PDA

View Full Version : flower beds and bermuda

counselor
05-07-2005, 12:01 AM
i used a sod cutter to clear out an area for a flower bed. the depth i cut was 2.5inches. bermuda borders the area set aside for a flower bed. my fear is the bermuda will still grow into the bed. any thoughts on what can i do to keep this from happening? i just heard of "snapshot" but don't know enough about it. i got ahead of myself and planted some shrubs and day lillies. any help would be appreciated.

YardPro
05-07-2005, 07:23 AM
vantage or fusilade

AdamCByrd
05-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Have you tried plastic or metal edging? It's kindof a pain to install, but it works like a charm. An edging machine also makes a nice little trench that you can maintain easily with a regular stick edger. Once you get a trench, you could keep it clean with roundup.

Hope this helps.

Jason Rose
05-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I am assuming it was bermuda you cut out with the sod cutter to make the beds in the first place? even at 2.5" you are going to have bermuda roots left and where there's a root, there's going to be a new sprig of bermuda eventually... Edging will help to keep the runners of the lawn out of the beds but it's going to take the chemicals to control what comes up IN the beds.

I am used to our "weed" bermuda here, some call it "cow pasture" bermuda, an un-improved varity that's native to the area. VERY invasive stuff. Maybe if you are working with one of the newer varities controling it won't be so bad.

counselor
05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
thanks for the help. i will put an edge. what kind of chemicals should i use? thanks.

Guthrie&Co
05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
everythime you cut a root it sprouts new growth. if your not careful you might have doubled your work. i would stay on it with vantage or fucilate.