PDA

View Full Version : Did you know...

mkwl
05-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Are you all aware that all mowers produce over 95 decibles. Anything over 85 decibles for over 8 hours WILL cause perminant hearing loss. I always wear my hearing protection when running the mowers and blowers, and hearing protection and safety glasses when running the trimmers. So, if you don't want to loose YOUR hearing, wear hearing protection. Do you?

Appalachian landscape
05-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I always wear hearing protection.

A+ Lawncare
05-06-2005, 09:55 PM
what about 21'' mowers? they don't seem to be but so loud

mkwl
05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
what about 21'' mowers? they don't seem to be but so loud

I borrowed a decibel meter and tested my Snapper 21" w/ 4HP Briggs engine and it was 96 decibels.

AL Inc
05-06-2005, 10:18 PM
I started mowing lawns in 1982 at the age of 10. Didn't wear ear protection when I was a kid and now I definitely have a ringing in my ears. I always wear hearing protection now and have for many years. Just wish I did when I was younger.

stuie
05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Always wondered how guys use machines all day without hearing protection.
Most guys on the local council dont wear them even though under their occupational health and safety regulations they should.
If i go 5 mins without them it annoys the life out of me.
STUART

extoro
05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Always wondered how guys use machines all day without hearing protection.
Most guys on the local council dont wear them even though under their occupational health and safety regulations they should.
If i go 5 mins without them it annoys the life out of me.
STUART

Yeah and it always stumps me to see guys running trimmers without eye protection. What can you say?

Tomt
05-06-2005, 10:33 PM
If it is running, I wear ear & eye protection, mower, trimmer, anything.

Dangerous misconception: when you have lost some hearing and the equipment does not sound loud anymore, protection from additional damage is even more important. Just because it does not sound loud, your are losing what little hearing you have left. This is not opinion, a very good friend is a hearing audiologist.
Much better safe than deaf :cool:

kc2006
05-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I always wear eye protection when trimming, need to start wearing ear protection too. After working on my car for a couple years all the grinder noise has put a hurting on me, have a slight ringing in my ears if it gets quiet and cell phones are horrible.

green thum
05-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Iwear my eye protection 90 % of the time and never wear hearing protection,statring tomorrow eye and hearing protection 100% of the time!!!

Triple R
05-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Eye and hearing protection all the time. I have had debris in my eyes from using all power equipment, blower, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, mower, even rototiller. Lesson finally learned take no chances, you only have one set of eyes and once your hearing goes it won't come back.

Itsgottobegreen
05-07-2005, 01:50 AM
What !!!!!! Speak up I can't hear you

I always have worn my hearing protection. I am very sensitive to high pitch noises. The ear doctor told me I have lost 2% of my hearing over 7 years of running this stuff with hearing protect. It could be worse.

ChadA
05-07-2005, 02:58 AM
I just bought hearing protection this season. I always wear them now. Saftey glasses all the time. I got the ones that are sunglasses to so I even wear them in the truck.

MOW ED
05-07-2005, 05:54 AM
It took 11 replys before Itsgottobegreen...lol... I was waiting for that type of reply.

Yes I use earplugs and have since I started 10 years ago. I also work around loud noises at the FD. I had an entry hearing test 20 years ago when I got into the FD and had another test 2 years ago and my hearing was perfect. You WILL lose your hearing if you do this job with no protection.

Charles
05-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Ya that ringing in the ear sound is a sign of nerve damage. I wear eye and ear protection all the time. I have had objects knock off my safety glasses when weedeating

dfor
05-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Howard Leight, Leightning, NR 31 is all I wear. I constantly see "fools" with backpack blowers on, and not wearing any hearing protection. :dizzy:

grassmanvt
05-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Yup, hearing protection is pretty much a must for most types of equipment we use, someimes it seems as though its not enough, and, now it drives me nuts not having them on because I'm hooked on hearing music all day long. As far as eye protection it is an absolute must when trimming and even on a ztr. Even with glasses on it seems like I've always got something in my eyes. Grass still finds its way in on occaision and the dust is awfull.

wojo23323
05-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Eye protection - Yes. Hearing protection - No. There is nothing as loud as being between the engines of a F-14 Tomcat doing a leak check at full afterburner. It shakes your insides. Always wore double protection when doing that.

EasylyConfused
05-07-2005, 08:24 PM
What about steel toed boots? Anyone wear those besides I?

I always wear those big head phone type ear defenders, Not the plugs. I really wonder how well they work! I feel the ear defenders are better, but I've never tried the other!

My eye protection is Alway's dirty and impossible to see through!