PDA

View Full Version : How many lawns can a solo guy do in a day

Eho
05-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Hey guys, just wondering how many lawns(all average size to small size lawns) can one solo guy mow in one day with a 21 inch mower. The reason I ask this is b/c on Wednesday I mowed 11 lawns solo with a 21. I think I could have mowed at least five more tho b/c I had to go to class at 8 AM and didnt leave to mow until 10 AM. Also, most of the lawns were on the other side of town, once I got there the route was pretty tight but by the end of the day I had driven around 40 miles. I finished with my 11 th lawn about 7 45 which means I would have had time for at least one more before it got dark. Also, If I could have started two hours earlier thats at least 2, maybe 3 more lawns. Last of all, if I wouldnt have spent so much time driving around I could have mowed more. I would say 16 in a day for a solo guywith a 21 is do-able. I packed my own lunch, didnt take any breaks and really busted it. I was gone for exactly 10 hrs and 40 minutes so I thought getting all 11 done that day was good...especially with all the drive time- Just wanted to hear some feedback from yall
EHO

walker-talker
05-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Too many factors involed. With a 21" mower, square footage would be a major factor. Edging and trimming is another factor. I have properties that are 6K sq ft that take as long as a 15K sq ft lawn. Sounds to me though you are doing fairly well.

Triple R
05-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Most I've ever done solo is 22, mow, edge and blow. It was a long day and I don't plan on ever doing that again. I can handle 8-14 on on a regular basis but thats a mix of lawn only and full maintenance accounts. What matters more is not how many but how much $$$ your pulling.

Richard Martin
05-07-2005, 03:35 AM
It's all relative to what you consider small and other varying local conditions. Small to me is 7 to 10 thousand sq ft (actual, not total lot size) of grass that needs to be double cut at this time of year. Throw in 20 minutes of trimming and you're not going to do 11 in 10 hours.

Eho
05-07-2005, 12:04 PM
It has been pretty dry here lately, so the grass really wasnt that thick. This, helped me go faster. Plus, all of these have a nice edge so edging didn't take too long at all. I understand its about the money, but at the end of the day I was wondering how many I could do in a perfect scenario. Also, the temperatures in the 70s helped more than temps in the 90s
EHO

desert rose gardening
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
The most i'v done in a day was 24, my average is 15 a day. I have been doing this for ever so I stop and do 4 here and then 5 there, so I can whip them out like that.

Darryl G
05-09-2005, 12:58 AM
I can't mow any lawns with a 21 inch mower....just not gonna happen.

TheKingNJ
05-09-2005, 02:05 AM
yeah dude, if i even have to pull the 52 wb out that is a strech for me.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Eho,

Two of my crews are one man crews this season. The routes aren't very tight, but my one man crews are doing 13 in a day with no problem. They start cutting around 8:00 and finish around 6:00. They are using 21's too.

Once the bermuda really starts growing, those 13 lawns will take at least an extra hour per day because of additional blower time. The bermuda is usually gowing by May 9th, but not this year.

FWIW, my three man crew has the tightest route imaginable on Thursdays and Fridays. They are knocking out 35 a day...7:00am to 7:00pm.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

txlawnking
05-09-2005, 01:14 PM
If your knocking out that many now, in the 70's, that ain't too bad, however, when we hit the 90's like we always do, you WILL bog down... Other than fatigue, I'd say the REAL limit to how many you can do is drive time... Everybody usually mentions equipment, and sq. footage as big factors, which they are, but if you've got a lot of prop's in the same hood' I bet you could exceed your current #'s if they're small props..

Eho
05-09-2005, 03:11 PM
DFW,
Why one man crews? I m assuming b/c you feel like instead of one two man crew, two one man crews can mow just as fast and cover different areas/ less drive time. Or maybe you just went ahead and got your crews going and dont have all the lawns that you need for another man on the crew. Anyways, 35 in a day is impressive. Do you pay your guys per lawn? I know what you mean about the bermuda; most of these lawns were bermuda too which helped me get through them faster.
EHO

Andrew S
05-11-2005, 07:54 AM
More importantly to how many lawns we can all cut is how much money we earn at the end of the day and how low we can keep our expenses without cutting corners