nice job...can you make me a set...............tired of them laying in bed of the truck. Mike