PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst thing you have run over with a mower?

Triple R
05-07-2005, 01:51 AM
What's the worst thing you have run over with your lawn mower? I bet I have you all beat. This happened a few years back.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK this is not for weak stomachs

I was at an account about 1/2 acre lot with lots of trees. I was using my Scag with the catcher and a velke, mowing at full speed about 5-6 miles per hour. I was hauling on the mower and up ahead I noticed what might be a clump of leaves or something in the lawn. I figured the mower would just pick it up and It would end up in the catcher and that's just what happened. As soon as I hit it I knew something was horribly wrong. There was kind of a thump when I went over it and the smell, The worst thing I a have ever smelled. It smelled like death and that's just what it was. I had just hit a large dead rotting rat. Worst of all is that it was now in my grass catcher! I'm feeling sick just typing this out. Next I did the only thing I could think of I hauled a** to the back of the property where I had a pile of leaves composting and dumped my catcher out. My mower had not picked up all the rat. There was still the tail end on the lawn, that's how I knew what I had hit. I still had to finish cutting the lawn so each time I made a pass by the portion that was still on the lawn I would hold my breath. To this day just thinking about it still makes me feel sick.

This is a true story, now beat that.

Eho
05-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Nothing really exciting, but ALMOST...I few years back I was mowing for my brothers friend and he had an inguana. The iguana escaped from the house and was missing. It blended in really well with the grass and I came really close to hitting it. Other than hitting some rocks, dog turds, dead birds, nothing too exciting here
EHO

grass disaster
05-07-2005, 02:05 AM
i ran over a dollar bill last year. i felt kind of bad about that.

ChadA
05-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Back when I used to work with this other LCO we were mowing an old abandoned house. They were renovating it and the yard was in terrible shape. Branches, leaves, weeds everything you can think of. Grass was over a foot tall in a lot of places. Anyway the other guy was finishing mowing and I was getting the blower out of the truck. In the last few rows was this really tall spot like two feet tall. Now he was really good about checking a property before mowing but I guess not this time. He gets to the spot and slows down a little and then goes for it. We hear a crunching sound as he passes over. He stopped because it was pretty lowd and really bogged down the mower. We went to see what it was, It was a nest with what looked like 4 or 5 rabbits in it. A mother and some babies. Worst part was he had to go back over them because a few weren't killed on the first pass and they were suffering. Made me sick to my stomach. You would think the noise and vibrations of the mowers and trimmers would of scared them away.
Top that.

Appalachian landscape
05-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Worst part was he had to go back over them because a few weren't killed on the first pass and they were suffering.

OMG! LOL! Why not just dispatch suffering animals with a shovel blow to the head? Running over bunnies with a mower TWICE sounds mean.

grasshopperslc
05-07-2005, 03:31 AM
The worst thing I ever ran over was a small bird doing somthing on the ground.The grass was about 1 1/2' tall so I could not see anything on the ground.Like the guy with the rabbit story.You'd think that the noise would scare it away.I didn't feel so good after that.But what can you do in tall grass.

turfmann
05-07-2005, 06:32 AM
I worked on my dad's golf course when I was a kid. I was driving a Worthington F-8 (jeez, I'm getting old) around a pond and snagged a water snake with one of the reels - cut him clean in half. All I can remember is this huge, dismembered snake slithering back into the water, the fact that he was dead hadn't quite sunk in yet. Now, I hate snakes. For me it is a flight or fight response. I damned near jumped off that tractor.

Not too long after that I was mowing fairways with one of those huge 9 gang reel mowers, about 15' wide. I had taken my shirt off and this insect the size of a 747 lands on my chest. I have a similar reaction to the insect as I did the snake - I flailed at my chest with both hands to kill that prehistoric-sized creature - only to realize that I had driven the tractor about 100' into the rough, taking it from 3" down to about 1/2". Big, ugly and yellow.

My new assignment: clean the ball washers.

Maybe I should have become an accountant?

Ol'time Lawncare
05-07-2005, 07:11 AM
last year some time i was cutting this lawn, when i noticed a big pile of **** in the way, at the same time my customer was approaching me to talk. i hate this and i have told her never to do this. soooo, what i did was i ran over the pile and stopped the blades. After we talked, and she was walking away, she was about 30 foot away i engaged my blade and gave her a **** shower. She turned and looked , i smiled and told her . "this is what happens when you come to close to my mower"!

Scottish LScape
05-07-2005, 07:26 AM
last year some time i was cutting this lawn, when i noticed a big pile of **** in the way, at the same time my customer was approaching me to talk. i hate this and i have told her never to do this. soooo, what i did was i ran over the pile and stopped the blades. After we talked, and she was walking away, she was about 30 foot away i engaged my blade and gave her a **** shower. She turned and looked , i smiled and told her . "this is what happens when you come to close to my mower"!
That is funny! Is this person still your customer?
When I was in college, I worked @ a country club during the summer. I was cutting an area that we would do every other week and hit baby bunnies. It was horrible!
Back to a positive note. While doing a Spring clean-up this year found a $50 bill, my powerbroom uncovered it.

heavenlydeere
05-07-2005, 08:02 AM
well it just so happened that the day before i mowed my own lawn , my kids, namely my son , were building a tree house, lots of fun! some where about the second pass i hit something that sounded like a five gallon bucket of scrap metal going through one of those big chippers tree trimmers use, only to my supprise , i just found my 20oz estwing hammer the kids had lost!!!
man you talk about messing some blades up, and it dented the top of my 757s 7 iron deck so bad that it cracked the powdercoat on top!!! we now have a tool check list , each tool must be signed out and especially IN!!!

Green Pastures
05-07-2005, 08:20 AM
I hit a baby rabbit just last week.

I was not to happy about it, but it's not like I tried......just kept right on going.

GrazerZ
05-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Lets see,
Tons of Mice
Bricks
Rocks (I mean the size of softball)
Rebar
section of leafspring from big truck (employee did that one) new spindle.
3/8" spring steel, wraped around spindle, had to remove blade to get off.
Cut the aluminum tops off survey markers, man those fly!
Oh and a rotting dead squirrel

We do commercial propertys and people throw tons off stuff on the lawns week too week, we try to get it all, but its bound to happen.

kc2006
05-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I ran over a very dead squirrel one time, it was on the side of the house and it stunk all the way to the street, that was horrible.

I also ran into a pipe that was sticking out of the ground, it was a pipe with a cap (heavy steal pipe) for the sewer in the area, I was cruising full speed on a lazer like i always did but that day we lowerd the decks 1/2" and it was just enough to catch it. 11mph to 0 in a split second hurt, i would have flown off the mower if it weren't for the control sticks.

Oh and i ran over half a phone book on accident also, there were leaves on it and didn't know it was there, the lazer chopped it up good because it was everywhere after that. These were all when i worked for someone else. The phone book one was funny because the owner saw it afterward and said "what did you do run over a phone book" hehe, we cleaned it up though.

coastallandscapesolutions
05-07-2005, 09:24 AM
A dead skunk and it came out of the shoot onto the house. It took weeks to get rid of the smell. Lucky for me it was a one time cut.

lawnman_scott
05-07-2005, 09:32 AM
A long time ago when i was solo i was doing this feild. I did it once a month. I saw what i thought was a peice of wood and went to move it, and it was the partial remains of an alligator. That was scary, dark out and i was wondering where the others were.

Toy2
05-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I hit a piece of 1 inch rebar, stopped me in my tracks.....didn't see it!!

Mowmoregrass
05-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Nest of rabbits with a Dixie, no need to double cut they did not make the first pass. 8 inch nylar dog bone passed all the way into the hopper of a Walker.

out4now
05-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Worst thing I ever hit was a very large impact sprinkler. The quick coupler type. Made a hernedous noise but never stopped the mower. Blades were pretty damaged. Put new ones on and had to replace a deck spindle. The spindle was already staring to go anyway.

PYMLscape
05-07-2005, 11:44 AM
One time we were cutting down some tall grass with our string trimmer, and hit the bleached bones of a long-dead cat. Bones went flying everywhere. We found the skull and it sat in the shop for years under the name of "Tom Doe". Last year we gave him a proper burial!

Triple R
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
The things we endure to make a living and to think some people think we charge too much.

On a different note, last year I had an elderly client back over 2 kittens then had me go over and dispose of them. One wasn't too bad it was just dead but the other one was run over its head. It was gross blood puddling out its head brains oozing out and its eye balls hanging out. On the possitive side she did give me a Christmas bonus.

Lorge
05-07-2005, 01:54 PM
A thick piece of railroad material. We were doin a cleanup and mowing job right next to some train tracks. We walked the property several times and found lot's of stuff we didn't want to run over. Well we didn't find the piece of iron that bent my mower deck. :realmad: My exmark walk behind got a bulge in the deck right by the spindle. I had to pound it like crazy with a sledge hammer to flatten it back out. It's still not perfect. It vibrates pretty bad now with the blades on. Still cuts good though. This is a good reason why you should only by COMMERCIAL equipment. It takes a whoopin and keeps on workin.

paponte
05-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Probably the worst was a couple of kittens. Momma cat ran away, and when I looked at her run I heard the thumpsplat! Poor things didn;t have a chance. Other than that I would have to say bricks, cement, rebar, rocks, a cemented in flag pole (that one hurt, on a WB w/velke... handle bars to the nuts), oh and I weedwacked a frog or two. :)

DizneyWorld
05-07-2005, 03:32 PM
It was later in the day and I was hot, sweaty, and not attentive at all. Water shut off cap destroyed and cracked one of my blades on a 48 WB, bent the deck, spindle was still good!

I used a 22in mower for some large trimming areas, hit a rock, the mower housing cracked, and oil was going everywhere.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I got you all beat. I ran over my OWN WALLET last year. Must have came out on one pass, I dont know how, but it did. Next pass by I hit something, made a nice thud. Turned to see what I hit, and bam, a nice leather wallet with $112 in it, 2 credit cards, liscense, voter registration, some phone numbers and business cards. Only thing that did not break was the drivers liscense which I thought was weird. But I hated the picture anyway so I got a new one.

HOOLIE
05-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Ran over an already dead Golden Retriever years ago (yes the grass was extremely tall). That killed the engine real quick. The customer said he remembered someone down the street had lost a similar dog a few weeks earlier, must have keeled over in the guys backyard.

Didn't smell too pretty...

pagefault
05-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I did a little lawn care work when I was in college and I ran over an oil filter in a vacant lot. I just about had a heart attack.

One day we were mowing a 15 acre retirement community and I went to get one of the other guys for something. When I got to him, I saw that everything he was cuttin had this really strange, swirly look to it. I stopped him and looked under the mower. One side of one of the blades was bent so that the edge was facing straight down. He swore he didn't remember hitting anything and we never figured out what it was. I'm guessing it was bigger than an oil filter, though.

Gatewayuser
05-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Yesterday I was mowing and lifted the front of the deck on my 52" WB to go over a bump and my middle front caster wheel came off spindle and all. Lets just say my mower does'nt mulch that very well, it stopped the engine dead and bent a couple of brand new blades hurt the caster pretty bad the tire is in a million pieces stretched a belt and the middle deck spindle might be messed up too.

CuttingCrew
05-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Was cutting down some tall brush yesterday with my weed eater on a neglected property clean up, hit a large snake. Guts splattered allover my safety glasses and face. Was already into my third hour of brush cutting and didn't give a crap at that point. Wiped my glasses off on my shorts and kept right on going!

The funniest thing I hit was an old Sunday newspaper hiding under a bush. In on the left side, through all three blades and out the right side. Was on the corner of the lot and the mess covered the ENTIRE front lawn of the four family I was working.

Nothing but good times! :drinkup:

Mike

joe2106
05-08-2005, 02:18 AM
I managed to run over my own front castor. Some how the pin broke and I hit a bump, and lost the castor and wheel. Ruined the rim and tire on a Sat afternoon with a bunch of mowing left to do with no dealers around.

ChadA
05-08-2005, 02:27 AM
OMG! LOL! Why not just dispatch suffering animals with a shovel blow to the head? Running over bunnies with a mower TWICE sounds mean.
We didn't have any shovels with us. He didn't have time to think about it. It was pretty grusome.

Itsgottobegreen
05-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Beer cans
Rebar
Water cap
Rocks
Big rocks
Bricks
5,000 or so golf balls (I cut a lot of houses around a golf course)
Dead bird

My grandfather got a box turtle

lampeslawnservice
05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
A 5/8" inch socket, missed me by that much. Hit a stick the other day, thought i was far enough away from it, nope. Richochet off the tree and thumped me in the forehead. Still hurts after 4 days. Sucked up someones doormat once. These are all at the same property. A not so desireable apartment complex that pays good. Those rotting animals though they take the cake. The smell fills your shop for days. I don't care how many yards after.

tinman
05-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Water meter cover..cast iron...only time I have bent a blade....so far anyway.

Also have ran over log chain, rebarb, huge rock hidden by too tall grass, old wooden swing. :realmad:

J&R
05-08-2005, 11:11 PM
The worst thing you could ever run over with your mower IS A LOW PAYING YARD.

tinman
05-08-2005, 11:14 PM
The worst thing you could ever run over with your mower IS A LOW PAYING YARD.
LOL....Good point :)

r.eckley
05-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Using 21" to mow along RR Tracks on back of lot . Saw a 2ft. bull snake & thought i could kill it with mower, i did, also
killed mower & spent a while diging dead snake out of deck.
Mowing between stones in cem. with mulch kit on LAZER &
lost deck wheel thought it would never quit making noise thought i had ran over corner marker.

l1011100
05-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Killed two baby rabbits the other day. I felt really bad. Good thing there were no kids around to see it. On the second day I had my new Lazer Z I hit a piece of rebar and cut it in half, it stopped the mower when it did it and scared me to death, I just saw my money going down the drain on a piece of rebar. All it did was put a dent in the blade, man that thing is tough.

Eddie B
05-09-2005, 04:40 AM
Was doing one of the county properties and ran over a cat with the 48" WB, splattered it all over a homeowner's fence.

Also hit a horseshoe with the toro 21, split the right side of the deck.

And a rabbit. And endless amounts of beer cans, rocks, balls, birds, bottles, etc.

I hit a large stick with the snapper 28" rider, bent the blade and never bothered fixing it.

Andrew S
05-11-2005, 07:02 AM
The usual debris for us although in recent years no major hassles as the quality of our customers has improved and our target market is more high end.

elamey
05-11-2005, 08:33 AM
I cut a 2-3 foot gardner snake in half and sent it flying once.

Garth
05-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I was doing a property a few years ago with shoulder high weeds in the back part of the yard for an old biker. It was getting late and rather dark but I was determined to finish. As I was cutting I smelled something that had me drooling. I shut down the weed-eater, got out the little torch (flashlight) I keep on a keychain with my sprinkler key and had a look around. Sure enough I had chopped down about ten four foot tall marijuana plants. Now I don't imbibe anymore and haven't for over a decade, but it was a temptation. I finished up, went to the house, got paid,and left. Funny, he never called me back.

yote
05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I have a lot of frogs in my yard. It never fails whenever I weed-eat I always manage to pull one out from under a block somewhere. Always feel bad, but what can you do? :cry:

br549oicu8
05-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Was brush hogging one day and ran over what I thought was a stump. Next round I got a better view of a perfectly decapitated ground hog!!!
Yukkkkk!!!!!!!!

ProCare Lawn Service
05-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Using 21" to mow along RR Tracks on back of lot . Saw a 2ft. bull snake & thought i could kill it with mower, i did, also
killed mower & spent a while diging dead snake out of deck.
Mowing between stones in cem. with mulch kit on LAZER &
lost deck wheel thought it would never quit making noise thought i had ran over corner marker.

Why intentionally kill a harmless snake? Should have just let him go on his way. They, including poisonous snakes), want out of your way just as much as you want them out. I ahev seen several snakes so far this year and most try to get out of the way. If they don't I get off the mower and move them.

lawnandplow42
05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
My former boss had two black guys working for him before I worked with him. One of them leaned up against a barn on the lawn, and took a crap while noone was looking.
Sure enough my boss's father comes around the corner of the barn with the weedwhacker about 5 minutes later, and SPLATTER in his face. Talk about disgusting!!

lawnworker
05-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Sucked up someones doormat once.

I have done this also. It was amazing. :rolleyes:

wacamaster
05-11-2005, 07:23 PM
THIS TOPS EM ALL!!!!! My cut on my lazer was looking goofy which usually means theres a rope or soething caught up in the blades, so I puled 2 tires up on the trailer gate. My worker got down and reached in there when he saw something. I stood up to get off the mower and my pant leg had a whole in it and it snagged the blade engager and pulled it out. My arms were supporting me on the seat when I was getting up so the safety didn't disengage the blades. Well the blades got going quick enough to chunk the **** out of his arm. It didn't take his arm off because he got it below the blades.

muddstopper
05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
THIS TOPS EM ALL!!!!! My cut on my lazer was looking goofy which usually means theres a rope or soething caught up in the blades, so I puled 2 tires up on the trailer gate. My worker got down and reached in there when he saw something. I stood up to get off the mower and my pant leg had a whole in it and it snagged the blade engager and pulled it out. My arms were supporting me on the seat when I was getting up so the safety didn't disengage the blades. Well the blades got going quick enough to chunk the **** out of his arm. It didn't take his arm off because he got it below the blades.

You have got to be kidding, you had someone stick their arm inside the mower deck with the engine running!!!!! Ever hear of lock-out tag-out. This is where the engine is cut off and the switch locked out where it cant be accidently cranked or turned on.

goodbeus
05-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Read one here a while back where this guy and a helper we're cutting a vacant lot...his helper hit something that shut-down the walk-behind...guy said it looked like he had wrapped a blanket around the blades, so he went over to help untangle the blanket and it turned out to be a python... ;) ...WOW...

Zr2_thunder
05-11-2005, 08:20 PM
small water snakes
Turtle
Baseballs
Golf balls
rebar
Rocks
Old sign post in tall grass

All of these were in diffrent property's typically with tall tall grass

One of the rocks i hit i lauched over a roadway and into the back window of a moving minivan. thank god no one was in the back seat.

nitrotim
05-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I was doing a property a few years ago with shoulder high weeds in the back part of the yard for an old biker. It was getting late and rather dark but I was determined to finish. As I was cutting I smelled something that had me drooling. I shut down the weed-eater, got out the little torch (flashlight) I keep on a keychain with my sprinkler key and had a look around. Sure enough I had chopped down about ten four foot tall marijuana plants. Now I don't imbibe anymore and haven't for over a decade, but it was a temptation. I finished up, went to the house, got paid,and left. Funny, he never called me back.

Today a piece of F@#@&# chain link fence, totally ate two of the three blades. They went right in the trash.

Me to Customer: I walked around is there anything I can't see since the grass is so high (two foot).

Customer to me: Nope I cleaned the yard up. If you can't see it there is nothing there.

Triple R
05-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Have any of you ever charged the client for damage done to the mower?

Years ago I had just picked up my reel mower from the repair shop after having it sharpend, and the first stop was a hybrid bermuda lawn. Started mowing the perimeter and some how I didn't see a small rock in the lawn. As soon as I hit it the mower started making a bad noise in the reel. I loaded it back in the trailer and took it back to the shop, it ended up costing another $150 to repair. I didn't charge the client for the damage.

Grass Masters
05-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I rember when I was a kid I found a Walter Peyton Rookie card and was running over to my friends house and dropped it and didnt notice it and turned around and My dad had mowed it into a million pieces BOY IF I STILL HAD THAT CARD

1MajorTom
05-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I rember when I was a kid I found a Walter Peyton Rookie card and was running over to my friends house and dropped it and didnt notice it and turned around and My dad had mowed it into a million pieces BOY IF I STILL HAD THAT CARD
Well, well, well, long time no see, NC

HydroGearHead
05-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I hit a duck once. Damn feathers everywhere. I was coming around the corner and it happened really fast. That was 6 years ago and I still feel bad about it today I really didn't mean to.

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I can handle sticks, even the ocasional rock (tho it makes me mad to damage a blade) but dead birds are about the worst! I will avoid a dead bird at all cost due to the stench of death you have to endure after sucking one of these bad boys up. Enough to gag a maggot.

Another item high on the list of things I don't want to hit, tho it has no smell... Is wire rope, aka aircraft cable. I had a Tractor Supply I mowed at years ago and I caught the cable that they run through their stuff they have sitting outside(that they stupidy tossed into the weeds). It was small cable but good lord, it wrapped up about 20 feet of it before I could kill the blades. What's horrible is that this stuff is designed to NOT be cut. What a nightmare to untangle that was!

Jason Rose
05-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Ok, in reading these I had a memory jog...

Too many toads to mention
a number of bunnies *very sad*
an aluminum baseball bat! It ended up skewered thru the core on one of my blades!
squrillels
dead cat
water meter cap(new blade)
old utility pole guy wire anchor (cost me a new blade, spindle, and bearings)
Improperly installed sprinkler heads
One brass sprinkler head next to concrete. didn't hit it with the blades but got the front caster of the WB stuck between it the the concrete and my nuts got to know the handle fast. PAIN!!!
10 million sticks.

Guthrie&Co
05-12-2005, 10:22 PM
barbwire fencing with a 8 foot bush hog. what a mess that was