PDA

View Full Version : Help ME!!

GreenGrassEarnsCash
05-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I had i guy ask for a bid the other day. His yard is a half acre lot with about 70-80 trees in the backyard. the front isnt very large but the back is. I quoted him 65 dollars. Does this seem too much/too little/ just right? Just wanted an opinion

MMLawn
05-06-2005, 11:29 PM
If he has 80 trees on only a half acre lot there can't be any grass cause the trees would be side by side and taking up the whole 1/2 acre ;)

1MajorTom
05-06-2005, 11:32 PM
What price did you quote him for handling all these leaves once it becomes Fall?

tinman
05-06-2005, 11:34 PM
If he has 80 trees on only a half acre lot there can't be any grass cause the trees would be side by side and taking up the whole 1/2 acre ;)
Exactly...............

TeamFla
05-06-2005, 11:34 PM

Yup, or really little trees. Much too cheap though if you gotta line trim around 80 trees, no matter the size. Figure your time required.

GreenGrassEarnsCash
05-07-2005, 05:36 PM
the trees were only maybe 5-6 inches in diameter and yes i have realized i under bid the job. It took me 2 and a half hours to mow and trim around all the trees. And that was just the backyard. The front was too wet because he has new sod. I think im going to tell him i wil charge him what i quoted him just this time but next time it will be around 110 dollars. Thanks you guys were a big help.

ed2hess
05-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Keep in mind you really should not be trimming around those trees the trimmer can damage the trees. We use round-up around trees which reduces the time it take to trim. Then if the customer is conerned about the dead grass we convince him to pay for mulch. Can't believe anybody would leave 80 trees in a yard that size.

crawdad
05-07-2005, 08:11 PM
What price did you quote him for handling all these leaves once it becomes Fall?
Maybe he'll mow them into circles around the trees, for free. Like someone we know. :waving: You asked for that one. :laugh:
But seriously,
We all under bid once in a while. You are planning the right thing, charge what you agreed to, and tell him that you underbid, and need to charge more.
If he doesn't take the new price, walk away, don't haggle.
Crawdad

1MajorTom
05-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Maybe he'll mow them into circles around the trees, for free. Like someone we know. :waving: You asked for that one. :laugh:

Phew, 80 trees, I wish him luck. ;)

pagefault
05-07-2005, 08:35 PM

I've got 1/2 acre and well over 100 trees. There's grass everywhere. Here are some "before" pictures, from shortly after we moved in. The last owners didn't keep up with anything, so there was every type of "groundcover" you could imagine. It is slowly getting better.

Most of out trees are clustered in islands, so trimming isn't too bad. I'd do this place for $65.

GreenGrassEarnsCash
05-08-2005, 01:55 PM
When i told him it would take me 3 hours to do the whole thing with my 36 inch mower and otld him it would cost 110 dollars he thought it was a little steep to be getting paid 34 bucks an hour which is actually about 10 dollars an hour less than what i normally make. And hes a doctor

lawn_pro
05-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I've got 1/2 acre and well over 100 trees. There's grass everywhere. Here are some "before" pictures, from shortly after we moved in. The last owners didn't keep up with anything, so there was every type of "groundcover" you could imagine. It is slowly getting better.

Most of out trees are clustered in islands, so trimming isn't too bad. I'd do this place for $65.
Nice looking house....

Greengrass,
I would tell him to forget it, sounds like trouble...

shortgut
05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind you really should not be trimming around those trees the trimmer can damage the trees. We use round-up around trees which reduces the time it take to trim. Then if the customer is conerned about the dead grass we convince him to pay for mulch. Can't believe anybody would leave 80 trees in a yard that size.

come over to our house and I will let you meet my dad and mom they have finally figured out that they do not have anymore room for trees in the yard so now they are planting them outside the fence I really think they are doing this on purpose because they are in their 80's and they are leaving me their mess to clean upor rather deal with . LOL
It gets better they ask us why the grass will not grow

ed2hess
05-08-2005, 03:32 PM
When i told him it would take me 3 hours to do the whole thing with my 36 inch mower and otld him it would cost 110 dollars he thought it was a little steep to be getting paid 34 bucks an hour which is actually about 10 dollars an hour less than what i normally make. And hes a doctor
You made a mistake in talking hours and dollars per hour. People get very upset when they hear big numbers like $44 per hour. Most people look at us as the "lawn boy" who should be making a small amount. And if you have other jobs that you make that much then move on!!

GreenGrassEarnsCash
05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
i didnt actually bring that up he asked me how long it would take me to mow the yard and he figured it out to be 34 bucks an hour