PDA

View Full Version : trimmer rack

The mayor
05-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Does anybody make a trimmer rack for a exposed trailer that the trimmers don't spin on the rack. I always have to bungie mine in place. so they don't turn and damage the trimmers. So what I am asking for is non spin,damaging and lockable. Is there such a rack.

dkeisala
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
I just bought a trimmer rack made by Green Touch and paid $189 for it. Bought it after a trimmer was stolen out of my trailer, it's much cheaper than buying new trimmers.

It bolts on using 4 bolts, super easy to install. The whole unit is covered in heavy vinyl which prevents equipment damage. Holds three trimmers/stick edgers/pole saws that are held in by heavy pins that are inserted into one of three slots making it adjustable to accomodate different trimmer dimensions. The pins can be put in at an angle, making it even more versatile. The pins have a hole at the bottom which a padlock (included with the unit) can be placed in to prevent theft.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-07-2005, 12:49 PM
I purchased this rack from preco, the trimmers may turn 1/4 turn but dont spin, Im not saying its the best but when compared to other racks and the price, it is an economical choice. Here is the link
http://www.precoparts.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1015&CFID=576449&CFTOKEN=68567702

dkeisala
05-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I bought that Preco rack and it was crap. Did more damage to my trimmers than I saved had I paid up for a better one. Then, after a couple of months, the cheap angle iron they build them with developed a crack and split in two. I'm all for saving a buck, especially when money is tight but man, if you can afford it, buy something a little better. Sometimes you get what you pay for and you'll end up saving money in the long run.

grass_cuttin_fool
05-07-2005, 01:06 PM
I go along with cheaper is not always better, I will keep an eye on mine and check for cracks, I thought also they could of used stronger angle iron, but I do like the way it holds the trimmer, thanx for the heads up

Tharrell
05-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Take a good close look at Trimmer Trap. I have the tt2 pro 4 and it's perfect. It holds 4 trimmers and they don't spin. One lock for the whole thing. It's also the easiest to operate. You can load/unload with one hand. Granted, it cost $229 but I wanted it. I think the 3 place unit is $179. It's worth it if you have 900-1200 worth of equipment to lock up.

brinlee lawn
05-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I have the trimmer trap racks also, the only problem I have encountered is if you have more than one brand of trimmer, say a Stihl and a Shindaiwa the Stihl's handle is wider and will not let it shut all the way to keep the shindaiwa from spinning.

Quality Cuts PLS
05-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Mayor, Check out Gridiron by Novae Corp., they are adjustable to hold the trimmers in place. They are excellent racks made out of extruded aluminum, and cad plated parts. The are modular in design, so you just purchase what you need, height of racks, trimmer holder, blower holder, chainsaw holder, sprayer holder, cooler holder, lock system, etc. The hold up well, have a lifetime warranty, and a performance guarantee. I have used Trimmer Trap, and Green Touch, they are alright, but don't match the versatility of Gridiron.
I have had some for eight years and they still work fine and look great. Definitely worth every penny.

The mayor
05-07-2005, 06:41 PM
thanks for all the input,now to do some final research and do some ordering. This will be the first year that I won't be buying any mayor equipment.( mowers and the such) But I did need a new rack.

Tadams
05-07-2005, 07:37 PM
All I use are the green touch racks and I love them. They might be a little on the expensive side but they do a great job of protecting your equipment. If you buy them the first thing you need to do is throw the locks that came with them away. They are cheap, can be broken easily, and the keys that I have will open the locks that you will have.

PLM-1
05-08-2005, 01:34 AM
Mayor, Check out Gridiron by Novae Corp., they are adjustable to hold the trimmers in place. They are excellent racks made out of extruded aluminum, and cad plated parts. The are modular in design, so you just purchase what you need, height of racks, trimmer holder, blower holder, chainsaw holder, sprayer holder, cooler holder, lock system, etc. The hold up well, have a lifetime warranty, and a performance guarantee. I have used Trimmer Trap, and Green Touch, they are alright, but don't match the versatility of Gridiron.
I have had some for eight years and they still work fine and look great. Definitely worth every penny.

ditto that! Gridiron is the ****. Couldn't live w/o mine!

language

MagnumXL
05-08-2005, 08:44 AM
All I use are the green touch racks and I love them. They might be a little on the expensive side but they do a great job of protecting your equipment. If you buy them the first thing you need to do is throw the locks that came with them away. They are cheap, can be broken easily, and the keys that I have will open the locks that you will have.

Here is a less expensive version of the green touch racks. They are vinyl coated to protect the trimmers from damage and they work great. They cost me $139.95 at my dealer.

http://www.havenerenterprises.com/EquipmentGuard.htm

Jason Rose
05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Trimmer Trap, Trimmer Trap, Trimmer Trap. The TT-2 will not let your trimmers bounce and spin like all those that have square shaped openings for the trimmers. Not to mention that most others only bolt to the top rail of your trailer. If your top rail is not as solid as a rock the 3 foot of racks and the weight of the trimmers will flex it and your trimmers will get a nice beating. The trimmer Trap racks bolt (or weld) to the top rail and then continue down all the way to the trailer deck to bolt to the bottom as well. Rock solid.

DND Outdoor
05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
A lot of these trimmer racks are designed to to mount w/ a flat side of the angle iron of the trailer, my trailer is pipetop and therefore round. Does anyone know of a rack designed to mount on round pipe and not angle?

stumper1620
05-08-2005, 09:52 AM
A lot of these trimmer racks are designed to to mount w/ a flat side of the angle iron of the trailer, my trailer is pipetop and therefore round. Does anyone know of a rack designed to mount on round pipe and not angle?
you could use a trimmer trap & drill holes in the angle, put a muffler clamp on it then use a chisle on the theads so it cannot be removed, or just tack a weld on it.

gl1200a
05-08-2005, 10:04 PM
I hope the Gridiron by Novae Corp is as good as I read here and in their literature. After reading here and the info from the company I found two for sale on eBay and bought one of them. It looks very solid and useful. Thank you.

Itsgottobegreen
05-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Green touch is the only way to go. I have been wanting a set for 7 years now. The vinyl coating protects everything. My old TSC brand, did alot of damage to my stuff. So I decided to spent almost $680 for mine. But they keep everything very secure. The trimmer racks have adjustable spacing to prevent any trimmer from spinning.

For $680
1-4 place trimmer
2-blower racks
1-hedge trimmer rack
4-enclosed tool racks.
Shipping

The C Man
05-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Green touch is the only way to go.
Have you ever seen a Gridiron setup?

Appalachian landscape
05-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Well I guess I'll say it. Jungle jim's gear caddy is great.

gl1200a
05-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, we all have our favorites and preferences. I wasn't going to purchase one yet and knew such little about them. I found this a great posting about the different styles and makes and did some research and found I really liked the modular design of the Gridiron and that it was also aluminum, as my trailer is, so as to avoid the corrosion caused by the different metals touching. I found it to be very adaptive in a combination of trailers and assortment of equipment as my business will (hopefuly) grow.

I did some quick looking and found (what appeared to be) a good deal for a Gridiron system with several racks on eBay. So I was the bid that won and it is on the way. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all the advise.

Itsgottobegreen
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Have you ever seen a Gridiron setup?

Yea, but it was years ago. I always wanted Green Touch. When I started out at 13 years old, this big out fit near me had 8 trucks and enclosed trailer all with green touch. I wanted to be just like them. (well with at least one truck) Next is to get the new truck. Then have the truck and trailer painted green to match with all the lettering, etc.

ProCare Lawn Service
05-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Check out Gridiron by Novae Corp., they are adjustable to hold the trimmers in place.

Do they have a website?

gl1200a
05-09-2005, 11:36 PM
www.novaecorp.com

Drew Gemma
05-10-2005, 09:53 PM
how much does a new gridiron set run any prices anyone!

gl1200a
05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
If you go to the website and fill out the form they will have a dealer call you is the only way I see to get pricing.

Quality Cuts PLS
05-11-2005, 09:13 AM
These prices are from 2001, and may have changed a little. The price depends on which pieces you choose, because of its modular design you can buy just what you need now and expand later. I spent around 900.00 with shipping to rig my trailer and I have 8 posts, 4 trimmer sets, blower rack, sprayer rack, cooler rack, hedge trimmer scabbard, chainsaw holder, and 2 lock sets.

POST SETS
PS-18 1.5' post set(2 posts) & mounting hardware $52.43
PS-36 3' post set & hardware $72.04
PS-48 4' post set & hardware $91.49
PS-60 5' post set & hardware $102.93
COMPONETS
TB-01 Trimmer Bracket set $34.28
BP-02 Backpack Blower Holder $57.16
WC-01 Water Cooler Holder $40.00
SH-01 Sprayer Holder $40.00
HT-01 Hedge Trimmer Scabbard $19.85
CS-01 Chain Saw Holder $63.13
CB-01 Chain Saw Bracket $12.59
LS-60 Lock Set $22.83

You can also buy individual parts if needed. Some parts they will even pro-rate in some situations. By the time you rig everything out, it is about the same price as any other brand; except that you are getting a performance guarantee, lifetime warranty, modular design, extruded aluminum, that will not rust, performs and look great after several years.

You can buy direct from Novae, get your dealer to call and order it, or some Husqvarna dealers offer it through Huskys product line.

I hope this info is helpful. I highly recommend this product.

Please bump ttt.

daveyo
05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I just ordered the gridiron product PS-48 4' post set & hardware, two TB-01 Trimmer Bracket sets and one BP-02 Backpack Blower Holder, total cost shipped to me was $249.00. With a lifetime guarantee and praise from product users, I'm hoping for a great product.

O'Donnell Landscaping
Galloway NJ

gl1200a
05-25-2005, 09:29 PM
If you want a Gridiron system check this deal out before spending more money. I got the same thing for $199.00 last week. It's very heavy duty and well engineered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=4366234430&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

surfisher211
05-25-2005, 10:06 PM
my new trailer has tubular rails ,does anyone know of a web site that sells trimmer holders for the tubular trailer. rails or how you would go about mounting the standard trimmer holders any help is appreciated.

Petr51488
05-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Why not just make your own? I purposly made my own for the same reason you want to buy them. So they don't spin around. This will put a nice grip on the trimmer and it doesnt move at all.. Take a look at the pics.. All it is is a few 2x4's and a few bolts. - Peter

beaver
05-25-2005, 10:37 PM
my new trailer has tubular rails ,does anyone know of a web site that sells trimmer holders for the tubular trailer. rails or how you would go about mounting the standard trimmer holders any help is appreciated.

I have gridiron. Very pleased with it. The instructions say it can be mounted to tubular rails. It also has a diagram showing how to do it.

gl1200a
05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Surfisher, you can use any rack and attach with U clamps.

elamey
05-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Why not just make your own? I purposly made my own for the same reason you want to buy them. So they don't spin around. This will put a nice grip on the trimmer and it doesnt move at all.. Take a look at the pics.. All it is is a few 2x4's and a few bolts. - Peter

This is EXACTLY what I use. Cheap, durable and can be re-configured almost endlessly. Just remove the clamps and screw them back into the wood.

To keep my trimmer from moving......first off I have a Stihl trimmer. I use the shoulder strap clamp to keep it from spinning. The shoulder strap clamp is a circular clamp that attaches around the shaft. You tighten it up and a tab sticks up with a hole in it. That tab is where you attach a shoulder strap, I don't use one so it's perfect for locking the trimmer in the clamp. I put that tab in the clamp and it doesn't move. My backup trimmer is a cheapo so I just put the handle in the clamp.

My trailer is enclosed, so I don't have to lock the trimers down, but it seems like you could come up with some kind of locking system pretty easy. Either bicycle cables or locks on the clamps or a peice of wood that you lock the shafts in with. Kind of like an old style gun cabinent. Where you set the guns in, then swing a piece of wood over to cover the other side of the shafts, then lock that peice of wood with a padlock or something.

FIREMAN Q
04-09-2006, 11:40 PM
:drinkup: Why not just make your own? I purposly made my own for the same reason you want to buy them. So they don't spin around. This will put a nice grip on the trimmer and it doesnt move at all.. Take a look at the pics.. All it is is a few 2x4's and a few bolts. - Peter

Now that you have had your racks for a while, how is it working for you??? I would think that there might be some wear on the shafts with the metal on metal. Looks like this is a great, simple, and cheap way to go. Please any info, things you would have done different??? thanks for posting these pics

PSO058
04-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I just purchased a three place Gridiron rack on ebay for $49.00. Hope it works like you guys say.

joeg2246
04-23-2006, 07:59 AM

Just watched the video at www.novaecorp.com and man i am sold. that is the only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daner
04-23-2006, 08:44 AM
I made my own...like all the outher gadgets i have around here
It just holds 2 trimers and i have the power broom in one rack all the time
They lock as well...It grips the rubber handels tight also there is no metal against metal i lined the part that goes around the handel with rubber
Heres a pic its not finished just the bottom holder is done

dtelawncare
04-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I made a rack for my trimmer. I welded it up myself. Used square tubing, took 2"X1/4" flat steel and rolled each end into a C shape. I then cut each piece about 6" long and welded them up level. I cut another peice of it and notched out a place for it to swing down over the shaft. Hole it the two pieces for a lock. I covered both ends with soft foam and wrapped them with electrical tape. I have to strap a bungee from the bottom of the head to the trailer. Takes about 20 sec to load or unload the trimmer. Cost me about $25 in metal and works great. Having your own welder in your shop is a great investment.

Daner
04-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I made a rack for my trimmer. I welded it up myself. Used square tubing, took 2"X1/4" flat steel and rolled each end into a C shape. I then cut each piece about 6" long and welded them up level. I cut another peice of it and notched out a place for it to swing down over the shaft. Hole it the two pieces for a lock. I covered both ends with soft foam and wrapped them with electrical tape. I have to strap a bungee from the bottom of the head to the trailer. Takes about 20 sec to load or unload the trimmer. Cost me about $25 in metal and works great. Having your own welder in your shop is a great investment.
I agree with you saying that a welder is a great thing to have around the shop
Its more fun when yaa make your own stuff
ps my pic never loaded...its on I,m building a trailer thread

JTF40
04-23-2006, 10:21 AM
I have a Gridiron, also. Never rust and extremely strong/durable.:usflag: